• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Berra was the quickest player at the club over 60 yds apparently. Problem is very few players sprint for 60 yds in a match

Seem to recall Neil Emblen being the best for that in his time as well. If he got on a run he took some stopping, but then if I chuck my wardrobe down a hill the same applies. It doesn't mean I have a speedy piece of furniture.

Berra was the quickest player at the club over 60 yds apparently. Problem is very few players sprint for 60 yds in a match

Whether it's over 5, 60 or 200 yards, I don't believe Berra was quicker than Matt Jarvis for a second. I'd love to know where this comes from, seen it brought up a few times.

It was said by Tony Daley or another member of the coaching staff in a pre season feature a few years ago. I thought it was said he was the quickest, but it could have been one of the quickest or mentioned with a couple of other players I suppose.

Whether it's over 5, 60 or 200 yards, I don't believe Berra was quicker than Matt Jarvis for a second. I'd love to know where this comes from, seen it brought up a few times.

I think it would be pretty close over a longer distance to be honest, Jarvis had freakish acceleration but don't think I ever saw him really gallop away from someone on a long run, Berra was the opposite, terrible acceleration but he eventually got himself up to an impressive speed.

Remember that running towards goal on a continual full on sprint for 60 yards as if it were a race would have you starting well before the halfway line, right up to the limits of the pitch. Which virtually never happens in a game.

Seem to recall Neil Emblen being the best for that in his time as well. If he got on a run he took some stopping, but then if I chuck my wardrobe down a hill the same applies. It doesn't mean I have a speedy piece of furniture.

:clap: :worshippy:

I do hope both Boukari and Zeli can make an impact next season, I am not especially hopeful on either though.

I agree with this. I wonder which of the 2, plus Graham are likely to be pushing for a wing spot.
I'd like to see Bancessi get a good loan to, get some proper experience.

Dw, this is easily one of your best analogies (did i get it right/been away too long) ever. You come up with some beauties, but this one put a 'Joker" smile on my face. brilliant sir!!

Pretty sure that Berra came out on top in one of the pre-season training drills that was to do with speed.

Pretty sure that Berra came out on top in one of the pre-season training drills that was to do with speed.

I remember reading that, and i seem to remember it wasn't that close a contest, but i'm old now, and the memory.............................

Deutsch has it bang on - Berra was one of the quickest over 600 metres, however that's not an attribute that's particularly useful as a footballer as you very rarely run that far in a straight line in a game.

His acceleration and ability to turn, which are staples of the game, were diabolical.

If Berra ran 600 metres straight in a game he would end up in the middle of five-ways roundabout.

He might have been able to run quickly in a race but it was Berras' positioning and speed of thought let him down at Wolves, which is the main reason his defensive headers usually went straight up in the air.

Now he has more experience his positioning has improved, and hopefully that will happen with Danny in the next few years.

The reason his headers went all over the place was because his head was a biscuit tin.

The reason his headers went all over the place was because his head was a biscuit tin.

He still does that now. Several times at Molineux his clearing headers were twice as high as they were long.

Jo idea why, but i kinda feel a decent offer will see Baath gone.

we have the back up after all.

That sounds like a proper nightmare to navigate.

Most Americans would be Alan, just a curious British quirk (not the Wolves quirk he's not that curious).

Although most Britons would struggle to get their head around traffic lights in the states and turning left when they're on red.

Driving on the left side would give me migraines for a long time, I bet.

Back