• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

The point is you don't have to be one-dimensional, that's predictable. You do have to have the squad to play according to what is necessary to win.

We don't have Chelsea's money, so we have to unearth little diamonds and build a squad over time. Hopefully, KJ & Co. are doing just that.

Yes, the old Ajax system which we now seem to be adopting as 'new'. The Dutch must be laughing about this.

I still don't agree on Dicko. It is because his agility (you can call it lateral movement if you like) is so good in combination with his strength that the central role is made for him and pulling defenders around and getting them off balance is what he's best at. Centrally.

As for Robben, regardless of the player he is now, he's still an old fashioned winger at heart and is at his best running at players from wide positions. The fact he can go central and fo the same thing gives him that extra world class ability and versatility. He's not the same player as Messi who you would say is a wide forward.

I dont think of static positions, thats possibly the key point. If the front three rotate with intelligence they become a real threat.
Thinking back to Wolves strikers from the past and their best goals the wonder goal from Seb has him initially operating in the wider position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4sB-PHlgk

That wasn't a wide position, that's the right channel.

Gonna need a bit more from Coady's hair game. Buzz cut isn't gonna do unless he somehow grows a worldly beard.

I like to imagine new signings are locked into a dark cellar with our veterans and they don't let them out until they've assimilated with our hair culture.
All the while, chanting "the greater good" while the signing is strapped to a medieval torture device.

A bit like how Steve Rogers is injected with the Super Soldier serum. Except more painful.

THE GREATER GOOD

Yes, the old Ajax system which we now seem to be adopting as 'new'. The Dutch must be laughing about this.

I still don't agree on Dicko. It is because his agility (you can call it lateral movement if you like) is so good in combination with his strength that the central role is made for him and pulling defenders around and getting them off balance is what he's best at. Centrally.

As for Robben, regardless of the player he is now, he's still an old fashioned winger at heart and is at his best running at players from wide positions. The fact he can go central and fo the same thing gives him that extra world class ability and versatility. He's not the same player as Messi who you would say is a wide forward.

It was actually coached to me as a dutch system in the 90s. Used to play wide left in it and used to love it personally, probably the reason that the amateur side I manage I favour 433.

That is rare BMB. I wasn't coached it till the mid 2000's and even then the FA didn't believe in it. Where did you get taught it?

I should say I knew about it in 1999 and oddly enough the Americans were coaching this system then. Not panned out so well for them so far,

That is rare BMB. I wasn't coached it till the mid 2000's and even then the FA didn't believe in it. Where did you get taught it?

I should say I knew about it in 1999 and oddly enough the Americans were coaching this system then. Not panned out so well for them so far,

We used it for our school side, we used to have a really good side and would always get pretty fair in the national cups even though we didn't have any academy players, we won our local area school league and cups every year about 2 as well. Our manager used to often do PE lessons as extra sessions so we effectively trained 3 times a week from Y9. Probably the best side I played for despite it being so good I was frequently sub.

Maybe it's a Corby thing with a lot of the people not being English, but I rarely played in 442 growing up. The youth side I played for we used to play 451 and I used to play as the 10 and when I was a keeper and got in the district side a couple of times I can't remember what shape it was but it was 3 CB as you were taught to roll the ball out to one of them splitting wide.

Have you taken that philosophy into your coaching career? And how do other more traditional coaches look at that?

Linked with Le Fondre. A proper Championship back up striker there. Bolton and Ipswich also linked.

Wasn't he outstanding for Reading when they went up?

Complete horse shit whilst at Cardiff recently however he had a good stint on loan at Bolton.

He does score goals but that is literally all he does, he contributes nothing at all to general play. I don't think I'd want him here.

He does score goals but that is literally all he does, he contributes nothing at all to general play. I don't think I'd want him here.

Sometimes you need that though. We have 2 strikers who for me like to get involved in the build up whether that be coming short or running channels so Le Fondre might compliment them. He's pretty much guaranteed goals in this league if given chances and i would say there will be times when we need someone in the box to put chances away. I wouldn't mind him here as a third option but it would be a Championship only signing as he wouldn't be good enough if we go up.

Le Fondre today or maybe someone better in the next 7 weeks. Alternatively nobody or a panic buy at the end of August....decisions, decisions.

I think he'd be an ok signing, not someone I would be concerned about having to play for a month or so if required, but not someone that offers us a different style of play option like Wood would have done.

Le Fondre is OK but I think we can do better. I'd prefer a younger player, maybe Nakhi Wells. He can operate wide too though his best position is through the middle. Don't think Huddersfield would sell mind.

Ivan Toney is off to Newcastle it seems too

I hope Wolves can compete for the signature of players like Jelle Vossen ( linked to Burnley ) someone who can play high up the pitch and has the ability to hold the ball then play in runners.

Wasn't impressed with Vossen last season personally. Sigurdarson II.

Wasn't impressed with Vossen last season personally. Sigurdarson II.

I was just looking for a player who can receive and hold the ball for a few seconds, its something Wolves lack at times. I wouldn't mind Yann Kermorgant for a couple of seasons if Bournemouth upgrade which then makes him dispensable.

Back