• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I have no issue with the business we have done. In fact the people moaning about us not replacing is quite laughable that they think a Championship side could replace a player of the quality of Sako.

I don't think anybody has said they wanted a player as good as Sako, but finding a LW who can compete at Championship level as a minimum was what was expected. As TT has said, the club have shot themselves in the foot with silly PR statements from a CEO past his sell-by date.

Ojo hasn't been anything special. Early days yet though.

I suppose it hasn't been mentioned tells its own story on peoples views, but do we have a recall clause on MacAlinden?

I agree with Penk. Only a few decent crosses to show for himself so far.

I'm hoping that a bit of confidence will see him take on defenders using his pace a bit more.

After three games people were doubting Afobe elsewhere. They now get pilloried for that. Give him a bloody chance for christs sake.

I've seen very little of Ojo so far, a couple of sub appearances I said to a Liverpool fan at work today who asked about him, from what I have seen you can see why he has got so far at schoolboy / age football; big, strong and quick the attributes that will get you through at that level of football. At the moment his decision making isn't all it could be as on occasions he doesn't know when to take his man on or when to lay it off. Got a good assist on Saturday and I'd start him at Bolton. We've been spoilt on the left for the last 6 seasons with Jarvis and Sako, big shoes to fill

After three games people were doubting Afobe elsewhere. They now get pilloried for that. Give him a bloody chance for christs sake.

Nobody hasn't given him a chance I don't think. Just arguing against saying he has been good.

I think people have short memories as lots of folk were saying Sako was terrible through his first season. Ojo needs to be given a chance.

He's got two assists and one goal. That's impressive.

Should have more assists as well if you look back at the Cardiff game, Edwards and Hause should both have scored from his crosses. I've been impressed with Ojo from what i have seen especially from a young lad, he's another that i think will get better as the season goes on.

It's impossible to say whether ojo, byrne and wallace is good business. They have no pedigree at this level; sometimes players are able to step up, sometimes they're not. Sometimes players surprise you with their ability to perform at a higher level, sometimes players surprise you by being unable to.

I don't believe that the club has given itself the best opportunity possible to bridge the gap between 'just missing out' and 'making the playoffs'. There are three gambles behind afobe. Clearly all player recruitment is a risk, but I believe that risk could be somewhat mitigated by looking at players with a record of success at a higher level, given the financial gains we've made in the last three windows in terms of wage bill reduction, and the fact we are debt free with a wealthy owner, and have an income comparable to most of our peers.

And jez really needs to learn to shut his mouth where player investment is concerned. He's got a long history of raising expectation to a level that either the recruitment team can't achieve, or the club won't sanction.

Holy shit! It's taken me two hours to catch up with this and I wish I was still in Italy!
Will comment more tomorrow but I'm torn on the Stearman sale. Yes he's had a good last two seasons but he just can't stop dropping clangers. It might just be time for the academy lads to step up

I don't believe that the club has given itself the best opportunity possible to bridge the gap between 'just missing out' and 'making the playoffs'. There are three gambles behind afobe. Clearly all player recruitment is a risk, but I believe that risk could be somewhat mitigated by looking at players with a record of success at a higher level, given the financial gains we've made in the last three windows in terms of wage bill reduction, and the fact we are debt free with a wealthy owner, and have an income comparable to most of our peers..

I think that it is very, very difficult to attract the sort of player that you are referring to and avoid the one last pay cheque syndrome. For every Jody Craddock out there are scores of Roger Johnsons and Darren Andertons. I'm sure Deustch can reel off a comprehensive list.

I suspect the only reason that we were able to sign Bakary Sako was because he saw Wolves as a stepping stone to the PL.

Holy shit! It's taken me two hours to catch up with this and I wish I was still in Italy!
Will comment more tomorrow but I'm torn on the Stearman sale. Yes he's had a good last two seasons but he just can't stop dropping clangers. It might just be time for the academy lads to step up

What are these clangers?

Back