• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I never read one match review saying that we should sell Stearman before yesterday. Strange how now, people are happy he is going. He is one of the last players I would have sold, with this young unexperienced team.
You have to back the managers judgement on players, perhaps there are certain qualities in a centre back that he looks for that have not been evident with Richard Stearman and he believes he can buy in or develop better. Its his call.

Most clubs sell and buy players. There are some that can hoard players they don't really need but we aren't one of those. There is no evidence that we have any financial issues and Jackett has said the decision was for football reasons. If he can increase his transfer budget by selling a player he deems surplus to requirements he joins the realms of most other football managers.

Dont agree why do we have to sell to be able to afford to buy after just receiving our last parachute payment had had significant wages savings from the departure of Johnson, OHARA Doyle and Sako ?

Not that fussed about Stearman personally, I think all three od Hause, Iorfa and EEL have the potential to be better players.

The one thing that does worry me about RVLP leaving is that even for the weird rhombus, it leaves us VERY short of wide players with any experience at all - if we lose Henry to injury (which will inevitably happen at some point), then we're into a bunch of kids. Talented ones, no doubt, but you do need to match up youth and experience - and we seem to be focussing on the youth a bit too much.

Not that fussed about Stearman personally, I think all three od Hause, Iorfa and EEL have the potential to be better players.
I agree with your sentiment Trev, the worrying thing for me in your statement is the word potential. At this moment in time Stearman is a better centre half than Hause, at least on a par with EEL and I've never seen Iorfa in that position and neither has Kenny in a first team game. He is also the only one who can bring the ball out of defence and into midfield. A 2 of Batth and EEL for example would be solid enough, but a hoof fest.To me it seems counter intuitive to weaken an area of your first 11 to strengthen another. I'm in the Langers wait until Tuesday camp, but I'll be mightily pissed with Morgan and Moxey if Jackett has been forced to sell Stearman to raise the £2m for another area of the team as it goes completely against what Moxey said about investing and both him and Morgan understanding what was required and this costing money at the end of last season. If however he brings in another centre half then I don't have an issue as presumably this would be KJ's judgement call.

This is still how I feel. If Kenny had said "offer too good to turn down, great young defenders are the future of the club etc" then I'd have trusted his judgement, but he clearly linked the sale of Stearman to provide what became the£1m for Byrne that the Board couldn't find this when we'd spent relatively little this window I think is letting both Kenny and the fans down. That's what pisses me of, not the sale of Stearman per se.

Last edited:
"and for us to strengthen elsewhere we do feel that this is the right decision"added Jackett.

You're doing it wrong. When he says something that doesn't make a lot of sense, you're stupid if you believe everything he says to the press. It's only when it's a sensible view that it's the truth

I think it's odd that we have to sell to buy. This wasn't the message Moxey sent out at the beginning of the summer at all.

Hypothetical here; If we sold Stearman & van La Parra and then spent £6M+ on Jota would everyone be happy with that?

He's out for months so I'd hope we didn't do that.

Hypothetical here; If we sold Stearman & van La Parra and then spent £6M+ on Jota would everyone be happy with that?

I don't think anybody would moan if there was a clear and obvious attempt to improve our chances of making the playoffs. Having a better squad in October than we had in may looks very unlikely to me though

I will be happy, if we upgrade on Stearman and Ojo and we don't play a system that doesn't suit us, to try to make up for our weakness in certain areas.

Last edited:
If the £2m is used towards a marquee signing along these sort of lines, then I'd
still question the logic behind weakening one area to strengthen another, but would see the thinking behind it. If it's to spend £2m elsewhere though on one or two players then I'll be pissed off as in my view that level of investment should already be available and was strongly hinted by Moxey in May. If our real Summer budget was around £2-3m (Coady plus some loan fees), then I would question the logic of spending the vast majority of that on Coady, who is probably an upgrade on Price, but we had bigger priorities elsewhere.

Danny Baath is due back after the break - he is the captain, at 24 years is plenty experienced enough and looks to be first choice centre half at the club. Losing Stearman's experience is not really an issue. Having Baath and Stearman at the club reduced the opportunity for both EEL and Hause to develop. If Jackett has decided that he doesn't want to send either of these two out on loan then he needs to free up space to give them experience at Wolves. I'm not sure Stearman would fancy a season on the bench at his age - there are the footballing reasons and I am sure that Stearman would take regular football at Fulham over providing cover at Wolves.

£2 million is a decent price for Stearman.

Back