• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

Had a lot of respect for Villa as a club prior to this season but the way they’ve behaved from chairman-chief exec-manager-fans has made them look a lot smaller.
The snipping and bitterness on the WM phone in last night was embarrassing.

Win at the weekend and I reckon it's all wrapped up.

If we win and Villa and Fulham don’t then it would take a near miracle for us not to go up.
If the gap still 10 points it’s not over st all considering we Boro away straight after the break.

Not a chance, the attitude that we are already up is really harmful to the club.
That's because we pretty much are. And it's not been harmful at all, not as far as the staff and players are concerned.

This team doesn't do capitulation. We've not lost twice in a row all season and the majority of games left are at home.

Villa's loss to QPR and our win against Reading means that they need to get 11 more points than us in 9 games. It really is a tiny percentage change that that happens, given the paragraph above.

Not a chance, the attitude that we are already up is really harmful to the club.

I don't for a minute think that Nuno and players will be sharing my outlook!

Win and we'll be a minimum of 10 points clear of 3rd with 8 to play. Plus Cardiff playing Villa means at least one will drop points.

Once we cross the 90 point mark then I’ll start saying it’s all over until then we still have to go out and do the business.

We're not already up and Nuno will make sure that attitude doesn't filter down to the players. But win 4 more games and we won't be caught by Villa or Fulham.

Had a lot of respect for Villa as a club prior to this season but the way they’ve behaved from chairman-chief exec-manager-fans has made them look a lot smaller.

TBF I still don't have much of an issue with their fans. I work with loads of Villa fans and I know loads more around where I live and they haven't been unbearable or anything. The actions of their manager and staff on the other hand have been pathetic so for that reason, I really don't give a shit if they stay down. As a club I've been far from impressed with their professionalism.

I wouldn't use the WM phone in as a fair reflection of any cross section of society - it's purely a platform to antagonise and goad football fans in order to get more listeners. I can't stand it! Same for TalkSport. It'd wind me up listening to it so I don't!

Missed it last night. What were they saying?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43401734

I know it's mind games and of all the sides battling to go up, Villa are the ones who need to go up most urgently, but if Warnock thinks there's no pressure on him to see the job through when he's 7 points clear from 3rd place with 10 games left then he's sadly mistaken.

He's done brilliantly for Cardiff this season. They're where they are on merit but if they don't go up now and have to settle for the play offs, he'll have choked massively. FWIW I can't see Villa or Fulham overtaking either of us now.

Having said all that, I'd much rather see this kind of stuff from rival clubs in the run in compared to Villa's anti-Mendes bull$#@!.

Im sure Cardiff would be gutted at the end should they not go up but they just seem to be getting on with to be honest.
The city hasnt paticularly became fevered by the situation either as they are only up by a 2000 average attendance since last season.
A blues supporter who came into my work (spit) said the atmosphere was dire last week and they seemed non plussed, he didnt feel like he was playing a top of the table team.

I think we'll drop more points than Cardiff before we play them, simply because I think Boro are now playing like the team so many people though they would be before the start of the season - general consensus here and elsewhere back in August was that they had a good argument to have the strongest squad in the division, and, regardless of Pulis' reputation, he's got them finally playing to the kind of level they should have been all along.

In the next three games for Wolves and Cardiff, we've both got Burton at home (you'd expect wins for both teams there). We should be fine against Hull, but I think Boro are as much of an objective threat as Cardiff are to us now based on form and talent, whereas neither Derby nor Sheffield United look that menacing from Cardiff's perspective.

I still think we'll finish champions because logic - statistical reversion to the mean at the very least - says a) Cardiff's run of wins has to end, and b) post-Cardiff our run-in looks nicer than theirs. But I'm expecting us to go into the Cardiff match in a position where it won't just be a loss for them to draw level with us, they'll probably be able to pull ahead, and that kind of thing would inevitably have a psychological impact on both teams, whatever the final result. The team that wins will inevitably feel the clouds lift and a sense of inevitability and momentum take hold; the team that loses will have to respond and try to pull through. We know that we can do that, which I why I'm not too worried for Wolves - but Cardiff haven't had that pressure this season, and regardless of Warnock's experience and mind games, it will be interesting to see them respond to that kind of event.

Think with Cardiff there’s a feeling if they do go up that next season will be a big struggle not like ourselves who can expect big investment in the side.

I think we'll drop more points than Cardiff before we play them, simply because I think Boro are now playing like the team so many people though they would be before the start of the season - general consensus here and elsewhere back in August was that they had a good argument to have the strongest squad in the division, and, regardless of Pulis' reputation, he's got them finally playing to the kind of level they should have been all along.

In the next three games for Wolves and Cardiff, we've both got Burton at home (you'd expect wins for both teams there). We should be fine against Hull, but I think Boro are as much of an objective threat as Cardiff are to us now based on form and talent, whereas neither Derby nor Sheffield United look that menacing from Cardiff's perspective.

I still think we'll finish champions because logic - statistical reversion to the mean at the very least - says a) Cardiff's run of wins has to end, and b) post-Cardiff our run-in looks nicer than theirs. But I'm expecting us to go into the Cardiff match in a position where it won't just be a loss for them to draw level with us, they'll probably be able to pull ahead, and that kind of thing would inevitably have a psychological impact on both teams, whatever the final result. The team that wins will inevitably feel the clouds lift and a sense of inevitability and momentum take hold; the team that loses will have to respond and try to pull through. We know that we can do that, which I why I'm not too worried for Wolves - but Cardiff haven't had that pressure this season, and regardless of Warnock's experience and mind games, it will be interesting to see them respond to that kind of event.

Excellent post.

Sheffield Utd will still pose a threat - they're still close to Boro and if Derby keep dropping points they could take advantage.

Cardiff's form so far this season is 5 wins in a row followed by 4 wins in 12, 4 wins in a row followed by 3 wins in 10 and now 7 wins in a row. Hopefully as soon as this run ends they start to have another stutter and we can pull away from them.

If they did keep their good form going and won the league then fair play to them, you wouldn't be able to argue that they didn't deserve it.

I still expect us to lose away to Boro, Cardiff and Bolton, but can see us winning every other game and the league. Done the predictor which has us winning the league on the last day and promotion against Wednesday. Us 97, Cardiff 96, Fulham 91, Villa 90.

Missed it last night. What were they saying?

The usual crap but I might add there was a few wolves fans on stirring the pot to.
Alan from Solihull quote “Neves is a clown” and “Grealish is 20 times the player he is”

The same guy who said Grealish was better than Neves said he was poor against QPR and that we move the ball around the pitch quicker than they do. I wonder who does that for us? Contradiction after contradiction.

I still expect us to lose away to Boro, Cardiff and Bolton, but can see us winning every other game and the league. Done the predictor which has us winning the league on the last day and promotion against Wednesday. Us 97, Cardiff 96, Fulham 91, Villa 90.

Not a chance 4 teams end up with 90 points. Villa have to win 7 of their 9 and Fulham 8 of 9.

Not a chance 4 teams end up with 90 points. Villa have to win 7 of their 9 and Fulham 8 of 9.
I agree with you in reality, but with the fixtures they have I gave Villa 6 wins and 3 draws (Bolton, Norwich and Millwall) and Fulham 7 and 2 (Sheff Wed and Millwall), which on form and table position stacks up, but then I wouldn't have predicted Villa to lose on Tuesday night...

Sheffield Utd will still pose a threat - they're still close to Boro and if Derby keep dropping points they could take advantage.

Not writing them off at all (or anyone for that matter, nothing is ever a given in sport) - just that, on current form and other factors taken into consideration, Boro look by far the most dangerous team to me of any of the teams Cardiff and Wolves are collectively facing over their next three matches before going head-to-head.

The gap between the sides in the top 4 and bottom 6 is as big as it’s ever been not saying it’s a given you’ll beat them.
It wouldn’t surprise me if a side breaks 90 points and comes 3rd not would it surprise me if a record low points stays up.

Back