• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Benchmarked against an Ashes series?

A mate of a mate is an MCC member and he emailed them saying he wouldn't be going to any Tests this summer because of the cost.

The CEO replied and basically said the prices were fine because they held up OK against what it costs to go to Twickenham or Wimbledon.

I’ve heard the argument about comparing it to west end show tickets too. I’d say neither are normally available to the masses however the Oasis prices of yesterday tells a different story.

If I’ve heard correctly out of the last two England players to hit centuries in each innings of a test, neither won the MOTM award.

McCullum signed up to 2027 and he's taking on the white ball teams too from January 2025.

Personally whatever your view of Bazball, I think it's much more Stokes driven than McCullum.

I think it's too big a job for one person given the amount of cricket England play - way more than any other nation. He'll have to take some series off I'd have thought

I'd be surprised if Stokes plays ODIs or T20Is again.

Hopefully Baz can re-energise Buttler as he should still have at least 2-3 years left in him yet, but he's looked more than a little lost for a while now. I don't think he's much of a captain but we don't seem inclined to make a change.

Josh Hull replaces Matthew Potts for the final test.

Hopefully he'll prove his worth and that the England aren't starting planning another giraffes only policy for bowlers to use in Australia.

That would be fairly dumb.

Optus Stadium has a completely different pitch to the old Waca. It isn't the lethal speed track of old (still quick, but it isn't the be all and end all). Plus, if the Gabba has a green tinge, it swings there. Adelaide isn't noted for steepling bounce, SCG spins but gives bowlers of all types a bit of help, and the MCG is basically a sporting wicket.

BTW - interesting that the Ashes will actually start in Perth rather than Brisbane. With Convict CCs record at the Gabba against England, I am a little surprised about that. Also means I will need to plan for a different week to watch the Gabba test which I was expecting first up.

Picking a load of 6'7" bowlers would be short sighted to say the least.

A world record powerplay total of 113-1 (6 overs) for the Aussies in the T20 against Scotland.

Matthew Inglis moves away as the bowler releases the ball (having been looking at the bowler) and gets bowled. The umpire doesn't want to upset the Aussie and gives him not out - dead ball.

Fair play to Jarvis for Scotland - his 2nd over was much better. (Strike rate of 375 rather than the 500 of his first over).

One of these things is not like the others

Scotland1.png

Well Stuart Broad will be feeling better...

Not sure how Jamie Overton has got in the T20 squad. Not bowling and not scoring many runs either.

Overton1.png

South 3 North 0 so far in the ¼s, which is something of a pattern

Back