• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Even if you aren't happy about the transfers so far, there's still the loan window. I think we'll be fine.

I really can't understand why some fans are having a meltdown about the window though. It's been satisfactory IMO.

I have no issue with the business we have done. In fact the people moaning about us not replacing is quite laughable that they think a Championship side could replace a player of the quality of Sako.

What has really disappointed me is the fact that Morgan has proved he has no interest in investing in the club, which means the best we can have is a relegation battle in the PL whilst he is in charge.

Name the last decent emergency loan player we got?
History guarantees nothing.

Just like when people say "x team hasn't beat us since yadda yadda years ago so they won't now". It's nonsense and it really grinds my gears.

For now, I have faith in our recruitment. Coady, Ojo, etc look good business.

Just like when people say "x team hasn't beat us since yadda yadda years ago so they won't now". It's nonsense and it really grinds my gears.

For now, I have faith in our recruitment. Coady, Ojo, etc look good business.

What have you seen in Ojo so far that makes you think he's good business?

This is still how I feel. If Kenny had said "offer too good to turn down, great young defenders are the future of the club etc" then I'd have trusted his judgement, but he clearly linked the sale of Stearman to providing funds for what became the £1m for Byrne. That the Board couldn't find this when we'd spent relatively little this window I think is letting both Kenny and the fans down. That's what pisses me off, not the sale of Stearman per se. For those that say we shouldn't expect them to invest then Moxey should keep his bloody gob shut then shouldn't he because it's him that clearly said at the end of last season that they would. I don't think a net transfer spend of £1-£1.5m demonstrates this.

I think this is where I am too. Without coming across as Morgan bashing, I hope he is looking to sell the club if he has no interest in investing or providing resource to progress. I have no doubt he wants to be in the PL but I'm not sure he wants to make the necessary investment to do this.

Reports on him have been generally good, if rough around the edges, and he was a brighter patch against Cardiff.

Maybe wages are the issue. If you sold Sako for £5m and brought in two players on £2.5m then you'll probably doubling your wages.

Same with Afobe. If you sold him for £15m and brought in 5 players, your wage bill will probably go up 5x.

Wages could perhaps be an issue but you'd be shipping off other player as well as the ones you've made big money on, you wouldn't always be bringing in more numbers than you were shipping out.

Say if Sako had been sold last summer, you'd have bought in a decent transfer fee and ditched some pretty hefty wages for Wolves' level, you could perhaps then have gone and signed a new left winger to replace him and say a new forward too, as Clarke was 2nd choice at the time. That would free you up to ditch Clarke at that point without leaving you reliant on kids or loans so in the end you've made money on Sako to re-invest but you've not added any extra numbers to the wage bill because you've ditched as many players as you've signed.

If there's no immediate to reinvest that money in playing staff then there's no harm in keeping yourself a cash surplus or investing elsewhere in the club, that stadium redevelopment could be finished off, or investing in some younger players for years to come. Just seems a bit odd focusing on bringing in players who's value will rise without having one eye on potentially selling them should the right offer come along and you've got the ability/need to use that money elsewhere.

I agree with Alan here.

I was on holiday so didn't see the Cardiff game, which from what I read was a blessing, but reports on here were that Afobe looked isolated playing on his own up top. Do you think he can do it?

I don't think the problem in that game was Afobe. Edwards even when playing at his best, disappears within game and is not a presence/influence, while Ojo and van la Parra didn't get anywhere near enough to him. If we give him service, he will score goals.

What have you seen that makes you think he isn't? I think he has started brightly. Still raw, no doubt, but I have seen some promising moments.

I don't think the problem in that game was Afobe. Edwards even when playing at his best, disappears within game and is not a presence/influence, while Ojo and van la Parra didn't get anywhere near enough to him. If we give him service, he will score goals.
Ojo and VlP were playing too deep and Edwards stayed so high that Coady and McDonald had no outlets.

Reports on him have been generally good, if rough around the edges, and he was a brighter patch against Cardiff.

Reports are wrong. He's been pretty dire other than a few decent crosses.

What have you seen that makes you think he isn't? I think he has started brightly. Still raw, no doubt, but I have seen some promising moments.

Can't take on his man for starters, which for a winger with pace is probably a big floor.

Back