• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

apart from Forest who scored 71, and conceded 69..the top 9 teams in the league, scored the most goals also..

If you score three in a game it's not that likely anyone is going to catch you at any level. You can't sustain that though. No-one scores 138 goals in a season.

If you neglect defending then you won't get very far, whichever division you're playing in. It's much easier to set yourself up to win games 1-0 regularly than 3-2. There's far less that can go wrong. I don't have any time for managers who play in a hopelessly naive style (hello Brendan), I'm not about to shrug my shoulders and say "we gave it a go" if we're leaking goals all over the place.

Given that our back four is fine unless we get a lot of injuries all in the same area all at the same time, and we have two of the best forwards outside the Premier League, our biggest issue at the moment is midfield, especially if we want to play both Afobe and Dicko. We don't have anyone to play on the left, Jacobs is currently the only option without putting someone wildly out of position and he isn't really in favour and isn't really a winger. We don't really have the central players to play in a two, if McDonald is a more or less guaranteed pick then we have a choice between Edwards (too easy to just walk through us), Evans (no mobility) and Price (no attacking threat at all to go with McDonald's zero goal threat), so it's never properly balanced. Wallace doesn't strike me as an answer in a two, but he's obviously been bought with a purpose in mind. As mentioned earlier in the thread I can see us moving to 4-3-3, we'll need at least two more forward/wing options and at least one other central midfielder if we do that.

the table speaks for itself though doesnt it..its a lucky luke league thats all..you cant do it in the PL though i will give you that..you get out of the championship by scoring goals

One table in isolation doesn't tell you anything, it'd be like concluding that 75 points is no longer enough for a top six spot because it wasn't this year and ignoring the 20 years before that when it was. I've already shown you five years of evidence that says you need a good defence more than a good attack, you can have another five years if you like, and another five on top of that...

give me the table the last lets say five years one of the top 2 sides has scored less than 65 goals then? or 70? any team?

all im saying is that the more goals you score is more likely you get promotion, not the less goals you concede..and before you answer my question Hull got promotion in 2013 with 61 goals

have i ever said you need to score 3 goals per game??

yeah, its not very likely you will lose then is it?

all im saying is that the more goals you score is more likely you get promotion, not the less goals you concede..and before you answer my question Hull got promotion in 2013 with 61 goals

QPR went up with 60 goals in 2014 as well.

The point is that you get the same number of points for 4-3 as you do for 1-0. Shut up shop and you will win more than you lose.

easier to shut up shop though and many teams will be almost as good as your team doing that..if you have proper scorers though many teams will struggle to score as many..

in the top 2?

You already disproved your own very narrow request anyway :icon_lol: I could ask you to show me all the teams that have finished in the top two and let in 60 goals if we're going with obtuse requests, you'd be searching for a long time though.

If you score more goals than the other team, you will win the game. #proanalysis

/discussion

Old cliche but very true. Attacks win games, defences win titles.

If you score three in a game it's not that likely anyone is going to catch you at any level. You can't sustain that though. No-one scores 138 goals in a season.

If you neglect defending then you won't get very far, whichever division you're playing in. It's much easier to set yourself up to win games 1-0 regularly than 3-2. There's far less that can go wrong. I don't have any time for managers who play in a hopelessly naive style (hello Brendan), I'm not about to shrug my shoulders and say "we gave it a go" if we're leaking goals all over the place.

Given that our back four is fine unless we get a lot of injuries all in the same area all at the same time, and we have two of the best forwards outside the Premier League, our biggest issue at the moment is midfield, especially if we want to play both Afobe and Dicko. We don't have anyone to play on the left, Jacobs is currently the only option without putting someone wildly out of position and he isn't really in favour and isn't really a winger. We don't really have the central players to play in a two, if McDonald is a more or less guaranteed pick then we have a choice between Edwards (too easy to just walk through us), Evans (no mobility) and Price (no attacking threat at all to go with McDonald's zero goal threat), so it's never properly balanced. Wallace doesn't strike me as an answer in a two, but he's obviously been bought with a purpose in mind. As mentioned earlier in the thread I can see us moving to 4-3-3, we'll need at least two more forward/wing options and at least one other central midfielder if we do that.
No-one? Little more than a quarter of a certain team has gone close on that this season. :)

Was actually thinking that haha!

Ok, no-one except a team containing three of the most expensive attackers of all time :icon_lol:

Even they didn't manage three goals a game across the entire league season. Real did just about but they haven't won anything, probably on account of having a worse defensive record than Villarreal...

Back