• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

If you're talking about his behaviour on the field of play, we had Hunt for years and nobody had a problem with him when he was saving us from relegation in the last minute or taking on Albion on his own at Molineux. I think we need someone with a bit of tenacity if we're going to phase Edwards out.

If you're talking about off field incidents, well.. Has he ever really done anything wrong?

Hunt's heyday was before my time supporting Wolves, so I can't speak to that. I'd like to say I wouldn't have approved but as you rightly point out, things become a bit shaded when the goals are flying in.

I don't think McClean is in the Griffiths mold of off-the-pitch twattery, I just don't like his demeanor on the pitch.

Hunt's heyday was before my time supporting Wolves, so I can't speak to that. I'd like to say I wouldn't have approved but as you rightly point out, things become a bit shaded when the goals are flying in.

I don't think McClean is in the Griffiths mold of off-the-pitch twattery, I just don't like his demeanor on the pitch.

Those type of players are the ones who go on to become loved at Wolves. Look at some of the shit Alex Rae pulled and he's idolised here. In one game he headbutted Paul Dickov in the face, went down flailing his arms about and got Dickov sent off. Dickov had blood gushing down his face and Rae walked off scot free but 'he's got no hair, so we don't care, Alex, Alex Rae'.

Those type of players are the ones who go on to become loved at Wolves. Look at some of the $#@! Alex Rae pulled and he's idolised here. In one game he headbutted Paul Dickov in the face, went down flailing his arms about and got Dickov sent off. Dickov had blood gushing down his face and Rae walked off scot free but 'he's got no hair, so we don't care, Alex, Alex Rae'.

Different strokes innit

I guess I prefer the stereotypical "classy" player.

Different strokes innit

I guess I prefer the stereotypical "classy" player.

In a perfect world I'd agree. I had this discussion with Darlo/Aiki after Boro away, their keeper went down with 'cramp' in injury time with Boro one goal ahead (he did the exact same a week later vs Watford). Wolves haven't had a player like that for years, we're too nice and IMO it costs us points.

I see what you're saying, I just really loathe "gamesmanship". Clever it may be but it leaves a pretty sour taste, IMHO.

I would be more than happy to have McClean at Wolves, he's quality. Even though he's big and physical, he's got loads of pace, loads of tricks in the bag and an eye for goal.

And all this stuff about him being a prick off the field is garbage. He refused to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day as it's against his principles, and he slagged off Trappattoni on Twitter. So what?

He didn't show up drunk for training, he hasn't assaulted a paramedic on a night out, he's not a racist on social media. There is fuck all justification for calling him a prick off the field.

Nobody did call him that, Dub.

He's decent but from what I've seen of him he's a massive prick. Not sure he's the sort I want in the dressing room.

This. Not really sure what this is based on?

I think Deutsch called him a prick off the field too in another thread, and I just don't know what this opinion is based on?
We've had much bigger wankers at Wolves.

I was referring only to his demeanor on the field, to clarify. I know absolutely nothing about him off of it. He just seems very arrogant when he's playing and that's not a trait I appreciate in players.

Ironic because when I compete I'm twenty times worse.

I was referring only to his demeanor on the field, to clarify. I know absolutely nothing about him off of it. He just seems very arrogant when he's playing and that's not a trait I appreciate in players.

Ironic because when I compete I'm twenty times worse.

Is your opinion based around that crunching tackle on the Polish lad in the qualifier a few weeks back? Yes, he came across as a prick but it woke the crowd and the team up, and that's exactly what he had said he would do if we were losing and needed a boost and I applaud him for taking the initiative.

That was one game where he acted like a prick, but I havent seen any other instances of that behaviour, either at Sunderland, Wigan, Derry or Ireland.

Off the field, he actually seems like one of those players who use his fame wisely. He donated the poppy less Sunderland shirt to the cancer ward of a Dublin children's hospital. And he paid for his former teammate at Derry to travel to Germany for cancer treatment. So you can see why it baffles me when people slate him

He acted the cunt against us, but I really haven't got a problem if we go in for him.

You could understand that though because his team were about to get relegated. I wish Wolves had shown half the passion that he did on Sat when we were in the same situation a few years back. I thought he played really well on Sat btw.

In a perfect world I'd agree. I had this discussion with Darlo/Aiki after Boro away, their keeper went down with 'cramp' in injury time with Boro one goal ahead (he did the exact same a week later vs Watford). Wolves haven't had a player like that for years, we're too nice and IMO it costs us points.

just to back lycan, Wolves regularly bottle the nasty side of the game. (Diving,playacting, dirty challenges) and in general I applaud it. But imo we bottle it when it come to the win at all costs mentality.

I like Wolves to win above anything else. If that involves shady football then so be it.

McClean is a tosser and has done nothing for years, no thanks.

I don't think Alex Rae ever got anyone sent off when he was playing for Wolves btw, let alone Paul Dickov. Oh and I loathed Stephen Hunt, I really did have a problem with him when he played for Wolves, he couldn't play football.

I don't think Alex Rae ever got anyone sent off when he was playing for Wolves btw, let alone Paul Dickov. Oh and I loathed Stephen Hunt, I really did have a problem with him when he played for Wolves, he couldn't play football.

2004, 0-0 draw with Leicester City. Just checked and Dickov didn't actually get a red put the incident still happened. Rae headbutted Dickov and went down clutching his face like some kind of shit Rivaldo while Dickov stood over him with blood pouring down his forehead. It was pathetic. Look at some of the things he did/said when he was playing for Rangers as well, he came across as a right prick and played football like a rabid animal at Ibrox. Rightly revered for what he did at Wolves though, he was fantastic for us.

I didn't like Hunt either but I'd say as a whole most Wolves fans took to him. He could even have been counted as a bit of a fan favourite during certain times in his Wolves career.

I still don't see how McClean is such a tosser. Reading his open letter to Whelan last year he actually comes across as a really good guy.

I don't think McLean is a tosser, just principled and not very bright. Nothing unusual there.

He's a bang average footballer, a hard worker with little technique or end product. We should be doing better.

It would be a long summer if Wolves sign this type, we have to do far better than McLean both as a person and as a player. Not impressed at all.

Agree with Johnny and LK, we can do so much better than him. He's average

Sorry but thats just nonsense. You obviously don't like him, you've made it clear before, and that's fair enough, but calling him a tosser who's done nothing in years is just garbage Dan.

He was Sunderlands Young Player of the year 3 years ago, and playing for his country with a few MOM performances is hardly doing nothing in years.

I think he'd do well for us.

Back