• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I was reading through the Hull programme with Mini Langers last night. There's a Q&A with Afobe in there and the things he says don't point to anything other than a player happy at the club and excited about his future here.

I know they're only words and money talks etc etc but he doesn't seem like the sort of character who'd just up and leave after 6 months. He has time on his side, and I'm sure he realises that if we're still stuck in the championship next season, we'd be more willing to listen to offer so for this window, I'd be very surprised not to mention extremely disappointed if he left.

As for Nolan - no thank you. I really don't like his attitude on the pitch.

Kenny Jackett seemed irked by Norwich's continued interest when the subject was put to him after last night's League Cup win over Barnet.

"He's a Wolves player and when the window shuts he'll still be a Wolves player," he said.

"There is an enormous amount of speculation. But he won't be leaving.

"We're looking at the whole picture, the amount of time left in the window, the overall prices, there's so much to consider and everything points to Wolves not letting anybody go

I don't get it, what's not to understand in that statement?

It's moved on a little bit since then.

If Afobe decides he wants to join a Club that will be probably playing their football where he is currently playing his next season then screw the bastards for every penny and let him go.

Equally, if he does well for Norwich and they get relegated a bigger club will come in for him. I've heard a few people say this, but it's a crap argument.

I'm expecting us to take a similar stance as Everton are with John Stones: the player is much more valuable to us than the money right now. I think Afobe is level-headed enough to realise that a move so early to the Premier League could potentially damage the reputation he has already built up. I'm still startled that we're receiving £10m bids for a player who has only played six months of Championship football.

I'm referring to the 'meeting with Moxey'.

I wasn't.

Kenny Jackett seemed irked by Norwich's continued interest when the subject was put to him after last night's League Cup win over Barnet.

"He's a Wolves player and when the window shuts he'll still be a Wolves player," he said.

"There is an enormous amount of speculation. But he won't be leaving.

"We're looking at the whole picture, the amount of time left in the window, the overall prices, there's so much to consider and everything points to Wolves not letting anybody go

It's moved on a little bit since then.

Maybe if we were serious about keeping him , we should pay him 10 thousand a week more, about 520, 000 for 1 year. That is chicken feed for a gain of 12 million. Then promise him, if we don't get promoted, he can go if 14 million is offered next year. This way, he could stay, play really well and get even higher wages next year, with a PL club.

That would show intent and ambition on our part. But I wouldn't hold your breath. We haven't shown intent for a while.

"We haven't shown intent for a while"

We have, assuming it's our intention to finish just outside the play offs?

On double ot tripple the wages?

Norwich are a smart club, however I can't see them offering triple wages to what we do, they may but as a newly promoted team all there wages will be structured around a relegation drop. They won't piss away there future chasing staying up. Remember when we wanted Clyne but he didn't get dazzled by the lure of the Prem? It does happen, and has worked out pretty well for him.

Sky Sports are reporting that The Sun are saying that Wolves have told Norwich it will take £15 million ....

Afobe is more valuable than the money, but only if he's 100% committed to Wolves.
As to having a replacement lined up, surely any competent recruitment department has a list of potential replacements for every position and is constantly keeping tabs on them?
Suspect quite a lot could happen with Wolves between now and Tuesday night...

Back