• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Any chance we could try pinching Zach Clough from bolton?

Hi all, new here but fancied joining in with transfer gossip and feel abit like a scout every time summer starts and wanted see what you all think for possible signings.
I've used wolfman09 suggestion as a template, hope you don't mind.

This is the kind of squad I want for next season:

Keepers: Ikeme + McCarey - is McCarey good enough for our back-up? - I can't recall seeing him play much. Does he have the potential to be our future no.1?

RB: Iorfa + Doherty

LB: Goldborne + 1

CB: Stearman, Baath, Hause, EEL

Wingers: Henry, RVLP, Jacobs + 1

CM: McDonald, Price, Edwards + 1 - I think we need a tougher tackler to match up with McDonalds reasonable assists tally in the middle, and possibly an attacking cm better than edwards

ST: Afobe & Dicko + 1 TARGET MAN TYPE

Rowe as a utility man.

SIGN THE FOLLOWING:

CB: Goldson? Local lad, league 2 team of the year.

LB: Furlong, on loan maybe, though QPR might want to use him if they go down.
Obita, very pacey and I think a lot of potential.

CM: Lounge
Poyet, loan from WH, did well for Charlton.
Clough, doubt Bolton would let him go but he has been immense at times.
Guthrie, likes to get stuck in, good set pieces.

LM: Antonio
Gray, Birmingham one, doubtful, loads of potential.
McClean, despite the controversy I think he's very good and better than the wingers we have, powerful and fast.

ST: Garner,
Riccardo Vaz te, scored a lot of important champ goals for West Ham
Walters, out of contract maybe too ambitious.
Carlton Cole, think he could do a job out of contract
Sammy Ameobi, always looks very quick needs development and wow, out of contract!

Loan for season: Evans

Harry Bunn impressed playing for Huddersfield against us, he looks just the progressive type that our club would look at.

Bunn is a good player I wouldn't mind us looking at him. Decent goalscorer from the wing so could go some way towards replacing Bakary.

I'd also look at Butterfield and Lynch from Hudds.

I'd have to imagine we'll go back in for Zyro before any other wingers.

Is Boukari fit now? Would like to see him play, and if alan is right he could be our saviour ;)

When someone has gone over two and a half years without even playing a single minute for the reserves you have to be writing them off. I don't even know what's wrong with him at the moment. Of course he could come back, it might happen but I think anyone expecting any serious contribution from him at this stage is deluding themselves.

Is Boukari fit now? Would like to see him play, and if alan is right he could be our saviour ;)

I said he was better than Sako (three years ago), not that he was Jesus.

I'd love it if it worked out for him here but as Dan says the odds are somewhere between "No Way" and "Fucking Impossible" right now.

Just read that. Still not ready to accept it....

Me neither. Though we should really accept it :(

We've been linked with Wallace for quite a while, so I'd hope we can get him - more goals from midfield next season will be really important.

On the sako replacement - I hope one of hunte, graham or Ismail can really come to the fore, we can afford to have a raw but exciting winger getting games.

Like I said before, our signings will shape how we look to set up next season and which direction Thelwell, Webber and Jackett feel we should go. We should certainly be looking for flexible footballers who can allow us to change formation/shape easier, I think that is something we struggle with in matches. Every now and then something works (Edwards playing on the left against Blackpool and getting the winner) but then we rely on that and give up on it when it doesn't work. I'm sure we work on changing shape during games in training but there is still plenty to improve on.

Keepers wise, if Kuszczak is happy to stay and battle with Ikeme I'm fairly happy for him to sign a new contract. I think people forget he went without a pre-season, and didn't play competitive football for a good 8 months or so. He will look quicker, stronger and more confident with a pre-season behind him. His clean sheet record is also very good while he has played.

Defensively, again I'm fairly confident with what we have. It's a chance for Hause and Ebanks-Landell to stake a claim at centre back when we come back as Batth will still be recovering. Whether KJ has confidence in them just yet will show if we look to sign a centre back or not. Also, not so much a huge area I feel we need to buy in but if we could sign a better back up left back we should. Rowe us shown to be poor there and Hause while solid is uncomfortable out there. It was good for his development to play games there but long term it would do him more harm than good. At right back Iorfa will hopefully cement his place further, while Doherty and EEL are capable back ups

Centre back targets: Harry Maguire, Liam Cooper Left Back targets: James Husband, Reece James, Sean Kavanagh

I really feel if we could sign a quality centre midfielder, McDonald would be able to go up another level. He started and finished the season very well, but it's still too obvious that if you stop K-Mac you stop Wolves to a certain degree. An excellent centre midfielder next to him and it improves us and him. Price and Evans have been able to get another 20 odd games at this level, which is fantastic and both have done very well for us at times. The challenge for Evans being maintaining his good form. He's clearly someone who trains well and has impressed in both pre-seasons, but he needs to get past set backs better. He was unlucky this season with his injury, as beforehand he was by a distance our player of the year at that point. Saville has it all to prove but KJ has spoken well of him and we will want to get the most of a sizable investment.

Centre Midfield targets: Nathaniel Chalobah, Danny Drinkwater, Massimo Luongo, Ashley Westwood, Rohan Ince.

In front of our midfielders I feel we need an extra spark. van la Parra and Henry have done fairly well this season, Henry more of a goal threat while (and however jammy they be) van la Parra creates a lot for us. Rajiv has a great chance to become a key player for us, if he can become more direct when taking on his full back and improve his end product he will be fantastic at this level. We will obviously be looking to replace Sako, whether it be directly or signing someone who may fit a different system. Graham, Hunte, Ismail and Bancessi all have opportunities to impress and claim a place in the first team squad next season. I suspect Jacobs will be sold.

Attacking Midfielder targets: Jed Wallace, George Williams, Jonny Williams, Alex Pritchard (ambitious)

If Afobe and Dicko had been available to us all season I'm fairly confident both would have 20 goals each in this league. Keeping them fit and together is crucial. When teams focus on Afobe, they will have Dicko bearing down on them. Attend to him, and Afobe is making runs in behind. Both of them are fantastic in front of goal too. What they need now is help. Sadly, McAlinden doesn't seem up to it. It feels like he will always be on the periphery. Hopefully he can improve again in pre-season but I don't think anyone will be expecting much. Clarke will rightly be released. We just need another good forward, who can contribute with goals and assists and also be prepared to fight his way in. Whether that is a young forward with something to prove, or a more experienced player, I don't personally mind as long as our team wouldn't fall apart if they needed to play like how we did with Clarke in the side.

Forward targets: James Wilson (ambitious again), Chris Long, Gary Hooper, Joe Garner, Tom Bradshaw.

We will have our list of targets already, hopefully we can act quickly before another team makes a stupidly expensive signing and skews the market. We will have hopefully learned from last summer where I think we misjudged the situation.

I can't see Albion paying that kind of money for him. If Sako wants to play in the premier league his agents may have to lower his wage demands.

His agent will telling the clubs that they normally would have to splash out Millions to just to get him and then pay him as well. So a larger than normal signing on fee and wage isn't anything big. No such thing as a free transfer (despite what some want you to believe when moaning about signings)

Interesting list Youngwolf particularly those under the radar player who many people know very little about George Williams, Chris Long, and Sean Kavanagh. Any two from those three and its happy days.

Back