• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I really don't think any stick Van La Parra gets (some of which is unjustified) is because he isn't English. As for Paterson Lincs sums up my thoughts.

If he was Ryan Vance from Rowley Regis instead of Rajiv van La Parra from Rotterdam we'd be raving about him.

I really don't think any stick Van La Parra gets (some of which is unjustified) is because he isn't English. As for Paterson Lincs sums up my thoughts.

Classic in-group vs. out-group stuff, really. Not exactly vicious but worth being aware of.

Dicko, Sako are/were extremely popular and are French/Malian. Leon Clarke is from Wolverhampton and is despised. I agree that if he was local (I know you are drawing Danny Batth comparisons) he would get more slack, but don't believe being Dutch gets any more stick than if he were a Geordie/Scouser etc. Be interested to see what others think as the two posters above are none English residents, so have a different perspective to me.

Last edited:
Dicko is/was a resounding success and Sako had some major detractors during his first year here, tbf.

Dicko, Sako are/were extremely popular and are French/Malian. Leon Clarke is from Wolverhampton and is despised. I agree that if he was local (I know you are drawing Danny Batth comparisons) he would get more slack, but don't believe being Dutch gets any more stick than if he were a Geordie/Scouser etc. Be interested to see them what others think as the two posters above are none English residents, so have a different perspective to me.

IMO Sako and Dicko are protected from some (not all) of it because they're both hard as nails and clearly nice guys whereas van La Parra is easily unsettled by any physical challenges and is generally a quieter personality on and off the pitch (they're also both just better footballers which helps a lot). Leon Clarke is just shit.

Dicko is/was a resounding success and Sako had some major detractors during his first year here, tbf.
I'm not suggesting Wolves fans can't be twats, just that I'm not convinced Nationality comes into it.

I'm not the one who even brought the subject up. I'm contributing to a pre-existing conversation.

Fucking hell, any chance to leap at Alan eh.

I never picked up on Sako getting any stick, in fact I always felt he was the only thing to emerge from that season with any any semblance of credit. VLP has all the tools but seems too hesitant hopefully it's something he can eliminate with time. I do see what Lycan says, we do cream ourselves over any new English/British talent, not just Wolves fans either but in reality for every Keane there is a Proudlock, Clarke and Winnall.

I never picked up on Sako getting any stick, in fact I always felt he was the only thing to emerge from that season with any any semblance of credit. VLP has all the tools but seems too hesitant hopefully it's something he can eliminate with time. I do see what Lycan says, we do cream ourselves over any new English/British talent, not just Wolves fans either but in reality for every Keane there is a Proudlock, Clarke and Winnall.
Of course, he general sentiment toward him was never outright negativity. But there was a lot of talk of his poor defending and even some saying that we were a better team without him.

Jeez is this summer going to be void of real thought! come on guys, talk proper.

Back