• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

This is a bit of a head scratcher and we could spend a while inventing theory's about the move, if a replacement has been lined up I'm not to concerned. If not I think it leaves light at the back.
Really not concerned about RVLP leaving, flatters to deceive and has been at best average.

£2m is good money for someone in the last year of their contract. I assume Stearman's not prepared to sign a new one.

Would be disappointed if we don't bring in a replacement over the next few days.

He's not in the final year. We have an option completely in our favour. He has two years' left at our discretion.

I'll wait to see what we do in the next few days, but on the face of it it's a baffling sale.

No real concerns over the sale of RVLP, he's been inconsistent in his time here and appears out of Jacketts plans since the start of the season.

As for Stearman, I am surprised and disappointed. He was POTS last year and had been captain so far this season. As for it being a football decision that stinks as nonsense, a footballing decision wouldn't have had him starting every league game so far as captain this season. We've basically decided that 2 million quid is a good deal for a player in the last year of his contract, so just come out and say this. Had we done this 2 months ago no one would have had any issue with it, however 3 days before the transfer window closes it makes no sense unless we have a replacement sourced.

It's baffling if he's not replaced and will give rise to many conspiracy theories by so called people ITK.

With Hause, Ebanks-Landell and Iorfa all considered 1st team players and all central defenders and with Baath to come back 5 first team central defenders is too many. The club is best served by enabling the development of the 3 players who have probably past the point where that development should be on loan elsewhere.

At this point, I would much rather Stearman was sacrificed than any of the others so from a footballing perspective it makes sense. If it was financially motivated we would probably be able to get more for at least 3 of the others. If we don't see Stearman as a long term option then now is as good a time to sell him. Personally, I think 2 million is right at the top end of what he is worth.

Mol Mix hat on. If RVLP goes as well as Stears we'll have made more money than we've spent. Plus we will be down to only 1 of our former Premier League players and this including minus Sako we will be saving an absolute bundle.

With Hause, Ebanks-Landell and Iorfa all considered 1st team players and all central defenders and with Baath to come back 5 first team central defenders is too many. The club is best served by enabling the development of the 3 players who have probably past the point where that development should be on loan elsewhere.

At this point, I would much rather Stearman was sacrificed than any of the others so from a footballing perspective it makes sense. If it was financially motivated we would probably be able to get more for at least 3 of the others. If we don't see Stearman as a long term option then now is as good a time to sell him. Personally, I think 2 million is right at the top end of what he is worth.

I think KJ rates our young prospects in the back 4 and is probably thinking they'll mature into good defenders.

Jackett said in his interview he doesn't consider Iorfa as a CB yet, but in the future yes.

The year option means jack all though if we weren't going take it up and this decision to sell points towards us doing that. £2m has made us make that move 10 months early. It also points to concerns with him early doors this season. Last season he was POTS but last season means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

That said, we do need a replacement for him.

I fall under the extremely confused and disappointed category as far as Stears is concerned. If he leaves in this window I'll be disappointed to not show him my appreciation for his service here and I'm sure there will be plenty of others in the same boat.

I don't especially get KJ's comments about us having enough in that area either. And I'm a bit disappointed to hear VLP is off as well - although no figure has been mentioned on that one?

Very disappointed with today's news.

The main comments from KJ on this

"But I didn't feel the mix was right necessarily in the early days.

"And I think we have to make some big decisions. If it's getting some money in and strengthening in other areas it's best to do it early.

"The early games there's been some promise but we do need to get sorted out, we do need to improve.

"The season is still early enough, if we make the key decisions and the big calls. Obviously we all realise within the club this is a big call."

I think KJ rates our young prospects in the back 4 and is probably thinking they'll mature into good defenders.

Indeed, and that is more likely to happen if they are playing regularly. If Stearman stays, one or more don't play regularly. If we were interested in making money then we would sell Afobe. Jackett calls it a footballing decision and that makes perfect sense to me.

If we sold Afobe now replacing him would be nigh on impossible whereas sell Stearman and his long term replacement us already at the club.

"And I think we have to make some big decisions. If it's getting some money in and strengthening in other areas it's best to do it early.

"The early games there's been some promise but we do need to get sorted out, we do need to improve.

"The season is still early enough, if we make the key decisions and the big calls. Obviously we all realise within the club this is a big call."

Seems sensible to me

Strange how stears retweeted the dressing room video this morning even tho he was seemingly off!
Wasn't the official line from the club that "no forwards" would be sold not "no 1st teamers"?

People are interpreting this as KJ suggesting that the board wasn't backing him. I don't quite see how it does.

Back