• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

It’s never alright to cross your fingers and hope. The Championship income is a real pittance compared to the Premier League and if Villa don’t go up next season (I don’t think they will) then they’ll be stuck in the Championship for years. All parachute money gone, gates down, TV revenue minimal, and a squad that is rapidly being lost/sold off so players need replacing. It never gets better by magic, it’s not like a broken leg that will heal over time, it just gets worse.

Villa will have to find their own Merlin to get out of this league now.

You can't just let years pass though and say "ah, it'll be grand in a while, sit tight".

Forest - 1999
Sheff Wed - 2000
Leeds - 2004

They're all clubs that I would say have equal claims to Villa on being a Big Club. Facing 15-20 years outside the top flight.

For sure, you've got to have a plan. Best thing they could spend money on is getting rid of Bruce and bring in the Brentford manager on a long term project

I just don't think villa will gut their squad for ffp, they'll accept the sanctions and try to break even going forward until the point they can spunk a load more cash again. Hopefully (for them) on a squad that's been built up over time from u23 and signing young players

FFP sanctions are only no problem if you go up - don't see them doing that so good luck with that approach AV

I think they’re a problem full stop now. You can be demote to the play offs if you’re in an automatic position or have a points deduction. Having to submit your financial statement by 1st March is so the sanctions can be done before anyone gets promoted.

All this has come in because of what Bournemouth, Leicester and QPR did and the EFL receiving no backing from the PL.

We fucked up with ohara Johnson eff and it cost us.

6 years, new owners and some serious intent later we now have the wolves model

You can't really copy us though as it's such a unique position (and before we all get too giddy, it could come crashing down, just as anything could). Tony Xia is not about to remember that actually, he's friends with Mino Raiola and we'll bring in some players from his stable that don't really belong in the Championship.

We got lucky with who we ended up with, there's not much more to it.

We made a lot of mistakes but we didn't ever spend beyond our means

We broke our transfer record with Johnson, Doyle, Fletcher and cut deep for O Hara and Hunt. Probably 25 million there and for us then that was some outlay.

3 of those played a significant part in keeping us up, one twice. As Andy says it wasn't a case of us overspending. Two of those were an unqualified success, two of the othera at the time were heralded by most (me included) as very good signings. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Even taking transfer inflation into account in real terms Costa, Neves and soon Jota cost more than all of those did. If I was being critical of our transfer policy in the Prem it wouldn't be on the bigger transfers (Hunt aside) it would be on squad fillers, quantity rather than quality - Zubar, Surman, Halford et al.

3 of those played a significant part in keeping us up, one twice. Even taking transfer inflation into account in real terms Costa, Neves and soon Jota cost more than all of them

Johnson was rank from his first game. oHara was Billy big bollocks, Hunt scored one goal v Blackburn and did little else, Doyle worked his socks off but was bought to score goals and didnt. My point was that wolves 2018 should not be picking bits off relegated clubs. Been there done that and it didn't work

Johnson was rank from his first game. oHara was Billy big bollocks, Hunt scored one goal v Blackburn and did little else, Doyle worked his socks off but was bought to score goals and didnt. My point was that wolves 2018 should not be picking bits off relegated clubs. Been there done that and it didn't work
I've amended my original post so I won't repeat, but Johnson was motm for the first two games so your first comment isn't accurate. We didn't sign O'Hara from a relegated team, Fletcher we practically doubled our money on, Doyle was our best player and leading scorer in his first season and also not signed from a relegated side. Hunt I give you, but it was because he was over the hill and injured when we signed him not because Hull were relegated

You wouldn't sign Mawson or Butland if we could?

We signed ohara from spurs but he had been on loan at relegated portsmouth. We signed Johnson from relegated birmingham. We signed Doyle from relegated reading. Fuck me if that's not a pattern i fucking give up lol! Not bitching but ........

O'Hara was not signed from a relegated team, I wish people would stop saying this. He played for a team that was relegated the season before (and did fantastic, put in a lot of effort despite Portsmouth being dead and buried from the start). Should we just not sign anybody who has ever been relegated? Ruddy and Bennett - relegated with Norwich in 2014 and 2016. Ruddy also relegated from League Two in 2005 and Bennett from the Championship in 2010. Perhaps we should have avoided them. You'd think after that sort of failure they would be hapless losers hardly able to motivate themselves to get up in the morning let alone win a football match.
Doyle scored more than anyone else did in 09/10 and objectively was an improvement for the team. Relegation taint from 2008 didn't seem to be a problem. Was crucial to the way we played too, massive success in his first season. Fletcher was signed from a relegated team - improved us and did well both seasons.
Johnson and O'Hara both seemed like fantastic signings. Unfortunately for us there were massive problems with them which ultimately ruined us, but there is no way we could have known it and it has nothing to do with them having once been relegated.

O'Hara was not signed from a relegated team, I wish people would stop saying this. He played for a team that was relegated the season before (and did fantastic, put in a lot of effort despite Portsmouth being dead and buried from the start). Should we just not sign anybody who has ever been relegated? Ruddy and Bennett - relegated with Norwich in 2014 and 2016. Ruddy also relegated from League Two in 2005 and Bennett from the Championship in 2010. Perhaps we should have avoided them. You'd think after that sort of failure they would be hapless losers hardly able to motivate themselves to get up in the morning let alone win a football match.
Doyle scored more than anyone else did in 09/10 and objectively was an improvement for the team. Relegation taint from 2008 didn't seem to be a problem. Was crucial to the way we played too, massive success in his first season. Fletcher was signed from a relegated team - improved us and did well both seasons.
Johnson and O'Hara both seemed like fantastic signings. Unfortunately for us there were massive problems with them which ultimately ruined us, but there is no way we could have known it and it has nothing to do with them having once been relegated.

Totally disagree. Wolves 2018 are not wolves 2011. The world has moved on and we don't need relegated clubs cast offs. The new model is different and thank fuck for that! We are no longer in the market for average. Ruddy and Bennet cost fuck all. Ohara and Johnson cost 12 million with wages

Johnson and ohara are lessons to be learnt. Never again. Ruddy and Bennet cost fuck all. Ohara and Johnson cost over 12 million if u include wages.

Disagree why though? What about being relegated makes a good player bad? Our policy should be quite simpe - sign good players. Whether or not they were relegated matters little as long as they still seemed to be good and showed the right attitude.

How long does this relegation curse last for a player. A year? More? Forever? Because Boly was relegated from Ligue Uh once too.

Disagree why though? What about being relegated makes a good player bad? Our policy should be quite simpe - sign good players. Whether or not they were relegated matters little as long as they still seemed to be good and showed the right attitude.

How long does this relegation curse last for a player. A year? More? Forever? Because Boly was relegated from Ligue Uh once too.

Because a losing mentality is hard to move away from imho

I would not touch WBa stoke or Swansea cast offs with a barge pole. They are used to losing. 1 win in 5 average. Not the mentality we want. Sorry

Any team that has been in a relegation battle surely has a losing mentality then. What separates 18th and 17th but just a few points?

You claim the losing mentality but Doyle was signed a whole year after being relegated. He was part of a team that finished 4th in the Champ when we signed him! But if your argument is that he has kept his losers mentality it also means you must have objected to us signing Ruddy and Bennett as they still had their loser's mentality from two relegations in 4 seasons prior. Steven Fletcher - relegated. Improvement. Because he was a good player.

Let's agree to disagree! Our positions are opposite! I feel that we have tried using players from clubs who have been relegated and it has not worked out well. Our Mendes model looks to be more successful. If that means we get a !oad of young hungry port u geezers here rather than premier relegated cast offs I am all for it

Back