• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Anyone know anything about Bury (Lancs), Son is relocating there (work), best areas, areas to avoid etc.
Thanks.

Anyone know anything about Bury (Lancs), Son is relocating there (work), best areas, areas to avoid etc.
Thanks.

Lovely part of the world, on the edge of the pennines, great scenery, people are friendly, has a great market, where you can get black peas with vinegar in a little paper cup + wooden spoon.
Has a preserved steam railway there and the locals take great pride in the things that matter to them.
My wife used to live near there and visited it every weekend...

For specific info re areas within Bury, you'll have to see someone else..

Used to live in north Manchester and so know Bury quite well. Agree with what WH says though I don't know anything about peas and vinegar. Depending on how close to Bury they want to be I'd suggest looking at villages to the north i.e. towards the hills. I knew people who lived in Egerton and Haslingden. The Strawbury Duck and Last Drop Village are nice places to eat out.

Here you go Trev...

What's going for it? Black pudding, for starters. And being home town to the best chef in Christendom, Simon Hopkinson. They know their onions here. And their sweetbreads. And all manner of offal. Snuffle them out at the splendid market, this is the one that Roy mentioned. For those less attuned to the delights of pig's blood, Bury's still a pleasant place to live. It's smaller, more manageable and all-round nicer than its fellow edge-of-Manchester neighbours Rochdale, Oldham and Bolton. Studded with villagey spots such as Summerseat, its Victorian villas and semis are also way cheaper than those just south in Manc, whose bright lights are just a 20-minute ride away.

The case against Pockets of deprivation, like much of inner-urban Lancashire. The town's being – groan – regenerated, and while a billion squid isn't to be sniffed at, many locals wonder at what price (expect some hefty demolition).

Well connected? Nestled between the M60 east-west and the M66 north and south to Manchester, and the M62 east to Bradford and Leeds. The Metrolink tram takes 20 minutes or so to Manchester. The airport's about a half-hour drive away.

Schools Broadly good. Star primaries include Guardian Angels RC, Chesham, Fairfield and Greenhill, all "good" with "outstanding" features, says Ofsted; Our Lady of Lourdes RC, Woodbank and Lowercroft all "outstanding". Secondaries: the independent Bury Grammar schools for girls and boys both very popular; the state St Gabriel's RC High and Bury CofE High both "good" with "outstanding" features.

Hang out at… Ramsons, up the road in foody Ramsbottom, is the local star; Katsouris deli in Bury market; the Trackside pub for local ale.

Where to buy Lovely villagey suburbs such as Summerseat, Hawkshaw, Tottington, Lowercroft, Greenmount and Ramsbottom, with pre-19th century cores ringed by good Victorian property. Great, often huge, Victorian detacheds and semis on and off main roads out of town. West to Ainsworth and south to the river Roch for posh modern suburbs. Lots on the market at all prices.

Market values Barn conversions and farmhouses, £650,000-£850,000. Large executive detacheds, £375,000-£650,000. Three- or four-bed detacheds, £170,000-£375,000. Semis, £100,000-£300,000 (big, Victorian, posh area). Terraces and cottages, from £50,000 (two beds, less desirable area) up to £170,000 (three beds, nice area).

Bargain of the week The whole town, frankly. Four-bed Victorian terrace on Manchester Road, £149,950, Your Move (0161-763 5066).

From the streets

James Bentley "If there's a better way to spend a Saturday than brunch at Katsouris on the market, watching the Mighty Shakers at Gigg Lane and having a drink at the Blind Tiger on Bolton Street, then I haven't found it."

Jean Foster "The East Lancashire Railway – run entirely by volunteers, takes steam and diesel trains from Bury up the valley to Ramsbottom and around."

Bob Hargreaves "Bury's huge food market was recently voted best in Britain – it has several dedicated black pudding stalls."

Richard Baum "Absolutely ideal in terms of geography – you can be in the Peaks or the Lakes in an hour, the Yorkshire Moors in 20 minutes."

And this....

Bury is home to :
14 urban parks
16 play areas that meet European standards
22 multi play ball zones
24 tennis courts
4 skate parks
60 senior football pitches
45 mini soccer pitches
21 bowling greens
2 sensory gardens
4 local nature reserves.
Wherever you live or work in the borough you are never far away from green space.

Bury's award winning parks provide the ideal opportunity for recreation. They support healthy living and provide a stimulating, creative and adventurous environment for people of all ages to enjoy. Most of Bury's principal parks have achieved Green Flag standard, which means they are classed as some of the best in England and Wales.

The Green Flag is now flying proudly over every single one of Bury’s main parks.

In the national awards, Bury retained all 11 of its existing Green Flags – and also notched up a 12th, Hoyles Park in East Bury, at the first attempt. This is one of the highest success ratios in the country.

Bury’s 12 Green Flag parks are:

• Hoyles Park in Bury East;
• Openshaw Park in Bury East;
• Clarence Park in Bury East;
• Manchester Road Park in Bury East;
• Burrs Country Park in Bury West;
• Whitehead Park in Bury West;
• Nuttall Park in Ramsbottom;
• Town Meadow Park in Tottington;
• Whitefield Park in Whitefield;
• St Mary’s Park in Prestwich;
• Close Park in Radcliffe; and
• Bolton Road Park in Radcliffe.

And this is about the little villages very close to Bury but which have their own identity....

Bury Distinctive

Townships such as Ramsbottom, Tottington provide highly desirable locations around Bury with beautiful hills and scenic countryside on your doorstep. To the south the vibrant community of Prestwich provides a more urban environment with excellent links to the city centre. This, combined with the evolving town centre of Bury and access to outstanding schools and colleges means this is an up coming area that deserves strong consideration in the North West.

Read on to find out more about our distinct townships:

Bury
Bury is located on the fringes of the Pennine Moors. The River Irwell runs through the town and the town centre sits close to the bank of the river. The town is a popular destination for commuters and development has taken place in and around the town over the past few years. The town is also famed for being the birth place of Sir Robert Peel and the regimental homes of the Lancashire Fusiliers. Bury Market is a regional noted award winning open air market, famed for local delicacies such as Black Pudding, The East Lancashire Railway is a popular tourist destination and draws many thousands of visitors each year.

Radcliffe
Until recent years, Radcliffe was largely Victorian in character, with many streets of small dwellings built for the influx of factory workers during the Industrial Revolution. More recently the town has become a residential area, especially popular with commuters.

To the north Ainsworth is a small village with a picturesque village green and parish church. Also not the be missed is the Outwood Viaduct, the cycle trail and the rapidly developing country park and Millenium Wood at Outwood, where many of the most dramatic sculptures on the Irwell Sculpture Trail can be seen.

Ramsbottom
There are several villages within the Ramsbottom area - including Summerseat, Holcombe Brook and Hawkshaw. Part of Summerseat village is now a conservation area and nearby is the scenic Gollinroad Gorge, a local beauty spot. Holcombe Brook is a popular residential area with a range of local shops nearby. Holcombe Brook lies in the shadow of the famous Peel monument. Hawkshaw is a rural village surrounded by moorland and farmland.

Ramsbottom itself is a bustling local centre with a wide range of amenities from award winning restaurants to unique independent shops. The town has experienced a renaissance since the reopening of the East Lancs Railway and this brings many visitors to the town. The town centre is also home to a number of small supermarkets, a leisure centre and a local library.

The town also runs a successful annual Chocolate Festival and also a range of Farmer's Markets throughout the year.

The M66 runs to the east of the town and provides excellent links to Manchester, Blackburn and Burnley.

Tottington
Tottington is surrounded by a largely rural community and is a great place for walking. Since the 1970s Tottington has experienced an increase in population with new development taking place. Today it is very much a residential community with a range of housing. To the north is the isolated village of Affetside which lies on an ancient Roman road and this has breathtaking views over Greater Manchester and Winter Hill.

Whitefield
Although there are retail areas and many small flourishing businesses, Whitefield is essentially a residential community. Modern estates have been laid out with the accent on open spaces and green areas. Park Lane and Ringley Road provide some of the most exclusive and sought after residential property in the north of Greater Manchester. The town centre is home to a new supermarket, library and a range of independent shops,

Prestwich
Prestwich lies on the eastern side of the Irwell Valley. The busy village centre adjacent to the Metrolink Station is bounded on one side by the 20 hectare Prestwich Forest Park, a charming parkland containing many pleasant walks. On the other side Prestwich neighbours the vast recreational resource of Heaton Park - Europe's largest municipal park. Beyond that, to the north nestles the village of Simister which is full of character.

The centre of Prestwich is referred to as the village is based around the Longfield Suite and Axis development which contains shops, restaurants and a local library. Prestwich is also home to a busy supermarket.

Bury's award winning parks provide the ideal opportunity for recreation. They support healthy living and provide a stimulating, creative and adventurous environment for people of all ages to enjoy. Most of Bury's principal parks have achieved Green Flag standard, which means they are classed as some of the best in England and Wales.

The Green Flag is now flying proudly over every single one of Bury’s main parks.

In the national awards, Bury retained all 11 of its existing Green Flags – and also notched up a 12th, Hoyles Park in East Bury, at the first attempt. This is one of the highest success ratios in the country.

Bury safe
The lowest ever crime rates are now being reported in Bury and it's all thanks to the Community Safety partnership working with the local community, tackling crime. Working together a host of organisations form area based policing teams to confront issues happening in the borough.

Public Sector Partners in Bury work hard to deliver positive outcomes for local people in the borough. Watch our short film which shows some of the successes we have made in the last year.

Wow!, cheers Roy, i think i'll move up there myself.

Morning you clever people...

I've just got me a new laptop and I want please, an idiot's guide to transferring my emails from my old one to my new one which will have Windows 7 loaded and a new version of Microsoft office.
I do have a remote hard drive.

I've Googled this but it seems very complicated and contains lots of 'computerspeak'! Hence the Idiots guide request.

Thanks guys in advance....

What are you using for your email? Outlook?

What are you using for your email? Outlook?

Probably this
telegram2.jpg

I've got to go to the other side of Newark Notts on Monday, i've never been out that way before, i've got my Sat Nav but does anyone have an outline of the way from Wolves?, i'm guessing M6, M69, A46.
Thanks.

Depending which side of Wolverhampton you are and time of day you're going might it be quicker to pop along the A5 to Tamworth and then go for the M42?

I've got to go to the other side of Newark Notts on Monday, i've never been out that way before, i've got my Sat Nav but does anyone have an outline of the way from Wolves?, i'm guessing M6, M69, A46.
Thanks.

If you're going from Finchfield/ Castlcroft (which is where I used to live) go out through Pendeford up the A449 and across to the Cannock Road then up the A5 to the A38 and stay on there until you hit the A46. Should miss all the motorway traffic and being as it's school holidays I would imagine you have little traffic to worry about.

If you're going from Finchfield/ Castlcroft (which is where I used to live) go out through Pendeford up the A449 and across to the Cannock Road then up the A5 to the A38 and stay on there until you hit the A46. Should miss all the motorway traffic and being as it's school holidays I would imagine you have little traffic to worry about.

They're doing some work on that island where the A5 comes across to the A38 at the minute, it's not the end of the world but it can be shit somedays.

Thanks lads, i was thinking of doing the M6 way but the more i look at that route the more i fancy it.

Trev, the easiest way would be to take the M42/A42 to the M1 at junction 23a, then take the A453 to Nottingham, and follow signs for the A52 Grantham, that will bring you out at the A52/A46 roundabout and Newark is ten miles north of there on the A46.

Back