• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

It's us or France for me. People go on about Southgate but Deschamps has had even better players and by the metrics applied to Southgate, has "failed" 4 times out of 5, including in a home tournament. They aren't as good as they were when they won the World Cup either, Kanté and Giroud still hanging on way past their best and others from that squad haven't been replaced with the same standard. But they're the two squads with the most quality.

Germany trading off a couple of good friendly results in March, home advantage and nothing else - they have been bloody awful on the whole for about 6 years now.

I like the Dutch defence but I don't know where their goals are. Spain still stuck with a load of technically brilliant players but what's the actual end goal, and they've been poor in tournaments for a long time now. Portugal still clinging on to Cron as if he wasn't finished years ago (he will be a massive outlier in terms of being an outfield player who played in tournaments 20 years apart [he played Euro 2004], which is pretty crazy to think about). We beat Italy easily enough twice in qualifying. Belgium have already missed their chance, surely.

Last edited:
It won't, neither the defence or manager are good enough to win it. One could cover the other, not together though. It's a shame as elsewhere on the pitch we have the best squad by far.

Bar the issue at LB (and I'm sure Trippier played at least one game there last time) it's the same defence and keeper that conceded 2 in 7 games at the last Euros?

It won't, neither the defence or manager are good enough to win it. One could cover the other, not together though. It's a shame as elsewhere on the pitch we have the best squad by far.

Which of the nations who could win it have top class coach in charge though?

Bar the issue at LB (and I'm sure Trippier played at least one game there last time) it's the same defence and keeper that conceded 2 in 7 games at the last Euros?
Both first choice centre halves have barely played recently

So we’ve won 4 knockout games in that time and 3 came under Southgate in the same tournament.
We're rancid at the Euros. We were fortunate last time in that nearly every game was a home fixture and the run to the final was gentle.

England beat anyone it’s because they’re rubbish, win anything it’s down to sheer luck.

It was trumpeted as a huge triumph at the time but we were at home versus one of the worst German teams in years. Did you not expect us to win?
Given England hadn't beaten Germany in a knockout game since 1966 prior to that win, no I absolutely did not expect us to win, and neither did the vast majority of England fans at the time either.

Massive revisionism.

There was plenty of we "should" beat them, but also that we never do, so we won't.

But to suggest Germany is a gentle fixture is utterly disingenuous

There was plenty of we "should" beat them, but also that we never do, so we won't.

But to suggest Germany is a gentle fixture is utterly disingenuous
Not as gentle as Ukraine and Denmark, no. But we were favourites to beat Germany. There was huge hype around it because it's Germany and because we never beat them when it matters but we were still favourites.

We were the favourites in those games for a reason though!

Not as gentle as Ukraine and Denmark, no. But we were favourites to beat Germany. There was huge hype around it because it's Germany and because we never beat them when it matters but we were still favourites.

The reason we were favourites was more down to us having a good side than the opposition being rubbish.
If you’re favourites in 4 of your knockout matches v Germany, Ukraine, Denmark & Italy id say it points to you being good not lucky.

Imagine this happening now. Bobby Robson shuffling away like a Grandad on the dance floor at a wedding, Mick Harford (inexplicably wearing a different top to everyone else) looking like he'd rather be anywhere else (and he didn't even make the squad in the end, so he had to demean himself for no reason), some peak 80s school gym equipment on show, all on prime time BBC One.

At least Tony Adams is enjoying himself.

I'm pleased to see that me calling Andoni Iraola "80s Neil Webb" all season actually does stand up.

They need to bring this shit back, make these millionaires suffer some indignities for all their wealth (this is not a serious comment).

Back