• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Chasing Pack - GAME OVER AMIGOS

The fact that they haven't lost in the league since New Year's Day says you are wrong. At the moment they have all of the momentum and are easily the best side in the Championship since the turn of the year. They lost at QPR on January 1st and the only other points they have dropped since then were in a draw at Millwall. I'd say that currently they are pretty unstoppable and I wouldn't bet against them winning the division ahead of us.

You may be right but lets see what happens this weekend. Lose to Derby and we win and it doesnt matter what they do against us its still our to lose.

The fact that they haven't lost in the league since New Year's Day says you are wrong. At the moment they have all of the momentum and are easily the best side in the Championship since the turn of the year. They lost at QPR on January 1st and the only other points they have dropped since then were in a draw at Millwall. I'd say that currently they are pretty unstoppable and I wouldn't bet against them winning the division ahead of us.

What a silly thing to say, of course they aren't unstoppable. Everybody can lose games. They aren't playing Man City-esque football and certainly don't have the best players. They looked plenty fallible last night but ground out the victory.

They will get a couple of unexpected defeats (though no reason that we won't either)

We still have a lead over them & would expect that to at least remain that wide

Hmmm

Taking 1st of Jan as your cut off is a bit arbitrary. Seems like you are almost deliberately leaving out the FOUR IN A ROW that they lost over the festivities.

This calendar year Fulham have 3 more points than Cardiff from the same number of games. Even if you exclude the games on Jan 1/2 they have a better record due to goal difference

The simple fact is that both runs are likely to come to an end before the end of the season. The longest winning run in English football is (I stand to be corrected) 13 games by Reading some time. Next is Manchester United at the start of a season in the eighties with ten wins (where they ended up in third or fourth).

Expecting Cardiff to win sixteen in a row is hugely unlikely, outlandish even.

The simple fact is that both runs are likely to come to an end before the end of the season. The longest winning run in English football is (I stand to be corrected) 13 games by Reading some time. Next is Manchester United at the start of a season in the eighties with ten wins (where they ended up in third or fourth).

Expecting Cardiff to win sixteen in a row is hugely unlikely, outlandish even.

Readings is the longest from the start of a season, the longest in a season is 14 held by Man Utd 1904-05, Bristol City 1905-06 & Preston in 51-52.

Useless fact Reading's run was in 1985-86 when they ran away with Division 3, same season when we finished 2nd bottom of the same league when we knew our fate from the 1st game of the season. Their 14th game to equal the record was at Elm Park against a contender for the worst line-up ever to play for Wolves, but an early goal from Andy King & one from Derek Ryan 5 minutes from time earned us a 2-2 draw, just shows these runs usually come to an abrupt and unexpected end.

Readings is the longest from the start of a season, the longest in a season is 14 held by Man Utd 1904-05, Bristol City 1905-06 & Preston in 51-52.

Useless fact Reading's run was in 1985-86 when they ran away with Division 3, same season when we finished 2nd bottom of the same league when we knew our fate from the 1st game of the season. Their 14th game to equal the record was at Elm Park against a contender for the worst line-up ever to play for Wolves, but an early goal from Andy King & one from Derek Ryan 5 minutes from time earned us a 2-2 draw, just shows these runs usually come to an abrupt and unexpected end.
I had a letter in Match magazine published to ask why we hadn't been given any credit for halting that run. Cringy now, but the 12 year old me was so proud

Hmmm

Taking 1st of Jan as your cut off is a bit arbitrary. Seems like you are almost deliberately leaving out the FOUR IN A ROW that they lost over the festivities.

Yeah the start of a new calendar year is some totally random arbitrary starting point...

Hmmmmm

Ignoring the shit before it certainly is...

Actually, I didn't pick a random arbitrary date, wise guy, I looked at when they were last defeated, which was kinda, you know, the whole point of the post. Sorry if it confused you...

Okay, whatever. I guess we won't agree on this and I am not in the mood for internet silliness. I am sure your date was therefore the perfect choice. Even if they lost three games in eight days before it.

Okay, whatever. I guess we won't agree on this and I am not in the mood for internet silliness. I am sure your date was therefore the perfect choice. Even if they lost three games in eight days before it.

Are you being deliberately obtuse and argumentative? The whole point of the post was how long it was and their form since they last got beaten. I didn't realise it was that difficult a concept to grasp...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43401734

I know it's mind games and of all the sides battling to go up, Villa are the ones who need to go up most urgently, but if Warnock thinks there's no pressure on him to see the job through when he's 7 points clear from 3rd place with 10 games left then he's sadly mistaken.

He's done brilliantly for Cardiff this season. They're where they are on merit but if they don't go up now and have to settle for the play offs, he'll have choked massively. FWIW I can't see Villa or Fulham overtaking either of us now.

Having said all that, I'd much rather see this kind of stuff from rival clubs in the run in compared to Villa's anti-Mendes bullshit.

IMO the top two are done now. If Warnock has proved nothing esle in his time as a manager, it's that he can get a team over the line. I desperately want us to go up as champions, as I think we are - on our day - far & away the best team, but I'm worried about Cardiff. On my predictor I have us winning by one point, as I only had Cardiff down for a point at Brentford.

He's just taking the pressure of his players and keeping the atmosphere relaxed by the looks of it.

He's just taking the pressure of his players and keeping the atmosphere relaxed by the looks of it.

Yup - their team spirit is understandably sky high at the moment and that'll be a key factor for them in the run in.

The main goal for us is getting promoted. I want us to secure that ASAP and then we can concentrate on winning the league, which I think we will do. Of course it'll be disappointing not to take the title having led for so long (and IMO being a much better side) but the primary goal is being in the Premier League.

Win at the weekend and I reckon it's all wrapped up.

Not a chance, the attitude that we are already up is really harmful to the club.

Back