• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Mitchell for Bowen, looks like sense to me. Can't upset West Ham though. They won the World Cup or something

Five at the back means leaving out at least one of the big stars, probably two.

Leaving a left back at home and it goes tits up and you get shit. Leave Foden or Bellingham at home and it goes tits up and its career terminal
Wouldn't have left Foden or Bellingham at home, but neither of them 'walk in to the team' either, particularly when they are not playing well. In each others way a lot of the time yesterday.
Gordon would have hugged the touchline and given us more width and Bellingham more space.
He needs to either play Bellingham or Foden centrally and drop the other one for Gordon.

Or play 4-1-4-1 and play both and Gordon. Depends on Rice having rather large cojones in defensive mid but I would love to see it

Or play 4-1-4-1 and play both and Gordon. Depends on Rice having rather large cojones in defensive mid but I would love to see it
I don't think it's the formation or the players (other than TAA), it's the mentality and the attitude.

We need to be more aggressive when we haven't got the ball and more positive with our running/movement when we have.

Well, there clearly is an issue with Trippier being a bit past his best and needing protection, so that emaciates the left side a fair bit. There is the issue of central mid for some reason lacking out of position bite. Now you can blame that all on TAA out of position, but Rice was on an off night. He won't be that poor again.

All in all though, some more speed and accuracy through transitions shouldn't be beyond these players. Most of them are fucking good.

Someone said that we should pick Gordon as he would hug the touchline and therefore give the team some badly needed width - not a bad idea at all .
You have to remember though that hugging the touchline is exactly what he often does at Newcastle because that is his instruction and brief .
What instruction would he get if Southgate gave him a starting slot ? Would it be to hug the touchline ? I have my doubts .

Someone said that we should pick Gordon as he would hug the touchline and therefore give the team some badly needed width - not a bad idea at all .
You have to remember though that hugging the touchline is exactly what he often does at Newcastle because that is his instruction and brief .
What instruction would he get if Southgate gave him a starting slot ? Would it be to hug the touchline ? I have my doubts .

Saka manages to do it on the other side. He can't really have a plan to leave one area as an attacking no go zone. If you look at the average positions of the England/Denmark players yesterday there is a huge gap on the left hand side. Trippier wasn't going into it and Denmark didn't have to defend it which means that we become too easy to defend against.

Ukraine changing the keeper worked out well then.

Poland v Austria: it's the international version of Burnley v Watford- apart from the fans of the 2 teams playing, who actually cares?

Austria are fantastic to watch. Gegenpress on steroids.

Poland v Austria: it's the international version of Burnley v Watford- apart from the fans of the 2 teams playing, who actually cares?
I went so at least someone did. 😂 Both fans were in very good voice, Austria brought massive numbers.

Actually a really good game. Austria look well-drilled and created a lot of chances, capitalised well on errors. Poland did their usual thing of not turning up at a tournament. Embarrassing record for a country of their quality, Lewandowski was a passenger off the bench and you would think this is the end.

If Austria end up facing England through that maze of third place routes I would be decently concerned.

Back