• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Sky not doing free line rental for 12 months still? That cuts the cost by £16 a month.

Can't advise on Sky or Virgin for TV as we've just got freeview. BT still doing free BT Sport when you sign up for Internet with them? Could be worth a shot if so.

Will check into it. Sky do something free for 12 months definitely noticed the other day. Thanks mate!

I know Virgin do a student bundle which I had in Wolves last year whilst on my Access course, we only had Broadband but it was £16 between four of us. My student digs next year come with Tevo included in the bills so saves all this shopping around!

Is it easy to put music on one of those USB sticks?
Yes very easy Frank. I use one in my car stereo every day.

All you do is plug it in to the pc/laptop. The drive pops up and then you just drag and drop the files you want onto it. You can use folders as they act as 'albums' for different bands/playlists.

Yes very easy Frank. I use one in my car stereo every day.

All you do is plug it in to the pc/laptop. The drive pops up and then you just drag and drop the files you want onto it. You can use folders as they act as 'albums' for different bands/playlists.

Ok thank you. I will give it a try later on.

Usb sticks are the shit..like bear i have it in my car..to the tv, ps3 and computers if youre not on the same network so you can use ftp to transfer files..dropbox is an alternative though..

Been having foot ache for a while and I've finally gotten around to Googling it. Seems like my first metatarsal head on my right foot is swollen, which may imply an acute fracture.

I don't tend to get ill often and I've never had a fracture, etc. Do I take this to my local GP or the practice nurse?

Been having foot ache for a while and I've finally gotten around to Googling it. Seems like my first metatarsal head on my right foot is swollen, which may imply an acute fracture.

I don't tend to get ill often and I've never had a fracture, etc. Do I take this to my local GP or the practice nurse?

Maybe you should go and get it x-rayed and go from there.

We've got some sporty types on here, coaches and such, and some parents so here's a Mumsnet style poser for you...

As I've posted on here, we took up kayak racing a couple of years ago as a family. We all still do it, but my eldest daughter (14) shows the most promise, really likes it, likes the club and the people and seems to enjoy the races and the training. She would appear to have the potential to reach quite a good standard. Generally that happens by moving up into different groups within the club and doing more/different training.

Trouble is, daughter is painfully shy and terrified of joining a higher level group with people she doesn't know, or at least hasn't spent time with so is refusing to take it further. Up to her of course, and we would never force her to do something she didn't want to do, but we know she would enjoy it once she started, she's even said as much herself, so we are trying to persuade her with no luck so far and risk making it worse and putting her off the sport altogether.

So which way to go - continue to encourage/cajole/sigh in a passive-aggressive manner, or just let her find her own way? I suspect the latter but there's a fair chance if we leave it up to her she'll never do anything, which would be a shame. some kids do seem to need a gentle shove.

We're not pushy parents and we don't care whether she just paddles for fun on a Saturday morning or wants to be an Olympian, but I'd hate to see her stop doing something she likes just because she's shy.

So if you've ever been a terrified 14-year-old girl or have the job of parenting/coaching/helping one (in whatever way), what would you do?

Usb sticks are the shit..like bear i have it in my car..to the tv, ps3 and computers if youre not on the same network so you can use ftp to transfer files..dropbox is an alternative though..

Ftp? Dropbox? What are they?
This may not be as easy as I thought...

Dont worry you dont need ftp or dropbox if you just use a usb stick..just transfer the files onto the usb stick..and go to the other computer or tv and plug it in there

We've got some sporty types on here, coaches and such, and some parents so here's a Mumsnet style poser for you...

As I've posted on here, we took up kayak racing a couple of years ago as a family. We all still do it, but my eldest daughter (14) shows the most promise, really likes it, likes the club and the people and seems to enjoy the races and the training. She would appear to have the potential to reach quite a good standard. Generally that happens by moving up into different groups within the club and doing more/different training.

Trouble is, daughter is painfully shy and terrified of joining a higher level group with people she doesn't know, or at least hasn't spent time with so is refusing to take it further. Up to her of course, and we would never force her to do something she didn't want to do, but we know she would enjoy it once she started, she's even said as much herself, so we are trying to persuade her with no luck so far and risk making it worse and putting her off the sport altogether.

So which way to go - continue to encourage/cajole/sigh in a passive-aggressive manner, or just let her find her own way? I suspect the latter but there's a fair chance if we leave it up to her she'll never do anything, which would be a shame. some kids do seem to need a gentle shove.

We're not pushy parents and we don't care whether she just paddles for fun on a Saturday morning or wants to be an Olympian, but I'd hate to see her stop doing something she likes just because she's shy.

So if you've ever been a terrified 14-year-old girl or have the job of parenting/coaching/helping one (in whatever way), what would you do?

Always had the attitude to nurture and encourage the childs own interests, Is there any way you can integrate her into the better group, gently ? ie. visit without participating a few times, how did she manage joining her present club /

Interesting. Some have the confidence to throw themselves in, other don't. Does she have friends who do it at all? That would be one way I guess to encourage her ro at least try it.. it might just be a case of waiting for her to become more confident in her own ability and of making friends quickly.

Will check into it. Sky do something free for 12 months definitely noticed the other day. Thanks mate!

I dunno how feisty transactions like this can get in the UK, but when dealing with cable companies in the States you can get almost anything you want by threatening to take your business elsewhere. Just tell them that if they don't take out the landline part of the package you'll go to the competition. See where that gets you.

What is the structure of the coaching SLA? Is there any chance the coach she has now could implement a tougher schedule for her in the group she's in, or could she go up a level with the coach she's with now?

Alternatively are there friends of hers that could go up a level even if it's just for company? Quite often in teams I've coached people will connect with others and perform differently when in their company. It may be the case, even over a few sessions this may help her, (Please don't take this the wrong way as it's not meant to offend) especially if you are not involved as a family.

Back