• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Ours play with a weight of expectation, as they did under Sven and Capello. Southgate was always tactically inferior, but had a flair of making them relaxed. Losing the ability to do that makes him the Championship, at best, level manager he is in charge of pedigree footballers.
Weight of expectations? = Mentally weak. Combined with playing two or three players where they are not comfortable in a system that doesn't suit most of them.

Being a fan of League football I never find myself that motivated by the national team, pleased they won obviously but wouldn’t have had my knickers in a twist if we’d gone out, same will apply when we play Switzerland.

Na if I see one of Wolves or England win a major trophy before I die I’ll be happy enough. Promotion is good fun seeing my country win world cups in cricket and rugby was fun but never seen either Wolves or England win something big.

Weight of expectations? = Mentally weak. Combined with playing two or three players where they are not comfortable in a system that doesn't suit most of them.
Yeah, that's not how it works, but you wouldn't understand, so not worth it. Most people have evolved beyond throwing mentally weak around

The fact we retrieved the situation right at the end suggests there’s still some big characters on the pitch. Kane has been shocking but still scoring every other game so far as is Bellingham, Foden is out of position but still looks to get involved.
This is mainly down to squad selection and set up by the coaching staff as you rightly point out.

Na if I see one of Wolves or England win a major trophy before I die I’ll be happy enough. Promotion is good fun seeing my country win world cups in cricket and rugby was fun but never seen either Wolves or England win something big.
Surviving in the Premier League next season comes before England winning anything, each to their own I suppose.

It's not binary. I wouldn't swap a relegation for a Euros, I think I would for a World Cup though, that's more to do with how I feel about the club at the moment though. I'd take an FA Cup for Wolves over a World Cup for England

Cheap, they were both poor. I wouldn't have taken Kane off, Bellingham couldn't have complained though

You can tell from the interviews with Kane and Bellingham there is a paranoid, negative mindset in the squad. Which is a shame.

I get it, with our fans, with our press.

But it's not a good thing

More paranoia, more delusion, Southgate's drilled this victim complex into them. So self defeating

Bellingham is not coming across very well really..spent a lot of the first half pissing about waving his arms at fans who have spent thousands to go over there, when really the support would just ramp up naturally if the players gave them anything to get behind. I don't think the criticism these players are getting is anything out of line. We have played 4 teams so far and there's not many players out of all of the 4 squads they've faced that would make the England team.

You can tell from the interviews with Kane and Bellingham there is a paranoid, negative mindset in the squad. Which is a shame.

I get it, with our fans, with our press.

But it's not a good thing
They were a worldie in the last minute off going out to a far inferior side. Now Bellingham scored it, so he has some room to gloat, but that performance and those in the tournament so far don't justify anyone getting on their high horse. The criticism thus far has been tepid contextually. The expectation is higher, because on paper we have the best team we've had under Southgate and arguably of the tournament. Rather than embracing that, they've gone for the bunker mentality. Fergie and Wenger pulled that off well, this team aren't thriving on it.

On Georgia: we were very strongly linked with Willy Sagnol in 2016. When we were either about to sack Crazy Walt or we just had (and after Marco Silva had said no). Too much noise for it to be random made up crap, there was obviously something in it somewhere.

We got Paul Lambert instead.

Surviving in the Premier League next season comes before England winning anything, each to their own I suppose.
Well obviously, but Wolves being relegated would stick with me for a few days, England not winning the Euro’s, about 30 seconds.
Oops, meant to quote JD1981, as in, ‘you can have both’.

Last edited:
Obviously I am pleased that we are still in the tournament but I am not sure what is annoying me the most this morning:

1. Making no substitutions at half time
2. Deciding to bring Toney on in the 92nd minute
3. Sitting back to defend a lead for 28 minutes against Slovakia.

I can accept managers making mistakes if they learn from them and adapt but Southgate just keeps doing the same things over and over again.

The huge frustration is that it isn't lack of the forward talent. The England front six is about as good as anything in the world. Yet they are being played like Forest Green Rovers away at Old Trafford.

Reactions: b3h
Back