• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Anyone know how to, or has shared books from kindle to kindle ?

I'd be grateful if someone could offer advice on this one.

I am in dispute with my former landlady over the deposit of a flat I've just left. She's claiming a big chunk of it for cleaning, new carpets and various other things, and I'm challenging all of it. I reckon I have a good-to-very-good case, with photographic evidence and witnesses. It's about to go to arbitration with the company that protected the deposit.

Now, the lettings agent has shown me photographs they took on the day of the 'check-out' (the final assessment of the flat after I'd vacated it). The check-out was done on 13 October. The lettings agent has repeatedly confirmed that date to me: 13 October.

However, yesterday they emailed me some photos taken during the check-out, which they'll be submitting as part of their evidence, and they all show 9 October as the date.

The difference between the two dates is significant, because builders were in the property between 9 and 13 October, making a considerable mess in several of the rooms. (I know, because I went back to take more photographs.) The flat was VERY different, cleanliness-wise, on 13 October than it had been on 9 October.

The lettings agent plans to submit these photos to the adjudicator. I am really unhappy about the discrepancy in the dates of the photos. Is it possible they may be inadmissible in evidence if there's some suspicion that they've been tampered with to give the impression that they were taken 4 days earlier than they were?

What did it say in the contract you signed when you started the tenancy?

What was the date the tenancy ended?
What date did you move out?
Was the check out done with you & LL or LA together?

They had builders in before the tenancy ended?
Have you evidence of this?
Why wouldn't they let you attend the check out?

It seems to me you have a good case if:

1. you have evidence the flat was in decent condition when you left;
2. the condition was worse after builders had attended whom you weren't responsible for (ie they attended at LL direction) and you have evidence of this;
3. the LL is providing misleading dates and you can prove it.

Why weren't you allowed to attend the check out? That sounds iffy to start with.

They had builders in before the tenancy ended?
Have you evidence of this?
Why wouldn't they let you attend the check out?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Because I think they were intending to make claims against my deposit that they knew I would have challenged vigorously, had I been at the check-out.

Last edited:
It seems to me you have a good case if:

1. you have evidence the flat was in decent condition when you left;
2. the condition was worse after builders had attended whom you weren't responsible for (ie they attended at LL direction) and you have evidence of this;
3. the LL is providing misleading dates and you can prove it.

1. Yes
2. I can prove this as long as the adjudicator is prepared to accept that the lettings agent's photos of 9 October were actually taken on 13 October.
3, I can't prove that they're trying to mislead. I've asked them to explain the discrepancy in the dates (which is crucial to my case, after all), and they replied via email: 'We do not know.'

1. Yes
2. I can prove this as long as the adjudicator is prepared to accept that the lettings agent's photos of 9 October were actually taken on 13 October.
3, I can't prove that they're trying to mislead. I've asked them to explain the discrepancy in the dates (which is crucial to my case, after all), and they replied via email: 'We do not know.'
The bolded response would be unacceptable to the adjudicator.
It would cast a negative light on the rest of their evidence too.

Edit can't see why the adjudicator won't accept the 9th date. It seems that the lettings agent has implicitly confirmed this via email or letter (I'm assuming), & has continued to answer queries without disputing this date?

The bolded response would be unacceptable to the adjudicator.
It would cast a negative light on the rest of their evidence too.

Edit can't see why the adjudicator won't accept the 9th date. It seems that the lettings agent has implicitly confirmed this via email or letter (I'm assuming), & has continued to answer queries without disputing this date?

They've explicitly confirmed it in an email. I hope you're right about the 'we do not know' response.

They've explicitly confirmed it in an email. I hope you're right about the 'we do not know' response.
Adjudicator will laugh at them! As well as being angry for wasting their time.
Bust out the cee-gar sonny! :)

Don't Amazon hold all your account details?
I don't know cause I don't use one but my wife does. (But she's asleep so can't ask her)
I do know that when hers went tits up and froze, when she got her replacement one, all her books were loaded onto it.. One's she'd read and ones she'd bought but hadn't got to yet.
So (in ignorance) can't you go to Amazon and do it from there?

As WH says, Amazon will let you redownload as many times as you like as long as the devices are registered to your account.

If not try Calibre e-book which can help you import/export/convert e-books as required. Free to download, easy to use, vids/info/downloads here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

As WH says, Amazon will let you redownload as many times as you like as long as the devices are registered to your account.

If not try Calibre e-book which can help you import/export/convert e-books as required. Free to download, easy to use, vids/info/downloads here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

No, I mean sharing books on other friends kindles, as in swapping. Or is someone just pulling me plonker and me being me being as gullible as ever !

No, I mean sharing books on other friends kindles, as in swapping. Or is someone just pulling me plonker and me being me being as gullible as ever !

No worries, I assumed this is what you meant. Purchased Kindle content is generally protected by what is known as DRM (Digital Rights Management) which is designed to protect the copyright of the author i.e. stop people sharing digital content without paying for it. On the other hand you might have a legitimate reason to backup your own ebooks so that you can use them on your other personal devices.

The Calibre program is a really good tool for storing your own books in a digital library anyway, but it also has a DRM removal plugin, which will allow you to freely transfer books between Kindles.

There are loads of guides on Google - but this one explains all and is simple to follows:

http://tinyurl.com/afwa2ce

Obviously, copying books between yourself and friend is illegal and J.K. Rowling et al will be off to the food bank as a result but that is for you to decide!:)

I've got a pretty large issue with some details of my contract at work, of which I'm 99% sure of where I stand, but further clarification would be ideal.

Essentially, my contract states my yearly wage and then additionally an agreement to pay £X towards my university costs. I've been there since September 1st and I'd heard nothing so far with regards to the payment of X. So today I went to speak to my boss (one of five company directors) and this agreement was news to him and that it was obvious that whoever had drawn up the contract had copied a previous example and had failed to remove the agreement. He stated that is was obviously an error, but recognised that the contract had been signed by both parties and thus was essentially binding, so he'd speak to his fellow directors and they'd have to offer me a 'resolution'.

Given the contract is signed, I'm assuming that it's tough shit on their part, but given it's my first job and they treat me pretty bloody well I don't want to get into a situation where it's going to be a divisive issue. I'm still on my probationary period and my contract states that both sides are able to terminate employment with one weeks notice prior to its expiry, so I don't want to get royally shafted and end up with nothing at all job wise.

It's not a scenario I was expecting myself to be in!

If the contract was signed more than 28 days ago, then it is binding. Ultimately as it has been given to previous employees, it could be argued it is custom & practise that you should get X too.

However, on the other side you're still in the probationary period, & if you play hardball, you might not pass this & be signing on. With less than 2 years service, this can put you in a potentially weak negotiating position.

Back