• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The All New Adverts that Grind my Gears

The current Relentless advert. It's like a fucking perfume ad & true to type, tells me nothing about the product...

Save the Children on the radio

Basically "send us £5 or the baby dies"

every 5 fucking minutes

Also, Radio Ads:
PPI - "You've read about it, you've heard it about it" Yes I have heard about, mainly because you won't shut the fuck up about it
Any ad that has to have T&C's read out at the end. 3000 words said in about 5 seconds.

energy switcheroo

fuck off, when you make the camp james brown impressionist that was U-Switch sound awesome you are definitely doing something wrong

I mentioned it a few pages back but it STILL fucks me off - Wonga. Why the fuck are they pretending that a scummy loan company with outlandish interest rates are run by some friendly old biddies who are 'down with the kids'? Their radio adverts are worse - no it's not going to be a Wonga day!

That new McDonalds "Nah, you're alright" advert

That bint who says "just a sliver of brie" in the Volkswagen (I think) advert. Not only does that mark you out as indelibly Cameron-esque (and not Colin, either), why would you buy a "sliver"? Surely you'd buy a bit of bulk and cut the sliver off yourself, thus saving the rest of brie for many more slivers, you ex-Hollioakes nonsense.

The new three(mobile) advert with a fucking moonwalking pony. I've seen it twice and it pisses me off already.

When was the last time anyone saw an ad & immediately thought "fuck I`m out the door & rushing out to buy one of those"

When was the last time anyone saw an ad & immediately thought "fuck I`m out the door & rushing out to buy one of those"
I usually immediately think "fuck, I need to post about that advert on TWF"

Mmmmm, it's not about that though, is it. It's about brand recognition.

I have TalkSPORT on in the background quite often, they spam you with Wickes adverts every ten minutes. Subliminaly next time I need something DIY-related I'm more likely to think of them than any other firms.

Another example, there was an advert in the 80s that went down really well with the public starring Leonard Rossiter. As it didn't mention the name of the product to any great degree (Cinzano) it made bugger all difference to sales. So a good advert that didn't work. The quality of the advert doesn't really matter to any great extent, you have 30 seconds to implant a name or an idea in people's heads. If it didn't work then I can assure you that multinational companies would find something better to do with hundreds of millions of pounds a year. Coke and hookers probably.

Mmmmm, it's not about that though, is it. It's about brand recognition.

And that said recognition can also have a detrimental effect (IMHO) like for example the GoCompare ads. Personally speaking I don't use any of these type of sites but folks I know have been put off using GoCompare by the shit opera singer (hence them now using anti opera singer ads) & thus giving alternative websites customers

I couldn't give as shit about the opera guy - if Go Compare gets me the cheapest quote then I'm using them.

He is still fucking annoying though. Up there with the faux James Brown imbecile that did U-Switch.

But see there - I remember u-switch through that advert. Job done.

The best adverts are the ones that are funny or memorable and also make sure you know what they are selling.

Harry Enfield - "Dime Bar?"

Your probably more likely to remember an annoying advert. I'd imagine more people use GoCompare in spite of the opera guy rather than not because of him.

Another example, there was an advert in the 80s that went down really well with the public starring Leonard Rossiter. As it didn't mention the name of the product to any great degree (Cinzano) it made bugger all difference to sales. So a good advert that didn't work. The quality of the advert doesn't really matter to any great extent, you have 30 seconds to implant a name or an idea in people's heads. If it didn't work then I can assure you that multinational companies would find something better to do with hundreds of millions of pounds a year. Coke and hookers probably.

It was actually worse than ineffective - the majority of viewers thought it was for Martini - Cinzano's competitor!

That 3 advert with the Shetland Pony - utter gash on a number of levels.

Back