• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Whittingham is lazy journalism. The Cardiff local which broke our alleged interest in Mason had at the bottom of their article that Whittingham and one or two others were out of contract. Wild speculation.

Jem Karacan out of contract at Reading. If he's fit I wouldn't mind us signing him!

Als is Josh King out of contract at Blackburn?

Karacan is potentially one of the best central midfielders in the league. Unfortunately I think his injuries have really taken a toll on him, can't see Reading releasing him otherwise.

Speaking of injury prone centre mids, I wonder if we could convince Beram Kayal to come here from Brighton. Outstanding midfielder on his day.

He's out of contract and not agreed a new deal I think?

Kayal is a good player, but just signed for them hasn't he, so I think that would be unlikely.

I'd really like us to try and sign Chalobah

Kayal signed a 2 1/2 year deal in Jan according to wiki.

I had heard Kayal was a bit past it since leaving Celtic.

Is this the thread for who we wish to sign as well? Completely subjective viewpoint because I want to see another Aussie play for us but Jason Davidson is available for free if we want another left-back. He tore it up in the Netherlands and for Australian national team did ok at the World Cup, just never got a decent look in at the Prem. Would be a good fit going down a step to a team trying to gain promotion.

The only query from me is how big a negative effect spending a season with the Baggies will have done.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/05/25/davidson-departs-west-brom-he-chases-fresh-start

We have no need for a left back as far as I can see. Just about the last position we need to be filling.

We have no need for a left back as far as I can see. Just about the last position we need to be filling.

I don't think anyone here wants Rowe at LB anytime soon, and Hause isn't a true FB, so technically we're still only one deep at the position.

Is this the thread for who we wish to sign as well? Completely subjective viewpoint because I want to see another Aussie play for us but Jason Davidson is available for free if we want another left-back. He tore it up in the Netherlands and for Australian national team did ok at the World Cup, just never got a decent look in at the Prem. Would be a good fit going down a step to a team trying to gain promotion.

The only query from me is how big a negative effect spending a season with the Baggies will have done.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/05/25/davidson-departs-west-brom-he-chases-fresh-start

Good shout for my money, he's got ridiculous pace. Some will likely see him as a left-sided Gamboa, though.

Disagree with that. Hause isn't the answer there long term, Golbourne has a persistent injury problem and will have to adapt to not having the best winger in the division playing ahead of him. If we don't sign a left back in the summer I'd like to see O'Hanlon (sp?) given a chance in pre-season/on the bench.

Not suggesting he is the answer but free transfer cover at left back wouldn't offend me, but equally wouldn't be a priority.

While it would be nice to have someone of equal or better standing to Golbourne (I don't think Davidson falls into that category personally) - that is very much ideal world territory. I wouldn't have it down as a priority, Hause has shown he can do a more than passable job if we need a stand in, we just wouldn't want him playing there permanently and it's unlikely he'd usurp Golbourne on merit. We have much more pressing needs, we currently have a grand total of 0 left wingers in the whole squad and 0 back up strikers unless Jacobs and/or McAlinden come back into Ken's thoughts, and we also have a central midfield pairing that scored 1 goal between them in the whole of last season which is unsustainable. I'd actually say we need improved depth at right back more than left back as Doherty is completely unfit for purpose.

it's unlikely he'd usurp Golbourne on merit.

I don't think that this is that unlikely tbh. Hause is tall which KJ seems to value in a full back (see Rowe vs Golbourne/Doherty vs Ricketts) and defends just as well as Golbourne does. If he shows that he's added more of an attacking dimension to his game in pre-season I wouldn't be surprised to see Hause as the starting left back (not saying I agree with any of that, just that it might happen).

Ricketts is taller than Doherty. I'm not sure what changed in Ken's mind between the final pre-season game vs Celta and the Norwich game but something did to make him think Ricketts was no longer able to play a leading role at this level, odd as he'd played every game in pre-season where something approaching our best team was fielded. Whatever it was, it was a rushed decision - and still the wrong one IMO as it's all very well making that kind of call, but you'd better have a superior alternative lined up, and we didn't. He also changed his mind on Jacobs vs Edwards at the same time and exactly the same applies. I really don't know what could have caused both of those things as I went to the Celta game and you wouldn't say either of the ditched players had bad games. Strange. But like all managers, he does strange things sometimes.

If he really were minded to prefer Hause over Golbourne on pure footballing merit then he still wouldn't sign a left back as in his mind he'd have two players there.

How much do we know about Jamar Loza at Norwich?

If he really were minded to prefer Hause over Golbourne on pure footballing merit then he still wouldn't sign a left back as in his mind he'd have two players there.

As I said, I don't really agree with it but could easily see it happening. IMO we still need a left back unless we involve O'Hanlon more in the first team.

We certainly need a right back as well, as you say we don't want to have to be relying on Doherty if Iorfa picks up injuries/suspension. IMO the only areas where we don't need players are GK (assuming TK stays on), centre back and right wing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves offered the young full back released by West Brom Bradley Garmston trials. As a youngster he was once ranked in the top two sprinters in the UK at his age group.

Back