• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Our next door neighbours have a leylandii tree on their property. It's massive, at least 35 feet tall, and blocks light to gardens east of it in the evenings (luckily we're west, but it encroaches over our boundary). The main concern is that if it were to fall over it would take out one of five houses, ours being one, or fall on the railway line behind. We've reported it to Network Rail who agree that it needs removing but cannot do anything apart from write to the property owner. Said owner lives away but her parents live there currently and they are not taking responsibility for the beast, complaining about cost (it'd be ~£1,000 to remove, as lopping only encourages outward growth), yet seemingly able to stump up the cash to have their back garden landscaped.

Is there anything we can do to make them cut it down?

Dogshit through the letter box.

Or if you want to be more boring about it, the council should be able to enforce something (especially if you send supporting evidence from Network Rail)

Might be a long shot, but I'm trying to burn MP4 files to a DVD to be played on a DVD player later on, but can't find any decent software that will be do it without watermarks etc, any ideas?
I've heard good things about Handbrake. Seems to do lots of stuff for free.

Windows 10 has a built in DVD Maker I think? If you handbraked it to a supported format that would work. Failing that make imgburn does it?

Windows 10 has a built in DVD Maker I think? If you handbraked it to a supported format that would work. Failing that make imgburn does it?
They were originally MKV files so used Handbrake and converted them to MP4.
I thought the same about Windows DVD Maker, but no sign of it.
I'll have a look at imgburn though, thanks :)

Our next door neighbours have a leylandii tree on their property. It's massive, at least 35 feet tall, and blocks light to gardens east of it in the evenings (luckily we're west, but it encroaches over our boundary). The main concern is that if it were to fall over it would take out one of five houses, ours being one, or fall on the railway line behind. We've reported it to Network Rail who agree that it needs removing but cannot do anything apart from write to the property owner. Said owner lives away but her parents live there currently and they are not taking responsibility for the beast, complaining about cost (it'd be ~£1,000 to remove, as lopping only encourages outward growth), yet seemingly able to stump up the cash to have their back garden landscaped.

Is there anything we can do to make them cut it down?
You're allowed to prune anything back as far as your boundary. A neighbours overhanging branch is technically a form of trespass.

The Council can take action. However they would need evidence that other routes (no pun intended) had been attempted first e.g. negotiation, mediation. It could cost up to £600ish for the application to be processed. The Council would decide if the tall hedge constitutes a nuisance.

You can prune overhanging branches, but not reduce the height.

If you do prune any overhanging branches you are required to agree the disposal of said branches. Lobbing them back over the boundary is not acceptable.

They were originally MKV files so used Handbrake and converted them to MP4.
I thought the same about Windows DVD Maker, but no sign of it.
I'll have a look at imgburn though, thanks :)

Nero will do it, you should be able to pick up a basic copy for free.

There's regularly disputes about leylandii's on those "nightmare neighbour next door" programmes on Channel 5. Devise a plan with your neighbour, contact Ch5 and tell them you want a grand to appear on their programme. Problem solved.

Nero will do it, you should be able to pick up a basic copy for free.

Or adobe encore if can't find Nero. Prob have an old copy on their site, though I expect not so easy to use.

Bad back. Is it ice and pain pills, or hot water bottle and pain pills that work best?? I'm hearing conflicting advice. Thanks in advance.

I think heat for a bad back.

It depends. If the bad back is down to inflammation, heat will soothe the pain in the short term, but the heat applied to the inflammation will exacerbate the problem.

It depends. If the bad back is down to inflammation, heat will soothe the pain in the short term, but the heat applied to the inflammation will exacerbate the problem.

Well how do I know if it's inflammation though?

Think I'm going with heat anyway. Thank you.

Thanks Stan. Now you couldn't be an angel and bring me a cuppa could ya :)

giphy.gif

Back