• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

While I'm surprised that Stearman is being sold, what does it do to the morale of the team? If the captain and player of last season is sold.

Probably nothing. Players coming and going is a normal part of football. MM was criticised for relying on the same players for too long, KJ is being criticised for trying to refresh the squad. We already know he can be pretty ruthless and it worked so I think he has earned the right to be judged after he has got the squad of players he wants not during the process.

If we get to Christmas and it is clear he got it wrong that is the appropriate time to judge him.

Probably nothing. Players coming and going is a normal part of football. MM was criticised for relying on the same players for too long, KJ is being criticised for trying to refresh the squad. We already know he can be pretty ruthless and it worked so I think he has earned the right to be judged after he has got the squad of players he wants not during the process.

If we get to Christmas and it is clear he got it wrong that is the appropriate time to judge him.

I think its the mixed messages that cause confusion. No ones leaving , no more business , no first teamers to be sold blah blah on 17th August and a fortnight later RVLP intalks Stearman bid accepted and it gets us scratching our heads. I am hopeful of some incomings before the end of the transfer window now and will reserve any rants until after 1st September. Its just a bit unsettling. We have had bad experiences before and dont want them repeated so sorry if we err on the side of caution on this!

It does seem that (not that throwing money at a problem is the answer and not that I fully understand the financial fair play rules) other teams are spending a lot of money trying to better their teams. Have Wolves really improved since may?

Fair enough if you give to Xmas, that's your prerogative. I think 12 game blocks of judgement are plenty.

What makes you think KJ is refreshing the squad when we have Dave Edwards permanently in the midfield and Doherty in the squad still even though both are unlikely to get the club promoted and clearly need replacing?

What makes you think KJ is making any decisions on players sold or brought in?

Yes he does, no club with aspirations for promotion and competing in the PL would have Dave Edwards in its team. Nice guy, mediocre footballer. No room for sentiment.

He's a perfectly acceptable Championship player. He's scored two and made two. Not too shabby IMO

Dave Edwards has his flaws, but based on the season so far id have him in the team ahead of McDonald at the moment.

Edwards could've had 5 or 6 if he had any composure at all. No problem with him in the squad but Ill be happy when Wallace stakes his claim and we (hopefully) spend the Stearman money on another attacking mid/winger.

If you want to continue unbalancing your team, affecting your style of play, making us easy to defend against and taking a lot of tempo out of the game then keep picking Edwards to play wide. The good stuff he did on Saturday was after he moved to the middle. Personally, I would like us to have better in there, but that and behind the striker is where he can be effective.

I think its the mixed messages that cause confusion. No ones leaving , no more business , no first teamers to be sold blah blah on 17th August and a fortnight later RVLP intalks Stearman bid accepted and it gets us scratching our heads. I am hopeful of some incomings before the end of the transfer window now and will reserve any rants until after 1st September. Its just a bit unsettling. We have had bad experiences before and dont want them repeated so sorry if we err on the side of caution on this!

Agreed. From not selling anyone, we are now willing to let two players leave so close to the transfer window. This is not pant wetting or panicking, it is genuine confusion as to what has changed in just two weeks.

The only comment from the club was no 1st team forwards would be sold. There has never been any statement that nobody would be sold. This is what happens when fact and fiction are mixed.

The only comment from the club was no 1st team forwards would be sold. There has never been any statement that nobody would be sold. This is what happens when fact and fiction are mixed.

Absolutely, the statement was very specific. The forward players would not be leaving. stears isn't a forward so there was no commitment there. If kenny feels the deal is a good one and allows us to strengthen (in his view) then he's within his rights to make it happen.

I think even with the position-specific comments some - I did - would've assumed McDonald. I think Stearman leaving this way was left field and caught us all cold.

If Kenny has until Christmas to see if this works out then we're essentially sacrificing promotion this year if it doesn't and promotion becomes so much harder with the new Sky deal looming. We didn't need to throw money at it, but a couple of signings of intent in key areas and this year was our Oyster so to speak. It's not a write off by any means but I do think we're a stride or two short of where we should be.

Yes he does, no club with aspirations for promotion and competing in the PL would have Dave Edwards in its team. Nice guy, mediocre footballer. No room for sentiment.

Although he does have his limitations that have been well document, he's already been part of a team that got promoted from this league. Upgrading would be need IF we got promoted, but he's fine at this level. Doherty is fine at this level too.

Nixon has said we have bid for Nathan Byrne from Swindon. The extent of my knowledge is he plays for Swindon on the right. Any good?

Back