• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I think the most we can expect of Hause filling in at fullback is for him to fulfil his defensive duties - which he does well - but we're lopsided when he does play because it isn't natural for him to get forward and support. I felt it was much easier for teams to double up/nullify Sako when Hause was behind him, for that reason alone really if a decent prospect on a free or Jed Wallace amount turned up Id take em because Id argue it will be far easier to double up/nullify anybody who replaces Sako.

Gayle would come as an upgrade on Dicko surely? Can't see him being #3 in the pecking order. There are plenty of reports in the press this morning about interest from Villa and QPR in Luongo and Ben Gladwin from Swindon

From the little I've seen of Dwight Gayle on TV, he seems lightweight in comparison to Nouha Dicko and has shown nothing like the energy or confidence of Nouha Dicko. We doesn't seem like an upgrade over either Benik Afobe or Nouha Dicko to me.

We are in need of a third choice striker but I wouldn't imagine that we will be paying a hefty fee/wages on one.

I think he'd be very good competition for Afobe and Dicko. There wouldn't be much to choose between the three of them and we'd boast three of the best centre forwards in the league which seems to me like a good problem to have. As Sniffer says, he wouldn't come cheap but good strikers rarely do and we'll need to spend money this summer if we're to compete at the top end of this division.

Gayle is better than Dicko I reckon. I'd take him in a heartbeat, look at what having three top strikers did for Watford this season.

I'd love Dwight Gayle here but I would imagine he'd go to another Prem team, especially if Bournemouth are interested.

I'd love Dwight Gayle here but I would imagine he'd go to another Prem team, especially if Bournemouth are interested.

You would imagine the likes of Swansea would have a look at Gayle this summer along with four or five other Premier league clubs. If Wolves are paying Afobe 9k a week thats our top price bracket for new players. Wolves have to search for the next Afobe not players who have been on a Premier league wage. What kind of money would Hooper at Norwich be on they will look to upgrade.

Rate Dicko and Afobe as better forwards but Gayle would be a good signing, and I think might suggest we would preparing to play a diamond. As with the signing of Wallace.

Tend to agree on that - but if we're playing a diamond we're going to need a seriously good DM sitting in front of the back four. Not KMac in quarterback role

You would imagine the likes of Swansea would have a look at Gayle this summer along with four or five other Premier league clubs. If Wolves are paying Afobe 9k a week thats our top price bracket for new players. Wolves have to search for the next Afobe not players who have been on a Premier league wage. What kind of money would Hooper at Norwich be on they will look to upgrade.

I personally think we will start looking to pay more wages if we're looking for the title, possibly up to 20/25k a week if the RIGHT player comes along, after getting the high earners of the books

If you're going to play a diamond then you need much more mobile players than McDonald, Price or Evans filling the two spots between the DM and the number 10. You're also entirely reliant on your full backs providing width and they tend to have a lot of work to do defensively at the same time as they don't have anyone directly in front of them to help out. I'd really rather we didn't have that as our Plan A, like any system if you have the right players it can work, but I don't think we're even close at the moment and the potential reward doesn't outweigh the potential deficit.

If we're shifting to something entirely different from what we've played previously under Jackett (which bar the odd dalliance here and there has been either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1) then we'd be more likely to go to 4-3-3 like Derby played before Martin got injured and Schteve lost his shit. I think you could have a midfield three of Wallace, McDonald and one new signing with a bit of dynamism there. He's talked of Saville being potentially suited to that shape but I really haven't seen enough of him to say either way and he's hardly made a great early impression.

My issue with that is then one of Afobe or Dicko plays as one of the 'outside forwards' which they would be less effective in and might create confusion. That said, a diamond is actually pretty similar to a 4-3-3 really.

I don't think McDonald is as immobile as people suggest either. My main concern would be, as you pointed out Dan, relying on wide play from full backs. My argument to that would be that we should be looking to play through the middle far more than we do.

West Ham had it pretty much nailed before Fat Sam reverted to type and started picking Carroll and Nolan again.

----------------------Adrian------------------------

Jenkinson-------Reid--------Tomkins-----------Cresswell

---------------------Song--------------------------

--------------Noble--------Kouyate------------------

--------------------Downing-------------------------

-------------Sakho-------Valencia--------------------

They're exactly the right kind of full backs for that system and the midfield is really well balanced as well. But why stick with a winning formula when you can wang 60 yard balls at Carroll's head and pick a fat bastard to do a less energetic version of Dave Edwards' job behind him.

Agree with DW here..goals scored is vital to earn promotion..and also to keep you in the prem

Do you honestly think his role is anything other than PR?

Do you honestly think his role is anything other than PR?
I think he's bright enough to know if Wolves can afford such players because by naming names he creature all types of conjecture.

Back