• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

How much were you expecting?

See what they offer and if your happy with it then take it and move on.

2k. I wasn't expecting any form of contribution when I verbally accepted the offer, so it was a massive bonus so I am minded to take what I can. That 2k would certainly go some way to repaying my hefty Masters loan that kicks in at the end of this month though, but I'd still be able to get by without it at all, so I'm just going to have to see what they're going to offer.

I think I've answered my own question now!

Getting it out in the open can help mate.

If you have a good thing going then that's worth more than a few k's now IMO.

Yeah, it will reflect well on you if you sit down and work out a compromise than digging your heels in. Always good experience to stick up for yourself though (I really should do it more).

It sounds like a genuine mistake on the part of your employer. Easy enough to do if they don't have a legal department double-checking every detail. If it's not make or break financially for you, then definitely take a philosophical view on it and work out a compromise with them.

So much for wanting to offer a compromise. I was issued with a new contract today without the clause for payments towards uni costs. Yes, I'm really going to sign that without any form of discussion about what's happened.

I would go back and talk to the Director you first spoke to as you said that he indicated that they would have to offer you a 'resolution'. Giving you a new contract without the clause isn't a reasonable one.

Presume that you were aware of this condition when you took up the job & it could be construed as a factor in your decision to take it. Just probably need to bear in mind that if you are still in the probationary period then your situation is not as secure as it would be if that had been completed, so desk thumping & demands are probably not recommended (yet)

My wife is proud of the fact that she is down to only having two glasses of wine a night, how do I broach the subject that a glass that is a cross between a goldfish bowl and a beer stein is not your standard unit of alcohol measurement ?

My wife is proud of the fact that she is down to only having two glasses of wine a night, how do I broach the subject that a glass that is a cross between a goldfish bowl and a beer stein is not your standard unit of alcohol measurement ?

Use it a vase for the flowers you're going to surprise her with.

If she's holding the said objects, any heavy kitchen utensils or god forbid a hot iron I would recommend that the conversation gets left on the back burner.

How about suggesting a dryathlon in January followed by a couple of woopsie daisy I've dropped it moments in the kitchen that month?

Interesting topic. I went through a phase that lasted a few years, where i would drink a bottle of red 5 nights a week. My tolerance for wine and booze in general was high. I would sometimes do 2 bottles on weekends, or 6-8 beers. I had ways of managing hangovers, plenty of water before bed, eye drops in the morning, solpadeine for breakfast etc. I was working in the hotel and was able to function fine, it didn't really affect my job.. now that im in my thirties, and working a tough job which is very technical and requires constant brain power, I was not able to perform at work and noticed this fairly quickly. I was lucky that i had 4 weeks of training before I joined the team, as it allowed me to gradually reduce my alcohol intake.

Its not something you can just do overnight. I would never consider myself an alcoholic, but I was drinking regularly, sometimes bingeing at the weekend in town but mostly at home w the girlfriend, but it became too regular, and too easy and the enjoyment eventually goes out of it. Also you notice how much better your quality of sleep becomes. And other functions improve like memory and exercise.

Paul, if you try to emphasise the benefits of a few nights without wine, the rest comes naturally and she will notice an improvement in her overall well-being. I remember proudly saying to my g-friend that I only drink a bottle of beer or a glass of wine per night, but thats still too much and my g-friend explained that to me without being a moan

Anyone got any thoughts on this one...

We have an older employee, 67 years old, who's been with us for around 10 years. Of late he's been acting quite odd - not turning work round at his usual speed, making an unusual amount of errors, and getting very flustered and anxious over really trivial work stuff. The other day he locked one of his colleagues in the office, who he'd been talking to just minutes before. And when he talks he's switches subjects at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason.

We've no desire to get rid of him as he's very much part of the team and has a level of knowledge we wouldn't be able to replace. We've mentioned to him that we're concerned but he says he's fine and that he just had a run of unusually difficult jobs (he hasn't).

He has no close family - lives alone and isn't married and the job is pretty much his life. We're probably the only people he sees who would notice anything wrong with him.

So what to do when you see there's something wrong (no idea what, and not looking for a diagnosis on here) but the person says everything's fine?

Are there any health & safety grounds under which you can insist on a medical? Or Occ Health?

The difficulty is in getting his trust it appears. Quite possible he is vaguely aware something isn't right, but is scared about what it could possibly be (& it's implications).

Are there any health & safety grounds under which you can insist on a medical? Or Occ Health?

The difficulty is in getting his trust it appears. Quite possible he is vaguely aware something isn't right, but is scared about what it could possibly be (& it's implications).

Not really in terms of health and safety. He's a translator so he's not going to do any harm (apart from locking people in).

Yes, I expect he's wary of admitting a problem as that could spell the end of his working life, or at least a slowing down, which must be quite worrying.

Isn't locking other people in rooms or similar an issue? How has he explained that?

Back