• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

A brexit voter making sweeping generalisations? Well I never...

We signed ohara from spurs but he had been on loan at relegated portsmouth. We signed Johnson from relegated birmingham. We signed Doyle from relegated reading. $#@! me if that's not a pattern i $#@!ing give up lol! Not bitching but ........
We stayed up the season we signed O'Hara and it was 6 months after he'd left Portsmouth. We signed Doyle from CHAMPIONSHIP Reading. You continue to miss Fletcher off your inaccurate list because it doesn't suit your narrative. I ask again would you sign Butland or Mawson and don't come me back and say no because they are too expensive, or they'll have better options, because that's not your point. On absolute football grounds would either of them improve our current first 11?

Or Andrew Robertson from Hull who was arguably the best Liverpool player in the final.

That kinda kills the whole argument stone dead, I thought he looked superb on Saturday.

Sometimes you lot are bloody hard work

There are 90 players who have been relegated this season thereabouts, from the premier league. With the exception of Mawson i would not want any here given our previous experiences with similar ilk. Especially at the fees quoted ie 30 mil for Butland. If you don't learn from previous mistakes you make them again.

As for the brexit comment Machin unnecessary and unwarranted.

We stayed up the season we signed O'Hara and it was 6 months after he'd left Portsmouth. We signed Doyle from CHAMPIONSHIP Reading. You continue to miss Fletcher off your inaccurate list because it doesn't suit your narrative. I ask again would you sign Butland or Mawson and don't come me back and say no because they are too expensive, or they'll have better options, because that's not your point. On absolute football grounds would either of them improve our current first 11?

Where did we get Fletcher from? Relegated burnley? What was the first thing he did when we went down? pissed off #headsgone.

Butland is not 30 million better than Ruddy.
Mawson is class and could be good.
In general i repeat i would leave the lot alone. There are better buys out there

Sometimes you lot are bloody hard work

There are 90 players who have been relegated this season thereabouts, from the premier league. With the exception of Mawson i would not want any here given our previous experiences with similar ilk. Especially at the fees quoted ie 30 mil for Butland. If you don't learn from previous mistakes you make them again.

As for the brexit comment Machin unnecessary and unwarranted.

There are hardly any players from the squads that have gone down that I would want, but it's not because they have a relegation on their CV. It's because a lot of their players aren't very good, or don't have the quality to improve our squad. Refusing to sign players based purely on whether they got relegated is a ridiculous idea. Teams get relegated, not individual players.

If Saints would have gone down I would have taken Bertrand and Cedric down here straight away.

There are hardly any players from the squads that have gone down that I would want, but it's not because they have a relegation on their CV. It's because a lot of their players aren't very good, or don't have the quality to improve our squad. Refusing to sign players based purely on whether they got relegated is a ridiculous idea. Teams get relegated, not individual players.

If Saints would have gone down I would have taken Bertrand and Cedric down here straight away.

Never said that. Said it hadn't worked for us in the past and hoped we would avoid it this time around. Especially As the fees quoted border on extortion. I think our players should be recruited from elsewhere .

Never said that. Said it hadn't worked for us in the past and hoped we would avoid it this time around. Especially As the fees quoted border on extortion. I think our players should be recruited from elsewhere .

Which players is it though where it hasn't worked? Johnson - yes a complete failure here, but was lauded as a great signing at the time. Fletcher - who was our top scorer in both his season's here. Who else?

A good player is a good player no matter where you sign them from. Sometimes you can judge a player better in a struggling side.

Or Andrew Robertson from Hull who was arguably the best Liverpool player in the final.

I've never read such a load of bollocks about relegated players.

How the fuck could I forget about him?!

So, to summarise where I stand on this bizarre debate:

- Relegated teams are usually comprised of crap players.

- Sometimes, however, there are some good players in relegated teams. If we think such players would improve our team then it would be madness not to consider them, but we're fortunate to have additional options given our scouting network.

That's it.

I see that Derby have gone for Frank Lampard. May I be the first to predict that it will end badly...

So, to summarise where I stand on this bizarre debate:

- Relegated teams are usually comprised of crap players.

- Sometimes, however, there are some good players in relegated teams. If we think such players would improve our team then it would be madness not to consider them, but we're fortunate to have additional options given our scouting network.

That's it.
You're right it is bizarre! Looking at the three relegated clubs last year Pickford went for 30 m and really didn't improve Everton, Maguire and Roberton went from Hull and progressed well, Sam Clucas went to Swansea for 20 m and that didn't end well for swansea. That was pretty much all the moves from the relegated clubs to the premier league and those 4 totalled around 75 m. I think we could spend that money better on players from outside the relegated clubs this season. I stick by it that there's no one that jumps out for me bar Mawson.

And i still think Joe Hart is a decent keeper and not 25 million worse than Butland so I would not be paying 30 m for him. Sooner give Casillas a shot at the premier league!

You're right it is bizarre! Looking at the three relegated clubs last year Pickford went for 30 m and really didn't improve Everton, Maguire and Roberton went from Hull and progressed well, Sam Clucas went to Swansea for 20 m and that didn't end well for swansea. That was pretty much all the moves from the relegated clubs to the premier league and those 4 totalled around 75 m. I think we could spend that money better on players from outside the relegated clubs this season. I stick by it that there's no one that jumps out for me bar Mawson.

And i still think Joe Hart is a decent keeper and not 25 million worse than Butland so I would not be paying 30 m for him. Sooner give Casillas a shot at the premier league!
I don't think most people are really advocating buying specific players from specific relegated teams, just that good players shouldn't be overlooked just because they've been relegated (which, at times, has been your argument).

I don't think most people are really advocating buying specific players from specific relegated teams, just that good players shouldn't be overlooked just because they've been relegated (which, at times, has been your argument).
Subtly different i said it had not worked out well when we had done it in the past. Stand by that.

It's only really Jonhson you can level that at. Fletcher was our top scorer for both seasons he was here. Can't think of anyone else we signed from a relegated side

We signed Stearman after he went down to L1 with Leicester I think.

Keith Curle, Stephen Hunt (one superb, one dogshit)

Bully was relegated with A****n from the top flight wasn't he?

Back