• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

This is not an Akinbiyi situation where we doubled our money in 6 months. Although his goalscoring record was good everyone knew he wasn't up to much. Afobe I think could be the real deal, hopefully his head isn't turned.

This is not an Akinbiyi situation where we doubled our money in 6 months. Although his goalscoring record was good everyone knew he wasn't up to much. Afobe I think could be the real deal, hopefully his head isn't turned.

I wonder if there is a contract review for many Wolves players this summer, we may have to pay more as players show progression.

I wonder if there is a contract review for many Wolves players this summer, we may have to pay more as players show progression.

With £150k+ a week gone a few thousand extra per week here and there to keep the team happy shouldn't matter too much.

Wallace/Knockaert
Zyro
Wood

They'd be my main three targets/positions. We need better creativity and goals from attacking midfield areas.
Wood would be great competition for Dicko and an alternative when we need more physicality in games.

I'd snatch your hand off for Knockaert. Don't know much about Jed Wallace. Zyro is basically an unknown but looks to have potential. Wood is a tidy footballer with a delicious strike but I'm not sure he really fits our current system (which isn't to say we won't adjust it so who knows).

As for Afobe, I would be shocked if we don't get quite a few bids for him, but I think they'd have to number at least £15m before I'd consider it.

Jamie Ward being released by Derby, I'd like us to get him.

I think and hope that we can do better than him. He's at an age where he isn't going to improve and he's barely featured for Derby.

He can play on either wing, as the number 10 or up front. As a free transfer on moderate wages I think he's worth a go, remember that we effectively now have no left wingers and no back up strikers, assuming Jacobs and McAlinden don't come back into Ken's thinking. We do need a squad.

I like Ward. He always seemed to play well against us

Is he better than Jacobs? Or at least offer whatever it is that KJ feels Jacobs is lacking?

His record is better than I thought to be fair to him, but a quick snoop on the Derby forum indicates he's been crippled by injuries for pretty much the entire season.

So is Jacobs...

Jamie Ward being released by Derby, I'd like us to get him.

Strange how you shot down James McClean because of his attitude but want us to sign Ward. He can be a right little scrote at times.

Well if we accept they're both scrotes (I'll take your word for it), Ward is a much better footballer. His repertoire extends beyond knocking it past the full back and trying to bulldoze his way past. I mean, that kind of style has its place if you're as quick as Matt Jarvis, it's not sophisticated but it can be effective. McClean isn't even quick.

Primarily I don't want McClean as he is a rubbish footballer, him being a petulant knob is secondary in the equation.

McClean looked very good against us at Wigan, much more than just knocking it past and trying to run through, that just wouldn't have played against Iorfa and Ebanks-Landell on our right hand side. He's been Wigan's best player by far this season (I know that doesn't mean much, especially seeing as Blackpool just voted JOH as their POTS), I don't think there's much between them at all.

McClean looked very good against us at Wigan, much more than just knocking it past and trying to run through, that just wouldn't have played against Iorfa and Ebanks-Landell on our right hand side. He's been Wigan's best player by far this season (I know that doesn't mean much, especially seeing as Blackpool just voted JOH as their POTS), I don't think there's much between them at all.

Difference for me between McClean and Ward is Ward gets his head up and passes the ball far better. I think Wolves have to start passing the ball better in the opponents half next season to enable better chance creation into Dicko and Afobe.

Biggest difference:

Ward is clever, utilising space and movement. McLean is as stupid a footballer as I've seen.

Derby fans I know think Ward has had one injury too many and won't be the player he was again. He was tremendous at Molineux the year we went down playing as a number 10.

Back