• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Why the need to compare things to the past all of the time? Move on man, it's 2015.

Tim II has been shit today. He has spent most of his day tweeting random players names. No actual link or even a rumour just kicking out names. Been tweeting as a fan and not an actual journalist.

He will know the moment he mentions a name some will take it as a FACKT we were after them.
I don't believe he's tweeting info, just rumours he's reading on various forums.
Scattergun approach. Looks poor, but mention enough names & one might stick.

Seriously, I cannot compare now with then. This is piss poor! I support The Wolves now, as much as I did in '67, but there is a lack of ambition and an acceptance of mediocracy which I find hard to accept.

You do realise football has moved on in the last 48 years?

Seriously, I cannot compare now with then. This is piss poor! I support The Wolves now, as much as I did in '67, but there is a lack of ambition and an acceptance of mediocracy which I find hard to accept.

Totally different eras from then to now. Was it all about money in 67?

I do think Morgan has let us down in this transfer window, but also think that Moxey, Thelwell and Jackett have done a reasonable job of assembling a decent side with the lack of funds at their disposal.

The mind boggles , it really does, reading some of the posters on here simply leaves me gobsmacked.

If Dicko's injury wasn't a serious one, we wouldn't be running around looking for a striker, and the Byrne signing would have been icing on a not too badly constructed cake.

Wolves v Honved/ Spartak; Wolves v Blackburn Rovers ( FA Cup), Wolves 5 - Arsenal 1; Wolves 2 - Manchester City 1 (League Cup) - oh yes, we went from the First Division to the Third Division (again) and back up to the Second Division. Great! Call that acceptable for a great club like The Wolves? How low we have sunk, yet still I support them. Supporting The Wolves doesn't mean I cannot be critical. I love my football club and I could support no other club, but I would dearly love to see us 'up there' where we surely belong before I die.

Who says you can't be critical? However you're making ridiculous comparisons of zero value, akin to me slating Afobe if he doesn't score 50 goals this season. After all Bully managed it the first year I started going.

Wolves v Honved/ Spartak; Wolves v Blackburn Rovers ( FA Cup), Wolves 5 - Arsenal 1; Wolves 2 - Manchester City 1 (League Cup) - oh yes, we went from the First Division to the Third Division (again) and back up to the Second Division. Great! Call that acceptable for a great club like The Wolves? How low we have sunk, yet still I support them. Supporting The Wolves doesn't mean I cannot be critical. I love my football club and I could support no other club, but I would dearly love to see us 'up there' where we surely belong before I die.
I'm sure everyone would agree with wanting to see them up there, but saying they lack ambition is a completely different (and unfounded) thing entirely.

Totally different eras from then to now. Was it all about money in 67?

I do think Morgan has let us down in this transfer window, but also think that Moxey, Thelwell and Jackett have done a reasonable job of assembling a decent side with the lack of funds at their disposal.

Has Morgan pulled the plug then? Looking at it we are roughly £1m spent this window aren't we? Not quite the money (or player) promised to replace Sako as our esteemed CEO said*.

*Not having a moan at the business done to date before anybody climbs onto their moral high ground.

Steve, that win against Arsenal was probably the best performance I have ever seen from a Wolves team. Arsenal were reigning champions, and we took them to pieces.

Sorry to go off thread Gents.

Perhaps money wasn't the problem (well, within reason) and it was a lack of player availability?

Has Morgan pulled the plug then? Looking at it we are roughly £1m spent this window aren't we? Not quite the money (or player) promised to replace Sako as our esteemed CEO said*.

*Not having a moan at the business done to date before anybody climbs onto their moral high ground.

This is where I am.

1) With the departures of Doyle, O'Hara, Johnson, Foley, Sako, Margreitter, Ricketts, Clarke, Kuszczak, Cassidy and assorted kids from a year or so ago - I expected us to make more of an attempt to use that money freed up from the wage bill to give us 3-4 high profile (for this level) acquisitions and give ourselves a really good chance at winning this league. This hasn't happened and we've ended up selling Stearman - which on a footballing level, I don't care about - to at least part fund signing someone else. All seems odd and might well end up being a bit of a missed opportunity. However I nor anyone else can definitively say what we have or haven't tried to do.

2) As per my post on the last page, the profile of our signings pretty much fits where most people would have identified a need to strengthen and at least a couple of them are already looking like very smart buys. So this has been far from a disaster.

3) If you're going to have a policy of signing young players and bringing through your own Academy graduates, you do have to use them at some point. Unless you are Chelsea or Man City and just pay lip service to it. The manager considers several of the young players already at the club ready to make the step up and play a meaningful part, I'm never going to dissuade someone from doing that. And why spend money if you don't think the players knocking around are better than what you own.

Christ, the common sense from Deutsch and Paddington in the last few pages sticks out like a sore thumb.

Can someone post a reasonable argument as to why the above post is wrong please? There hasn't been one yet and I sure as hell can't think of one.

Easy - it does not mention the total lack of any experienced central defenders

I'm sure there are, but it looks like there are none which could suitably replace Sako that we wanted to spend money on as our CEO said in a blinding PR statement.

Fixed for you.

Or we just had piss poor recruitment. Either way we are where we are and I do like the sound of a front 4 of Afobe, ALF, Wallace and Byrne (even though I've never seen him play) with Ojo and Henry to back them up.

Danny Batth has played over 150 senior games. How many more does he need to be considered experienced in your eyes?

How are Ebanks-Landell and Hause ever going to become experienced if we never play them? As I've said, the former is too old now to just be a promising player, he'll be 23 before Christmas. It's now or never for him at this level and the manager obviously trusts him. You can't just loan them out forever, it causes players to stagnate - look at the career progression of Josh McEachran or Nathaniel Chalobah. Or even the way Sam Vokes went for years.

Also when on earth was Richard Stearman lauded for his experience and leadership? He still makes the same errors as he did when we signed him when he was 21.

Danny Batth - nearly 200 league appearances and over 100 with Wolves. Is that not experienced enough for you?

Edit - Ninja'd

Back