• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

@tim_spiers_Star now
Reports this morning suggesting Norwich could switch their attention from Afobe to Dwight Gayle.

Makes sense - less than half the price it'd cost to get Afobe.

Roll on Tuesday. I'm really bored of all of this!

Norwich are a smart club, however I can't see them offering triple wages to what we do, they may but as a newly promoted team all there wages will be structured around a relegation drop. They won't piss away there future chasing staying up. Remember when we wanted Clyne but he didn't get dazzled by the lure of the Prem? It does happen, and has worked out pretty well for him.

Of the three promoted clubs they have the added bonus of parachute payments. Unless they lose them if they were promoted again which I'm unsure on. If they keep them they have much more muscle than the other two.

He's staying people and has not been affected by this. Playing Saturday.

Good news, although I'd have took the money if we'd had 2 or 3 good signings lined up ready to press the button. I think we've missed a chance to bolster the first 11.

Of the three promoted clubs they have the added bonus of parachute payments. Unless they lose them if they were promoted again which I'm unsure on. If they keep them they have much more muscle than the other two.

Any remaining parachute money gets redistributed amongst the other league clubs if someone gets promoted again before they're fully paid I think.

Either way Norwich can still pay him more than Wolves, if he does well then they have an asset they can put on should they need to and even if they don't they've got a fresh set of parachute payments to soften the blow and buy them some time to get their house in order. I don't expect them to offer him £50-60k but it wouldn't need anything like that to blow his Wolves wage out of the water I'd imagine.

Good news, although I'd have took the money if we'd had 2 or 3 good signings lined up ready to press the button. I think we've missed a chance to bolster the first 11.

15 million, probably yes but does anyone know what Norwich's highest bid was?

Norwich are leaking every bid to Sky in an attempt to stir up a situation. We are not interested in selling and carrying on as normal.

If this was June/July we *might* have been interested. Even if we know who we would sign to replace at this point in time it is dangerous gamble to with a few days left. All of sudden we have £10m-£15m to burn and every player we want suddenly has an increase in value. Right decision to refuse to budge on Afobe.

If this was June/July we *might* have been interested. Even if we know who we would sign to replace at this point in time it is dangerous gamble to with a few days left. All of sudden we have £10m-£15m to burn and every player we want suddenly has an increase in value. Right decision to refuse to budge on Afobe.

Totally agree.
We sell and a (sort of) replacement such as Gayle suddenly goes from £6mill to £8 / £9mill...Also a player like that would break any wage structure we currently have....no need to rock the boat.
Better to keep hold and Afobe really doesnt seem to me to be the sort of player to go so soon.
Anyone know the track record of his agent?

He's staying people and has not been affected by this. Playing Saturday.
That's all we need to know.
I'd be amazed if Afobe had requested a meeting.
Agree.

A big fat no to big fat Nolan, I don't think we need someone with the same style and skill level as Dave Edwards on about four times the money.

Alex Neil said something similar about Nathan Redmond, i.e. he hasn't been at Norwich long and is better off fulfilling his potential there rather than moving to one of the big boys.

As GoldFlag said: Norwich leaking to Sky Sports is just an attempt to stir up unrest. The persistent bidding also. Kudos to Afobe for remaining cool and calm.

Back