• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

You could just put the emphasis on playing short passes through the middle, where you have extra men, rather than going wide to fullbacks who can't cross for shit. Play to your strengths, neither Dicko or Afobe are that great in the air anyway for it to really take so much away from their game if you're not hurling crosses in as often as possible.

Too many good-to-decent wingers in this league for a narrow 4-4-2 diamond to work consistently, I'd think.

Using the squad we have as of this hour, I'd say our best lineup is probably...

Ikeme

Iorfa - Stearman - Batth/EEL/Hause (not at all fussed as to which) - Golbourne

McDonald - Coady

Rajiv - Wallace - Dicko

Afobe

Agree Mark, that's why I'd be in favour of a diamond. When we play through the middle we are very good, but I still think we could do it a great deal more. Edwards always limited us in that aspect, but hopefully Wallace would improve us.

Still a long way to go in this window - who knows what we will or will not do during that time or what formations are possible with the personnel once we pass the deadline.

Hopefully Jackett & Thelwell have a plan

Agree Mark, that's why I'd be in favour of a diamond. When we play through the middle we are very good, but I still think we could do it a great deal more. Edwards always limited us in that aspect, but hopefully Wallace would improve us.

Ask yourself how many teams have had long standing success with that formation in this country.

That is the only reason i wanted a tall player in so we could change tactics/gameplan

Ask yourself how many teams have had long standing success with that formation in this country.
Can't think of any who have given it enough consideration to attempt building a squad with the formation in mind.

Worked pretty well for Liverpool when they needed a way to fit both Suarez and Sturridge in the team, plonked Sterling in behind and it was counter attacking bliss. Didn't stick with it after Suarez went though, not surprising considering the striking options available though.

Can't think of anyone else who's really given any more of a try than that though, other than Wolves under Hoddle but he threw players in all over the place so it was always destined to fail.

Perhaps, and I would say that that comes down to the Englisgh tradition of wingers as Alan pointed out too.

I'm just looking at our squad, seeing where we are strong (two defensively excellent full backs, good midfielders, two fantastic forwards) and think it might suit us.

I'm not having this Dicko on the left nonsense mind you. He is a striker, and a bloody good one.

Perhaps, and I would say that that comes down to the Englisgh tradition of wingers as Alan pointed out too.

I'm just looking at our squad, seeing where we are strong (two defensively excellent full backs, good midfielders, two fantastic forwards) and think it might suit us.

I'm not having this Dicko on the left nonsense mind you. He is a striker, and a bloody good one.

It's not just an English tradition, all the best sides play with width. In the last 5 years or so that is wide forwards rather than wingers but I can't think of a decent team without them.

I think we'd be nuts to go down the diamond route and I do think it will be 4-3-3 but only one of Dicko/ Afobe central.

For me I just don't like the idea of one of those players wide. Hey just won't be as effective nor do I think the team would work that well rather than having two forwards.

Watford had a good system in the second half of the season with Deeney and Ighalo/Vydra up top with a diamond in midfield. That said, ultimately I think we will end up 442 which leaves quite a few players on the fringes. We will sign a wide player , maybe even two

Great to see KJ revamping midfield. We'll be mainly a narrower 442 I think or back to his 4231 if not getting a grip on midfield.

......................Ikeme
Iorfa........Batth......Stears.....SG/Rowe
..Wallace....Coady...Kmac...(new signing)
..............Afobe........Dicko

or

......................Ikeme
Iorfa........Batth......Stears.....SG/Rowe
..............Coady.......Kmac
...Afobe....Edwards/Wallace...(new signing)
......................Dicko

If we got Coady I could imagine a line-up like this:

--------------------------------Ikeme

--Iorfa---------Baath--------------------Stearman--------Golbourne

----------------------KMac---------------Coady

--------------------------------Wallace

------------RVLP--------------Dicko-------------Afobe

This one looks good. Diamonds make me quiver...watching England trying to play it was awful. But then that's true of most England games.
I think we've got to accept that their one of Afobe or Dicko warms the bench, or plays wider. I can't see how it would work in a way I'd be happy with.

Just because you play 433 it does not mean one player is forced out hugging the touch line. Formations are fluid. Dicko often finds himself running the channels anyway.

Golbourne doesn't have the pace that Iorfa has to let him get up and down and do both jobs.

Just because you play 433 it does not mean one player is forced out hugging the touch line. Formations are fluid. Dicko often finds himself running the channels anyway.

I know that. maybe this is where I need to put more faith in the coaching staff. When we have tried this previously with previous it has often failed.

Correct, much of Dicko's best work is from wide right starting positions, if Wolves work on a front three with good rotation your heading towards what many clubs are doing.
The games evolved from wingers hugging the line Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben are nothing like the wide players they were ten years ago, thats the tactical way forward.

Correct, much of Dicko's best work is from wide right starting positions, if Wolves work on a front three with good rotation your heading towards what many clubs are doing.
The games evolved from wingers hugging the line Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben are nothing like the wide players they were ten years ago, thats the tactical way forward.

You must be watching a different game to me. Dicko's best work came through the middle or inside left/ right (playing on the outside shoulder of the CB).

I agree with you about wide players not just being wingers and I hope Wallace is our Hazard. (Robbed was and is a winger).

In some forms of the 433, if you play in the wide positions then you are coached to makes sure that if the other winger has the ball then you need to be in the box when it's delivered. Usually this would come with a holder in the 3 behind you who is then taught to cheat to that side of the field to take a position to limit a counter attack down the flank where your winger has gone narrow.

Also Newcastle played 433 with Ba and Cisse, they used to rotate them between central striker and one of the flanks.

You must be watching a different game to me. Dicko's best work came through the middle or inside left/ right (playing on the outside shoulder of the CB).

I agree with you about wide players not just being wingers and I hope Wallace is our Hazard. (Robbed was and is a winger).
You missed the words Some of.
Dicko is capable of playing across the front line, right, centre or left because he has good lateral movement.

Robben has evolved so much during the last decade calling him a winger now is just nonsense.

In some forms of the 433, if you play in the wide positions then you are coached to makes sure that if the other winger has the ball then you need to be in the box when it's delivered. Usually this would come with a holder in the 3 behind you who is then taught to cheat to that side of the field to take a position to limit a counter attack down the flank where your winger has gone narrow.

Also Newcastle played 433 with Ba and Cisse, they used to rotate them between central striker and one of the flanks.

Yes, the old Ajax system which we now seem to be adopting as 'new'. The Dutch must be laughing about this.

You missed the words Some of.
Dicko is capable of playing across the front line, right, centre or left because he has good lateral movement.

Robben has evolved so much during the last decade calling him a winger now is just nonsense.

I still don't agree on Dicko. It is because his agility (you can call it lateral movement if you like) is so good in combination with his strength that the central role is made for him and pulling defenders around and getting them off balance is what he's best at. Centrally.

As for Robben, regardless of the player he is now, he's still an old fashioned winger at heart and is at his best running at players from wide positions. The fact he can go central and fo the same thing gives him that extra world class ability and versatility. He's not the same player as Messi who you would say is a wide forward.

Back