• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

ha ha translation says his name is Gyro, so maybe we won't have to pay him ha ha ha .

So... KJ went to watch him?

Cracking translation - maybe that's the way forward, players assessing the manager. Hope KJ impressed with a few keepy-uppies...

Watford did with Deeney (33 apps and 21 goals), Vydra (31 apps and 16 goals) and Ighalo (22 apps and 20 goals). All about man management and keeping them sweet, the Watford manager was able to do that.

yeah, as i said before, goals are more vital than keeping clean sheet to earn promotion..

I like Gayle too, he has lots of pace and is a decent finisher

yeah, as i said before, goals are more vital than keeping clean sheet to earn promotion..

You need both really, it isn't an either/or question. If we hadn't conceded 16 goals in five games during our horror run then we'd have made the playoffs. Also if you're continually having to score three to win a game then you aren't going to get very far. Fortunately our first choice defence is absolutely fine for this level as it is.

You need both really, it isn't an either/or question. If we hadn't conceded 16 goals in five games during our horror run then we'd have made the playoffs. Also if you're continually having to score three to win a game then you aren't going to get very far. Fortunately our first choice defence is absolutely fine for this level as it is.

i know you need both but if i had to choose one of them it would be scoring goals..

All the best managers in the world over the last 30 years have built teams on the foundations of a solid defence, no-one wins anything if they're leaking goals all the time. Give me a team where you can have confidence that most of the time at 1-0 up they'll see it out any day. The Leeds game this season exposes the folly of not paying attention to defending, you're way in front and in total control of the game, but defend like lemons and all your hard work can be thrown away.

I don't much care for basketball, a 0 in the goals against column is always a good thing.

tha championship isnt a normal/top league though..you will gain promotion if you score enough goals..simple as that..

2014/15: Derby County 85 goals
2013/14: Derby County 84 goals, Watford 74 goals
2012/13: Watford 85 goals, Leicester City 71 goals
2011/12: Blackpool 79 goals, Birmingham 78 goals
2010/11: Leeds United 81 goals, Watford 77 goals

All of those finished as one of the top four scoring teams in the division. Not one of them got promoted. This year's Derby team (4th top scorers), last season's Watford (3rd) and 2010/11's Leeds (2nd) and Watford (joint 3rd) didn't even make the playoffs.

All the best managers in the world over the last 30 years have built teams on the foundations of a solid defence, no-one wins anything if they're leaking goals all the time. Give me a team where you can have confidence that most of the time at 1-0 up they'll see it out any day. The Leeds game this season exposes the folly of not paying attention to defending, you're way in front and in total control of the game, but defend like lemons and all your hard work can be thrown away.

I don't much care for basketball, a 0 in the goals against column is always a good thing.

The speech Mourinho gave at Chelsea's end of season dinner summed it up perfectly.

2014/15: Derby County 85 goals
2013/14: Derby County 84 goals, Watford 74 goals
2012/13: Watford 85 goals, Leicester City 71 goals
2011/12: Blackpool 79 goals, Birmingham 78 goals
2010/11: Leeds United 81 goals, Watford 77 goals

All of those finished as one of the top four scoring teams in the division. Not one of them got promoted. This year's Derby team (4th top scorers), last season's Watford (3rd) and 2010/11's Leeds (2nd) and Watford (joint 3rd) didn't even make the playoffs.

of course there are exceptions, but youre more likely to get promoted scoring lots of goals in tha championship than letting in few..at least thats what i believe

Over that same five year period, the league winners have always had one of the best three defensive records in the division. You can't have one without the other, as I say it cannot be either/or.

For reference (figures in brackets show ranking for goals scored/against in the division):

2014/15: Bournemouth (1st/2nd), Watford (2nd/5th), Norwich (3rd/3rd)
2013/14: Leicester (2nd/3rd), Burnley (4th/1st), QPR (12th/4th)
2012/13: Cardiff (3rd/2nd), Hull (14th/4th), Crystal Palace (2nd/12th)
2011/12: Reading (5th/1st), Southampton (1st/3rd), West Ham (2nd/4th)
2010/11: QPR (7th/1st), Norwich (1st/8th), Swansea (8th/2nd)

Palace are the only team over the last five seasons to go up with a seriously rickety defence. Overwhelmingly you tend to need one of the very best defensive records in the division to make it. Four of those 15 promoted teams didn't even have one of the top six attacking records.

i guess one thing go with the other as you say..if you have very good attqacking power, other teams will focus more on defence which in the long run will give you better defensive records also..

the Kevin Keegan days of you score four and we'll score five are long gone!!

if you score 3 its unlikely many teams in the championship is gonna score more than you..thats more my point tbf

Wasn't it Milwall 0 Wolves 3, and then it when tits up??? and possibly cost us the play offs (which i didn't believe we would have won) by the way

i meant if you score three in a game its unlikely anybody in the champ will score four..not with the quality at least..yeah they scored three i know

Back