• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

yes i saw that earlier, but i think he'll have a few PL clubs ahead of us

In January, yes. Right now though, it's the Arsenal reserves, Championship or what? One of the Scandinavian leagues?

Can't see it happening though.

We may have to review our recruitment slightly because most of the premium talent is stock piled in Premier league squads. With no additional cash coming from the chairman we may have to loan good quality then build if promotion is gained by going that route.

Indeed. Read somewhere today that Chelsea have loaned out over £100million worth of footballers.

They loaned Islam Feruz to Hibs, weren't we briefly linked with him? Was a very highly thought of talent at one stage and someone I hoped to see do well for the Scottish side, however he virtually vanished at Chelsea. It was only the other day that I learned he had been out on loan last season and actually played against us! I appreciate it's probably highly paid, but why would you ever want the Chelsea academy job?

chelsea loaned out 31 players apparently....fucking ridiculous...probaly half of them meant something to one team not long ago.

Thoughts on Stearman, new striker, Iorfa, etc.

Some paper reporting our net spend was £250k. If true, it's shocking considering we have a parachute payment and a low wage bill.

They must be using the lowest values for our purchases and the maximum for the sales.

£2m for Coady
£275k for Wallace (release clause)
£1m for Byrne

£2m for Stearman.

I guess if you estimate Coady as £1m plus add-ons, then count Stears as £2.5m as reported in some places then the net spend comes in at £275k.

Though I doubt our three loans cost absolutely nothing other than wages. Surely small fees for each of them.

It's not what you spend, it's how you spend it. Kightly cost 0.002% of what we paid for Greg Halford. We could have offered Swindon another £2m on top for Nathan Byrne but I'm not sure why we would. I'd rather have Le Fondre for the negligible (if any) loan fee we have paid than spent the kind of money it would have taken to get Wood, Vossen, Forestieri etc.

That's wages at May 14, so will include Sako. It will be 18 months before we see what our wage bill is now.

I would think the ticket receipts alone would cover the current wage bill (approx £15.5m) and not including matchday ancillary sales or sponsorship. I would say the club breaks even and would not require external investment to stay where it is. Of course this means ire from the fans as there is no additional/ external investment to grow and in football growth is measured by promotion. Any growth in any business requires investment. Seems Mr Morgan is going to struggle to achieve his CEO's lofty PR goal of promotion.

I would think the ticket receipts alone would cover the current wage bill (approx £15.5m) and not including matchday ancillary sales or sponsorship. I would say the club breaks even and would not require external investment to stay where it is. Of course this means ire from the fans as there is no additional/ external investment to grow and in football growth is measured by promotion. Any growth in any business requires investment. Seems Mr Morgan is going to struggle to achieve his CEO's lofty PR goal of promotion.

At the seasons end if Wolves were still a Championship side would the potential transfer fee for Benik Afobe be given in full to Kenny Jackett to upgrade the side?

At the seasons end if Wolves were still a Championship side would the potential transfer fee for Benik Afobe be given in full to Kenny Jackett to upgrade the side?

I think if we are midtable in January and Afobe has 10 goals we will lose him then and I don't think the money would be reinvested at that point, it would be a waste as nothing could be achieved that season. Any PL club that is safe at the Jan point will want to pick Afobe up so they can integrate him for the following season.

I would see no reason as to why Afobe's money would not be added to the transfer budget for the 2016/17 season though as is the current model.

Agreed. Although Morgan looks like he won't invest his own money in the playing staff, I also don't think he's out to make a profit, so would expect him to reinvest, however I'd expect it to be invested across the whole package not fee for fee. i.e. Purchase price signing on fee, agents fee and wages. So, fans that expect £0 net spend may be disappointed.

Back