• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Where are we on the 7 to miss out after last night...

Trafford, Quansah and Jones.
Then 2 from Gomez, Dunk, Shaw if not fit, Konsa.
Then 2 from Bowen, Grealish Maddison, Eze Palmer, Toney, Gordon.

so...

Trafford, Quansah, Jones, Dunk, Gomez (if Shaw is fit if not Konsa), Bowen, Gordon.

Bowen and Gordon are fine players but I can't see a scenario where they'd play.
Shaw has to go surely, unless completely broken, he's the only left back there. I quite like Konsa but as you say not sure he'd get a game.
I'd actually take Gomez, think he's been ok this season and can play across the back line.
I'd be leaving Grealish and Maddison behind, not played much this season and been largely wank when they have.

Completely agree, I was very impressed by Wharton, creative and looks like he has all the time in the world. Scholes-esque.
Wharton looked a class above anything else in midfield during his cameo. Available for every pass, moved the ball quickly [often one touch] and had the confidence on debut to be telling established players where he wanted it and pointing out available options to them. Obviously you can't hear them on the TV, but he looked like he was talking several through the last fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
Shaw has to go surely, unless completely broken, he's the only left back there. I quite like Konsa but as you say not sure he'd get a game.
I'd actually take Gomez, think he's been ok this season and can play across the back line.
I'd be leaving Grealish and Maddison behind, not played much this season and been largely wank when they have.
Maddison has been way better than Grealish this season. Granted he's not been at the level of others in the squad, but he's not been wank by any stretch.

Maddison has been way better than Grealish this season. Granted he's not been at the level of others in the squad, but he's not been wank by any stretch.
Probably my anti Maddison bias, but anyway there are better options.

Maddison has been good in his last two England cameos against Belgium and Bosnia. He's got something different to throw on for the 20 minutes if chasing a game. I'd never be starting him but he's an option from the bench.

Where are we on the 7 to miss out after last night...

Trafford, Quansah and Jones.
Then 2 from Gomez, Dunk, Shaw if not fit, Konsa.
Then 2 from Bowen, Grealish Maddison, Eze Palmer, Toney, Gordon.

so...

Trafford, Quansah, Jones, Dunk, Gomez (if Shaw is fit if not Konsa), Bowen, Gordon.

Bowen and Gordon are fine players but I can't see a scenario where they'd play.
My choice of squad:

Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson
Walker, TAA, Trippier, Shaw, Konsa, Maguire, Stones, Dunk, Gomez
Rice, Wharton, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mainoo
Saka, Palmer, Foden, Eze, Gordon, Grealish
Kane, Toney, Watkins

Similar to yours Johnny, although I would have Branthwaite in over one of Dunk or Konsa. Disappointed that Southgate didn't give him any minutes in the previous friendlies as going forward I think he will be our best CB option to go with Stones.

My choice of squad:

Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson
Walker, TAA, Trippier, Shaw, Konsa, Maguire, Stones, Dunk, Gomez
Rice, Wharton, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mainoo
Saka, Palmer, Foden, Eze, Gordon, Grealish
Kane, Toney, Watkins

Seen plenty of column inches suggesting its Watkins or Toney. Personally I think that is madness as it would only take an injury to leave your other option almost having to play 120 minutes in a knockout game or using an attacking midfielder/wide player.
Hobbs and Shi wouldn't agree with me though.

The Athletic reporting Maddison the first to be cut from from the 33. As they always get the news leaked to them it's likely to be accurate and not really a surprise.

Curtis Jones also left out - this will drip feed for the next two days.

Baffled how Gallagher still goes ahead of him.

Don't play the same role at all, do they

Maddison is up against the likes of Eze and Palmer (who both still probably won't start the tournament, they'll be behind Foden and Saka) and they've had far better form in 2024

Gallagher is up against Mainoo and Wharton to partner Rice

Ornstein saying Maguire is ruled out with injury and Grealish will miss out too.

We are so blessed with forward talent that it probably doesn't make a difference but I'd have Grealish ahead of Bowen or Gordon.

Grealish offers great control off the bench to help see out a game imo so I’m a bit surprised but he’s not really played much at all recently.

Great that Eze and Wharton look like they’re in but k doubt we’ll see much of them

Back