• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Sounds like around £7m. Well played Leicester City. For me that is a belting deal. If it means Wood heads here then bonus.

Got to be honest i'm not really fussed about Wood, if he comes then hope he does well but i'm not convinced by him.

Doesn't really work as direct backup for either of the first choice two though does he? Much more similar to Graham/Sagbo in style than Dicko/Afobe, so whilst an improvement on Clarke individually there's still going to be a lot of adapting as a team for him to fill in.

I'd be happy with Wood, we'd then have 4 genuine styles of attack: 442 with passing football with Afobe and Dicko up top, 451 with Wallace behind one of the existing forwards, 451 with Wood holding the ball up and bringing the wide players and midfield into play (like Martin at Derby) 442 with Wood as a target man for us to go direct.

Wood is just a bigger Jovetic for me, decent technique and can strike a ball like nobody's business but his affect on overall play is negligible.

As for Okazaki I like him but he's not exactly full of goals.

Wood is a big strong upper body player with a decent finish on him. More like Afobe that anyone else we've had.

Not close to matching Afobe's pace, surely.

Wood is just a bigger Jovetic for me, decent technique and can strike a ball like nobody's business but his affect on overall play is negligible.

That's a strange comparison, Wood is a unit, Jovetic is a flake. The latter doesn't have any impact on English football because he is a complete fanny.

Danny Graham and Yannick Sagbo didn't work out here but it wasn't really anything to do with them being intrinsically incompatible with our style of play or the players surrounding them. They were just rubbish.

That's a strange comparison, Wood is a unit, Jovetic is a flake. The latter doesn't have any impact on English football because he is a complete fanny.

Disagree with that, he hasn't had an impact because he doesn't know how to contribute to an attack. Even at Fiorentina he was never asked to do that. Any time he picks up the ball in possession he has to stop for a few seconds to assess things; not an inkling of what's happening until ten seconds after it's already happened.

So he's slow in thought as well as body. I don't think it is that though, technically he isn't a horrible player. He's just got the heart of a pea and the body of a shrew.

It's a physical thing why he has done nothing at City. He can't stay fit and when he does you can knock him off the ball by breathing on him. He obviously has some talent somewhere but Serie A is full of forwards who are totally incompatible with other leagues, cf Gervinho, Balotelli, Immobile, etc etc.

You'll have to explain this "heart of a pea" thing to me then because I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by it.

He's got no fight in him, you knock him about and he doesn't want to know. If the team's losing he doesn't want to know.

We've had plenty of them down here.

I guess I'll have to keep more of an eye out for that sort of thing, personally I see players who have given up once in a blue moon, for the most part they're just piss poor mentally. No football IQ.

From playing experience I would make rather play against a pacey and skilful player despite being slow myself, then have a big strong attacker come stand on my toes and stand and fight with me. I played against Tony Crane a few years ago, anyone remember him? fucking unit that played for Wednesday and Grimbsy, he must have been 20 stone and I am 11 and a half stone holding mid that had been transplanted into a back 3 and it was honestly the worst day of my fucking life despite me usually not having any real issues when dropping to cb. Lovely lad mind, had a fag at half time too which I respect!

Semihappy if we get wood, we do need some weight and power to throw in and change tactics if behind in a game..why not

I would offer him a lower wage than we did last summer.

Jed Wallace then Nouha Dicko next Chris Wood, some good signs that Wolves are going for it next season.

Back