• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Played that over well. Have 3 overs to get the runs without the need to do anything silly with bumrahs final over.

Terrible shot.

Jansen can bat a bit but after that...

... remembering what Brathwaite did to England at this point....

That's astonishingly good fielding.

Congrats India.... a final that swung both ways.... fantastic cricket.

Squad for the first two Tests is:

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Lawrence
Smith
Bashir
Woakes
Potts
Atkinson
Pennington
Anderson (first Test only)

Cook still not playing for Essex today so obviously not ready yet, you'd hope he'd get in later in the summer.

Wonder if we've just decided to cut Knobhead Robinson loose now.

There's a case for having Lawrence ahead of Bashir as the spinner based on county form...

Leach playing instead of Bashir for Somerset
Foakes keeping wicket for Surrey instead of Smith...funny old world

Of course Smith isn't there because he's a better wicket keeper than Foakes (he almost certainly isn't), it's that he's much more likely to average around 40 with the bat which is what we want (and indeed need of late, as our tail has rapidly declined in quality - even Woakes isn't the batsman that he used to be) whereas Foakes will struggle to average 30 and is bloody awful at manipulating the strike when he has to partner with someone poor at the other end.

Of course Smith isn't there because he's a better wicket keeper than Foakes (he almost certainly isn't), it's that he's much more likely to average around 40 with the bat which is what we want (and indeed need of late, as our tail has rapidly declined in quality - even Woakes isn't the batsman that he used to be) whereas Foakes will struggle to average 30 and is bloody awful at manipulating the strike when he has to partner with someone poor at the other end.
No, but you'd think we'd want both playing the roles they've been selected for given their lack of experience. You are correct about Woakes, batting 9 for Warwicks now.

Neither are centrally contracted so I'm not sure we can tell Surrey/Somerset what to do.

Tell no, could ask though and I doubt they'd say no, particularly Surrey. Could have pulled Leach out, although I know that's not realistic

100 for Smith today (out of a team total of 248, no one else made more than 26)

Tell no, could ask though and I doubt they'd say no, particularly Surrey. Could have pulled Leach out, although I know that's not realistic
Pulled a player not selected out so the player selected gets a game? Somerset would rightfully tell the ECB to get fucked.

Back