• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I like Wood and its good to see us linked to players that would offer us something different. Sometimes your opponents prevent you from playing short so the long ball option comes into play. It would be nice to see how Dicko and Afobe operate working off the second ball.

I wouldn't be against Wood signing but for a reasonable fee, we still have other areas that need strengthening so wouldn't want to lose the majority of the budget on a player that won't be automatically first choice.

That said, Edwards popped up with some game winning headers such as Norwich and ironically Leeds, Woood will add another threat in that respect too.

September 1963 - Ray Crawford (Ipswich Town) £55,000
February 1968 - Derek Parkin (Huddersfield Town) £80,000
July 1972 - Steve Kindon (Burnley) £100,000
September 1977 - Paul Bradshaw (Blackburn Rovers) £150,000
September 1979 - Andy Gray (Aston Villa) £1,469,000
March 1995 - Dean Richards (Bradford City) £1,850,000
September 1999 - Ade Akinbiyi (Bristol City) £3,500,000
June 2009 - Kevin Doyle (Reading) £6,500,000
June 2010 - Steven Fletcher (Burnley) £6,500,000

Progression of record transfers (according to wiki). I'd forgotten that we paid so much for Akinbiyi and Richards.

Look at that Andy Gray one. Would be like us spending £20m on a player now.

Deano is one of the most talented players I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt. I was very bitter when he left us on a free after we'd looked after him through his injuries.

There's a handful of Wolves fans who are still bitter about this.

Look at that Andy Gray one. Would be like us spending £20m on a player now.

Deano is one of the most talented players I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt. I was very bitter when he left us on a free after we'd looked after him through his injuries.

The amount paid for Gray was offset by the amount we received for the transfer of Steve Daley (£1.44m) to Manchester City. It was still crazy money at the time though.

We had quite the raft of £2.5-3m signings in the Prem. Milijas, Zubar, JVD, Halford, Mouyokolo, Hunt etc. Maierhofer ended up costing that much as well. Akinbiyi was £3.5m. Johnson and O'Hara were about £3.5m each I think? Sako was £3m, Sigurdarson was £2.2m I think.

Fletcher and Doyle out on their own of course.

Edit: Miller was £3m as well.

I thought Johnson/O'Hara were closer to the £4.5 million mark?

Of course I may be well off the mark as I'm not privy to the kind of information required to have an informed opinion - but from everything I have seen/read, it's quite obvious Wolves & Kenny are keen. The player himself has made no noises - nor has his agent - and he's previously given up the chance to come here before. So if he's not interested - let it go and move on to the next one. If he doesn't fancy some competition and doesn't fancy the fight to win the shirt and better himself, he's not the kind of player we should be looking to sign anyway. To be honest, I'm not keen on him as a player. He's still young and has scored a few goals at this level, but his recent goalscoring record isn't very impressive at all.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we miss out on him.

I feel that over £3million for a player in the last 12 months of his contract, who has rebuffed us before is a bit excessive.

Apparently, Cardiff are now trying to highjack the Wood bid.

Just had a look on Twitter and I'm very surprised by the opposition to Wood potentially signing.

Leeds fans on WACCOE reckon they've got Wood (fnarr) subject to a medical.

Sane people on Twitter suggesting that Wood has signed for Leeds for more money and a 4 year deal. That's fine by me. Can't break the wage structure and he is clearly not a potential PL player

September 1963 - Ray Crawford (Ipswich Town) £55,000
February 1968 - Derek Parkin (Huddersfield Town) £80,000
July 1972 - Steve Kindon (Burnley) £100,000
September 1977 - Paul Bradshaw (Blackburn Rovers) £150,000
September 1979 - Andy Gray (Aston Villa) £1,469,000
March 1995 - Dean Richards (Bradford City) £1,850,000
September 1999 - Ade Akinbiyi (Bristol City) £3,500,000
June 2009 - Kevin Doyle (Reading) £6,500,000
June 2010 - Steven Fletcher (Burnley) £6,500,000

Progression of record transfers (according to wiki). I'd forgotten that we paid so much for Akinbiyi and Richards.

Interesting, it's fair to say all of those were hits, with the possible exception of Gray? Although we made most of our money back on him.

I can only go off second hand stuff, my Dad always reckoned Gray was a cracking player but injured too often and 'worth' (in contemporary terms) about half what we paid for him.

Would have liked to have the club sign Wood but if Leeds came in and are offering far more than we can match then can't be that disappointed.

It's good that the back room staff are now being a bit more responsible fiscally.

Interesting, it's fair to say all of those were hits, with the possible exception of Gray? Although we made most of our money back on him.

We paid Villa £1.5m for Gray in 1979, an English record at the time, and sold him to Everton in 1983 for £0.25m, so we didn't get anywhere near what we paid in money terms.

He scored the winner in the 1980 League Cup Final and then stayed with us through our relegation in 1982 and helped us get promotion a year later, so he repaid us in other ways. If I remember right he stayed with us even though Man Utd were after him.

So he was a hit in my eyes.

Would have liked to have the club sign Wood but if Leeds came in and are offering far more than we can match then can't be that disappointed.

It's good that the back room staff are now being a bit more responsible fiscally.

Not very often you see a "young" poster speak such reasonable gospel.

Back