• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Facts, the top 3 players of the season last year, Sako, Stearman and Dicko(injured) have been replaced by 3 div 1 players and and an 18 year, from Liverpool, with hardly any experience.

I support Wolverhampton Wanderers, not that nasty cunt Moxey or Morgan. The only time I have critisized the board on this forum, is for selling our most experienced defender and recent captain and player of the year, to raise money to buy a player in another position. That is hardly pant wetting.
Wake up and smell the grass.

It is you who needs to wake up and stop flinging insults round. You comments about Moxey and Morgan are well beyond acceptable boundaries.

I don't follow. We don't have any intention of replacing Stearman like for like as we're happy with what we've got there. Van La Parra has been replaced by Byrne and if he stays it's as third/fourth choice striker, at least until we loan someone else. Looks like it's his decision not to leave rather than us cancelling the deal anyway.

*If* we've been throwing bids around today then it's to try to replace Dicko, if he hadn't snapped then we wouldn't be trying to buy a striker today.

The bid we accepted for van La Parra cant have been much less than the Byrne fee. If Byrne was the only target there would be no need to sell stearman as well. We were clearly expecting to do more business than just Byrne even before the Dicko injury.

I don't follow. We don't have any intention of replacing Stearman like for like as we're happy with what we've got there. Van La Parra has been replaced by Byrne and if he stays it's as third/fourth choice striker, at least until we loan someone else. Looks like it's his decision not to leave rather than us cancelling the deal anyway.

*If* we've been throwing bids around today then it's to try to replace Dicko, if he hadn't snapped then we wouldn't be trying to buy a striker today.

The bid we accepted for van La Parra cant have been much less than the Byrne fee. If Byrne was the only target there would be no need to sell stearman as well. We were clearly expecting to do more business than just Byrne even before the Dicko injury.

Just got in after a day out with my kids. Read through as much of twitter as I can stand and then I've gone through this thread.

Delighted about Byrne signing - an excellent acquisition. Disappointed to see Stears leave but I really am finding it hard to disagree with the common sense posted by Deutsch on this subject.

Overall, I think this window has been quite good. Not outstanding, but we've done plenty of sensible pieces of business as well as fended off bids for our best - and irreplaceable - players. Richard Stearman was a good servant for us and I wish him all the best at Fulham but he's far from irreplaceable.

It seems to be the norm on deadline day for people to foam at the mouth and spout all manner of rambling nonsense but really - today hasn't been anywhere NEAR as bad as is being making out in some places.

If we sell Afobe, McDonald, Iorfa and Price in the next 27 minutes, I'll empty some Fairy Liquid into my mouth and join the foamy gob club. I think my washing up is safe though.

I think we accepted a bid for Van La Parra on the basis that he isn't very good and isn't likely to get in our team very often. I don't think it's a question of selling him to fund anything else, he's just unwanted.

Two are necessities (ALF, Wallace/ Ojo) and none are as good as the players they have replaced. One is a replacement for a player that didn't really need upgrading (Coady) and three are unproven at this level (Ojo, Wallace and Byrne). Hardly a stellar window when we have lost two of the best players in the division (although not through our own doing).

I think you are premature in your classification of this window as 'good' let alone outstanding. But then you're just on the wind up really.

Poor English on my part, should have read "good, not outstanding." Otherwise I think the acquisitions of Coady, Wallace and ALF are good , whether they are necessary is irrelevant - they were made. Don't know enough about Byrne but reports are encouraging and the keeper is no worse than the pole. Ojo is no replacement for Sako but not ready to write him off just yet.

But I am just on a wind up.

It is you who needs to wake up and stop flinging insults round. You comments about Moxey and Morgan are well beyond acceptable boundaries.

Moxey and Morgan are showing zero ambition for the club I love. I loved Wolves before they came and I will love them when they have gone.
How anyone can defend their total lack of ambition for Wolves is beyond me.

I think we accepted a bid for Van La Parra on the basis that he isn't very good and isn't likely to get in our team very often. I don't think it's a question of selling him to fund anything else, he's just unwanted.

Even if that was the case at the very least the vlp money mustve been 400-500k. There wouldve been no need to sell Stearman on top of that just for Byrne.

Moxey and Morgan are showing zero ambition for the club I love. I loved Wolves before they came and I will love them when they have gone.

Maybe you are within your rights to feel that way - but you can't call them "nasty cunts". Absolutely out of bloody order

How exactly would they have shown ambition this window? Who should they have bought and why?

Poor English on my part, should have read "good, not outstanding." Otherwise I think the acquisitions of Coady, Wallace and ALF are good , whether they are necessary is irrelevant - they were made. Don't know enough about Byrne but reports are encouraging and the keeper is no worse than the pole. Ojo is no replacement for Sako but not ready to write him off just yet.

But I am just on a wind up.

Can't disagree with any of that. I think it may be working...

Even if that was the case at the very least the vlp money mustve been 400-500k. There wouldve been no need to sell Stearman on top of that just for Byrne.

I don't quite get the "sell Stearman to fund X" thing, that doesn't add up to me. I'm not sure why we portrayed it that way, just say we're moving him on for footballing reasons and leave it at that.

Let's assume we knew we were likely to sign Byrne before the weekend - Van La Parra was struggling to get in the team anyway, can't hold off the fairly mild challenge of Henry for that spot, has had enough opportunities and never takes them - I just think the manager has had enough of him. Little sense in keeping someone who's well down the pecking order in every position he plays. If someone put in a £300k bid for Tommy Rowe I'm sure we'd accept it, it wouldn't be anything to do with needing the money for something else.

Morgan and Moxey's job isn't to show ambition, there job is to run the football club. Spending 1.75 million on a holding midfielder isn't an attacking ambition, but it shows an ambition to better as a football team. They aren't ambitious because we aren't willing to piss every penny we have done some premiership rabbit hole.

6 first team players in this window. Afobe looks like he is staying. Good, if not outstanding, transfer window.

Kinda thinking that myself! *fingers crossed*

As for Stears, thanks and good luck, but I am confident Hause and EEl are almost at his level anyway minus the experience, so not a total disaster losing him

How exactly would they have shown ambition this window? Who should they have bought and why?

They shouldn't have sold Stearman with DB still injured. They had over a year to replace Sako. While other teams who want to get promoted are spending millions on experienced proven players, we are scraping div 1, to see if we can buy someone cheap, who becomes worth his weight in gold.
Of course I am happy, we are using our young players, but at the moment, it stinks that we are doing things on the cheap and showing no ambition. That to me, is taking Wolves fans for a ride.

Afobe was playing in League 1.

What do you want then? Premier League players at huge outlay on long contracts? Because that has worked spiffingly lately.

They shouldn't have sold Stearman with DB still injured. They had over a year to replace Sako. While other teams who want to get promoted are spending millions on experienced proven players, we are scraping div 1, to see if we can buy someone cheap, who becomes worth his weight in gold.
Of course I am happy, we are using our young players, but at the moment, it stinks that we are doing things on the cheap and showing no ambition. That to me, is taking Wolves fans for a ride.

Yes, because developing your own players costs nothing.

What would you have wanted NWW?

Genuine question as I don't think that we have had a particularly brilliant window either.

Selling our best defender is frankly pathetic. That's not the sign of a promotion winning team.
I fear we have a long hard season of
Mediocrity ahead.

I'm happy with the numbers and we look strong in certain areas. I still worry about the lack of experience and nous in key areas.

Barmy. Thing is, not one of us know WHO to blame for that.

Back