• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

@BBCLeeds understands Huddersfield Town's Conor Coady is undergoing a medical at Wolves. #htafc making no comment yet.

hes already passed the medical, been at wolves Wednesday and Thursday. Guess they are talking today and would expect an announcement by Monday (if he decides he wants to come)

His agent has just tweeted a picture of Compton with the comment "Deal Time"

James Lippett ‏@JamLipp78 41m41 minutes ago
Deal time...
CI_OMSJWUAEPb09.jpg

41 mins and no announcement yet. Useless club

James Lippett ‏@JamLipp78 41m41 minutes ago
Deal time...
CI_OMSJWUAEPb09.jpg

41 mins and no announcement yet. Useless club

That might have knocked a couple of grand of the agent's fee. Moxey no likely, leaky leaky.

When will these moron football agents learn?

Ring one up, tell them you used to sell double glazing and can spell your name correctly and they'll offer you a job.

So I need no qualifications other than looking like a twat and can make hundreds of thousands a year by spending my day on Twitter and my mobile phone?

So I need no qualifications other than looking like a $#@! and can make hundreds of thousands a year by spending my day on Twitter and my mobile phone?

Well you'll need to be FA affiliated but I'm fairly sure you can download them from the internet/ win them in a kinder egg.

Because none of them would offer anything substantial in an attacking sense. Price is a DM, KMac likes to come deep to get the ball and dictate whilst Coady sounds like more of a box to box player. You need somebody in there whose first instinct is to get up and beyond the forward.

It would be horribly balanced. Akin to Brendan's midfield specials he was sending out at the back end of last season.

Because none of them would offer anything substantial in an attacking sense. Price is a DM, KMac likes to come deep to get the ball and dictate whilst Coady sounds like more of a box to box player. You need somebody in there whose first instinct is to get up and beyond the forward.

It would be horribly balanced. Akin to Brendan's midfield specials he was sending out at the back end of last season.

OK. I don't know enough about the capability of Coady or the role that KJ wants him to fill, but KMac is certainly capable of attacking and creating chances for our scorers. Surely Wallace is the man to 'get up and beyond the forward' and Iorfa and Golbourne ( when fit ) providing the width. Coady and Price providing the cover that frees up KMac more, and helps the defence. Stronger centre.

If you have price kmac and coady you aren't likely to play Wallace unless you drop rvlp which makes us ridiculously narrow and unbalanced

If you have price kmac and coady you aren't likely to play Wallace unless you drop rvlp which makes us ridiculously narrow and unbalanced

You don't mince your words Paddy.

I don't think it would be 'ridiculously' narrow as you have your FBs providing width. I feel it would only be an unbalanced system if you played a winger on one side only. Wallace would play the 'No.10' role or the head of the 'diamond', however you view it.
I understand Coady covers every blade of grass when he plays so he's not going to be stuck in the middle or at the back and could rotate defensive duties with Price.

We need to consider the defensive side also, as my concerns about our defence being left open to quick breaks would be eased by playing this way.

It's by no means the only way to play and having a squad that is flexible is an absolute necessity in today's game.

I don't like diamond formations principally because it means you're relying on full backs providing almost all your width. It means that you're going to be making a compromise somewhere, either you'll lack width going forward or you're going to get in a lot of situations where one or both full backs are caught miles up the pitch and the opposition break. Also neither Golbourne nor Iorfa are particularly good crossers of the ball, I don't even want to think about Hause or Doherty in that formation.

If Coady is as athletic as Dinowolf believes, then he is just what we need, Price tries hard but he is a little on the small side and not that mobile, while Kmac defensively is very poor and as mobile as me (i.e. not at all). Suspect it may be Price that makes way which is a shame for the kid but we can't afford to be too soft.

As I said yesterday, Coady reminds me of Henry pre promotion, he can get up and down the pitch and is a different type of player to Price although I think they'll be competing for the same place. He's not a true all round midfield player in the Robson/Keane/(young)Ince mould though, he's not going to score 10 goals next year.
I'm in the minority here, but I think we'll start the season 442, based on current personnel with Rowe on the left of midfield and RVLP on the right. I hope we don't go narrow expecting the full backs to provide the width as Golbourne's crossing is no better than average and (based on last year) Iorfa's is awful.

In the piccy of Coady on the BBc web site, he looks a lot like a young Roy Keene, if he plays half as well i will be a happy bunny.

As I said yesterday, Coady reminds me of Henry pre promotion, he can get up and down the pitch and is a different type of player to Price although I think they'll be competing for the same place. He's not a true all round midfield player in the Robson/Keane/(young)Ince mould though, he's not going to score 10 goals next year.
I'm in the minority here, but I think we'll start the season 442, based on current personnel with Rowe on the left of midfield and RVLP on the right. I hope we don't go narrow expecting the full backs to provide the width as Golbourne's crossing is no better than average and (based on last year) Iorfa's is awful.

I genuinely doubt Golbourne averaged more than a cross a game last season, he was still a great outlet for us high up the pitch but he rarely put it in the box himself, he'd lay it back inside for Sako/McDonald to deliver. Could have been instruction I suppose, if you're no good at crossing then why bother slinging it in only for it to sail over everyone's heads à la Lee Naylor. Iorfa gets into some great positions but you can see he is still learning on the job and hasn't had much practice at crossing the ball in his youth career.

This is the thing with attacking full backs and relying on them to do all that side of things for you (as you do in a diamond or if you play shitty 3-5-2), they have to be so good at so many things that finding effective ones and not having them in turn become a paradoxically weak point in the team is extremely difficult. Different story of course if all you're asking them to do is support a winger parked in front of them, far less onus on actual delivery for one thing.

Back