• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Hasnt dropped any this season as far as I can tell. He's been our most consistent player since Blackburn.

He's signed for Fulham - that's a major clanger!

I think we've done ok in the transfer window, the problem is we have lost the wave of optimism built up over the last 2 seasons and this is a combination of not getting in a known left winger and a poor start.

As an aside Afobe should never be a loan striker - he likes to drop deep and this compresses our game leaving us with no threat up top. It's not all about service but about playing to his best qualities and therefore he needs a strike partner to stretch defenders for him.

Phew thank god thats over. Not going to dwell on yesterday and want to get behind us now for the rest of the season. Looking forward to Danny Beckinbatth getting fit and back in the line up and home both keepers have got their errors out early. The midfield whilst untested at this level in some cases does have a lot of promise. I agree ALF as a goalscorer could be an astute loan signing. Lots hanging on Afobe now. Captain?
I think that there will be games especially away from home when a fast hungry young 4-5-1 will take 3 points. There will be games at home when we have lots of possession and create little or are stiffled and that will be the tester for the crowd. We are not the most patient home fans are we. Couple that with errors that cost goals and we can get on players backs. If they are young it may be very harsh. The reality is that there is lots of potential in thios squad and the manager clearly has faith in the youth which is refreshing. I do think he has been stitched a bit by the board with regard to transfer funds- we have been too tight and could have spent more but didnt- but in KJ we do have an excellent manager. Its onwards and upwards for me now. Gayle here on loan would be great as would a decent Centre half to compliment the exisiting but I said that before Stearman went. I like many on here thought we were goiung to spend more and had more to spend. Obviously not. In which case I will cut my future expectations accordingly. Good debate though guys! Keep it up

He's signed for Fulham - that's a major clanger!

I think we've done ok in the transfer window, the problem is we have lost the wave of optimism built up over the last 2 seasons and this is a combination of not getting in a known left winger and a poor start.

As an aside Afobe should never be a loan striker - he likes to drop deep and this compresses our game leaving us with no threat up top. It's not all about service but about playing to his best qualities and therefore he needs a strike partner to stretch defenders for him.

Play him behind ALF and get another in on loan is the answer. Benik likes to be involved

I'm probably - no definitely - in the minority, but I don't think we've had an absolute disaster of a transfer window. In my mind we've added some excellent young players who were being courted by a host of other Championship clubs (Wallace, Byrne) and brought in an experienced frontman (ALF) who scored a bag load for Reading in this league and the league above, whose only career anomaly was at Vincent Tan's Welsh circus. Conor Coady, admittedly, I didn't know much about.

Dicko's injury was very untimely, and any mad dash to get a striker in at the last minute - especially when clubs know we're desperate - will naturally lead to hiked prices.

I don't think Wolves have made a mistake in terms of who they've brought in, but they have made a mistake by coming out into the press and saying promotion is the aim and, when Sako left, Moxey said Wolves would spend the cash to bring in a suitable replacement which - from what we're all assuming at the moment - neither Wallace nor Byrne are that player. We would have been better served keeping our mouths shut and getting on with it. I for one think we have some excellent young players, complemented by experience such as ALF and Edwards who are players who have been there and done it. The "young and hungry" route is a very dangerous game to play when our "top end" players like Afobe are already attracting £10m bids from the big boys, but it will be exciting to see how the likes of Coady, Wallace et al develop.

I honestly don't see how this team is any worse than the one Mick McCarthy took us up with. It's a different manager intending to employ an entirely different system to the 4-4-2 and flying wingers we had back then. If anything, unlike Mick's 08/09 squad, it's not as swollen with rubbish.

It's impossible to say whether ojo, byrne and wallace is good business. They have no pedigree at this level; sometimes players are able to step up, sometimes they're not. Sometimes players surprise you with their ability to perform at a higher level, sometimes players surprise you by being unable to.

I don't believe that the club has given itself the best opportunity possible to bridge the gap between 'just missing out' and 'making the playoffs'. There are three gambles behind afobe. Clearly all player recruitment is a risk, but I believe that risk could be somewhat mitigated by looking at players with a record of success at a higher level, given the financial gains we've made in the last three windows in terms of wage bill reduction, and the fact we are debt free with a wealthy owner, and have an income comparable to most of our peers.

And jez really needs to learn to shut his mouth where player investment is concerned. He's got a long history of raising expectation to a level that either the recruitment team can't achieve, or the club won't sanction.

We may have to review our recruitment slightly because most of the premium talent is stock piled in Premier league squads. With no additional cash coming from the chairman we may have to loan good quality then build if promotion is gained by going that route.

Wolves' fans expectations have always been high - nothing wrong with that - and our shopping has usually been done at M & S and Waitrose, but it seems now that Morgan is insisting on going to Lidl for bargains. ?This is not to say he's wrong, but we could be staying in the Championship for quite a long time.

What are these clangers?

Ok, tired after a long day so I could of put "he is still prone to errors" on the showing of the last few seasons. He made mistakes in League One, he made some mistakes last season, he has been better "since Blackburn".
He isn't Paolo Maldini and he isn't irreplaceable...This coming from someone who did vote for him as PotS last year.
I also don't get the "we've lost the three players who were top three for PotS from last year!".... Sako was always going and we knew that, Dicko has suffered an injury which is hardly Wolves fault and we have chosen to sell Stearman to allow the development of players from the academy. Wolves have invested a lot of money into the academy so that we can be, sort of, self sufficient while bringing in players who fit our new direction of targets. If that means we aren't going to spaff millions of pounds on near to retirment ex Premier League players just after a final payday, then so be it.

We may have to review our recruitment slightly because most of the premium talent is stock piled in Premier league squads. With no additional cash coming from the chairman we may have to loan good quality then build if promotion is gained by going that route.

No problem with this direction either. There are plenty of good, young, talented players who will never break through at the "big clubs", we just need to be able to persuade them that we can offer what they want most...A chance to play in the top division

We were, arguably, last a big Club in the late fifties, we had a brief resurgence in the seventies & 1980, while there is absoulutely nothing wrong with expectation the generation that enjoyed Wolves being the best in England/Europe are becoming less and less.
The expectation needs to match what we are then maybe the nonsense that has been spouted on forums during the last few days might, one day, come to embrace the reality.

No need to worry about us signing Burnley striker Lukas Jutkiewicz on loan. He has borked his knee and is out for good few months

To me and thousands of fans, not just Wolves fans, we are a big club. Of course a Wolves fan can say they aren't, if that's what they believe.
Someone posted earlier, history means nothing, I don't agree with that. History doesn't mean you are entitled to be in the PL, but it does mean that we expect so much more from our club. To be a founding member of the football league, score the first penalty and first goal( I don't believe the new theory that we didn't, suddenly found a 120 years later). To be the pioneers of European football, does mean a fucking lot. To have the first player to win a 100 caps for his country, does mean a lot. There is a lot more, as you know.

To me and thousands of supporters, our history gives us a special place in football. The colour of our shirt, the Molineux, it means everything.

I am sick of Moxey and his lies, using our loyality and love of our club, to turn us over and he often blames us, when he breaks his promises.

Will he ever stop me or my kids or the majority of Wolves fans, loving our club, no he won't, but I won't gloat and say a good transfer window, or Stearman was awful, DB is suddenly Maldini and we didn't sell him to buy the new player from Swindon.

To me Moxey uses our history and passion against us, he mugs us off, time after time and then lies about it. We won't go forward, while he is here.

Moxey seems caught between Morgan and the fans.

It's clear what Morgan view on Wolves is, he has said it enough but Jezzer doesn't seem to think the fans will accept/understand his vision so spurts out fan loved clichés of spending.

With Morgan wanting to build a team from the Academy plus highly rated young players, Jez and his poor grasp of PR just winds up the fans he is trying to please.

Indeed, which is why I think Morgan is the wrong man for Wolves and Moxey hasn't been right for a few years. Morgan is building a long term asset to sell under sound financial principals and a plan but this plan would take years to get to and football isn't built on long term plans, more short term (up to 3 years) fixes.

Look how quickly things can change from solidity to in the wilderness and the revenue drops this takes. It is a unique business in this sense. I don't think normal rules apply and I don't think Morgan will sell an asset without at least getting 4 x his outlay back. It's not in his business nature and Wolves just aren't worth that unless they reach the PL and the strategy to reach there is low on risk and probability. I would suggest he is reasonably happy with where Wolves are and the plan to get there and it will not bother him if Wolves stay in the Championship but does aim for the PL. He will not lose as Wolves are an asset. As long as the hope is there from the fans that the club will do well (and most of the fans are hopeful) and that is managed I think Morgan will be happy.

I am fairly sure if he was to offer between 4 and 8 times his investment he would sell immediately. It's simply a business decision.

I am surprised he has not changed his CEO though as normally 15 years in one position is too long at board level and pretty rare in any business.

Moxey seems caught between Morgan and the fans.

It's clear what Morgan view on Wolves is, he has said it enough but Jezzer doesn't seem to think the fans will accept/understand his vision so spurts out fan loved clichés of spending.

With Morgan wanting to build a team from the Academy plus highly rated young players, Jez and his poor grasp of PR just winds up the fans he is trying to please.

I dont think thats the case at all. I dont think Wolves say anything these days without first discussing it at length behind the scenes. Watch the 'Build up to xxxxxx away' clips on youtube. The interviews with KJ are clearly scripted ahead of time. I very much doubt that we dont put the same level of preparation into Morgan/Moxey's end of season statements.

Either priorities have changed since then or we've failed to land our main targets.

We have to accept that our 'main targets' may sometimes wish to join someone else and who Knows, Stearman may have fancied a move to Fulham in the belief they might have more chance of success.
I accept that might be down to Morgan & Moxey.

No need to worry about us signing Burnley striker Lukas Jutkiewicz on loan. He has borked his knee and is out for good few months

Turns out Borked = Cruciate

Just reading that Joel Campbell is back in the Arsenal squad after being on loan at Villareal. He'd do quite nicely as a loan signing.

Just reading that Joel Campbell is back in the Arsenal squad after being on loan at Villareal. He'd do quite nicely as a loan signing.

yes i saw that earlier, but i think he'll have a few PL clubs ahead of us

Back