• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

2012 - sold Jarvis and Fletcher, bought Sako, Doumbia, Sigurdarson, Margreitter, Boukari

Eh? you mean we spent that money?
I thought it was in a spare room where Morgan rolled around in it naked whilst covered in honey shouting "mine mine mine"

Must stop reading the E&S comments.

Eh? you mean we spent that money?
I thought it was in a spare room where Morgan rolled around in it naked whilst covered in honey shouting "mine mine mine"

Must stop reading the E&S comments.

People act like Morgan isn't robbing, but me and a mate just broke into his mansion and got this secret footage of him, no doubt some of this is the Jarvis and Fletcher cash that he pocketed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw

Tell Norwich to do one and go and buy Gayle for £6m anyway.

Gayle, Afobe, Dicko is a mouth watering prospect at this level.
Adding a 4th striker would be overkill IMO. Le Fondre showed well yesterday and Bright is surely close to the bench.

Before my time but arguably spending all the Steve Daley money on Andy Gray wasn't brilliant business either.

We sold Steve Daley to Man City and bought Andy Gray from Villa. The next year Andy Gray scored the winner on the League cup final against Man City.
Andy Gray was a cult hero at Wolves and just for that goal at Wembley, I am happy we sold Daley to buy Gray. You have to remember in 1980, the league cup was a big trophy. I will never forget that day.

We sold Steve Daley to Man City and bought Andy Gray from Villa. The next year Andy Gray scored the winner on the League cup final against Man City.
Andy Gray was a cult hero at Wolves and just for that goal at Wembley, I am happy we sold Daley to buy Gray. You have to remember in 1980, the league cup was a big trophy. I will never forget that day.

I could have scored that goal...

You've managed to forget who we played...

You need to brush up on your history, Mr. historymakers.

Gray scored against Forest. Hibbitt & King John scored against City.

It was Forest not City and he couldn't miss. I was only a kid but I don't remember people being complementary about Gray at the time, injury prone with a very average scoring record for us is my recollection, but as I say I was a kid so not my views just those I remember from the time.

Oh yes silly me. He was worth the money for the goal against Forest at Wembley. I saw Andy Gray sign for Wolves against Palace. The South bank was imense that day.

Second hand stuff on my part but I think consensus at the time was we had an ageing squad, parts of which hadn't been refreshed for years and we'd have been better off spending what was astronomical money for the time on the whole team rather than one vanity purchase.

One goal doesn't make a player worth the money on his own anyway, am I happy we paid £3m+ for Stephen Hunt because he scored vs Blackburn? No I am not, I had to watch his complete lack of skill for three years which was no fun.

It was Forest not City and he couldn't miss. I was only a kid but I don't remember people being complementary about Gray at the time, injury prone with a very average scoring record for us is my recollection, but as I say I was a kid so not my views just those I remember from the time.

Not my history, but my memory. Went to both finals.

West Ham make a £4m + season loan of Jarvis bid for Antonio.

Cue the line of people insisting we move for Jarvis now he is available.

Adding a 4th striker would be overkill IMO. Le Fondre showed well yesterday and Bright is surely close to the bench.

A three pronged attack of Afobe, Dicko, Gayle at this level would be unstoppable. Le Fondre as back up and/or an alternative option from the bench would again be excellent. It would allow Bright the chance to develop in the Under 21's or out on loan for a season.

My opinion is if you have the option to buy a player who is going to improve your starting 11 for the right price - you should really be looking to make that deal happen.

That said, we're clearly not in for Dwight and have good options in that area of the pitch so it's a moot point. Gayle will probably end up at Norwich!

I don't think a front three of out and out strikers would work with our midfield.

Second hand stuff on my part but I think consensus at the time was we had an ageing squad, parts of which hadn't been refreshed for years and we'd have been better off spending what was astronomical money for the time on the whole team rather than one vanity purchase.

One goal doesn't make a player worth the money on his own anyway, am I happy we paid £3m+ for Stephen Hunt because he scored vs Blackburn? No I am not, I had to watch his complete lack of skill for three years which was no fun.

Yep as I remember this was the view of the majority once it was quickly realised that Gray wasn't going to be 80's equivalent of Messi and instead was a decent first division striker if he had the players around him (as his time at Everton showed) but who was prone to injuries.

He may have scored the goal that won the league cup but he was also a member of the side who got relegated a couple of years later.

The big fella, Andy Gray was signed with a dicky knee.

he failed his first medical and Barney (John Barnwell) sent him to a doctor pal in Nottingham where he magically passed.

The theory was after selling Daley, Marshall would have kept the money if Barney hadn't blown Gray out of proportion and bought him (via fan lust, and basically the on the pitch signing at Molineux).

However for all the shit about his dicky knee, he still burst Wolves into life, and was worth every penny.

Along with Emelyn Hughes the two raised the profile of Wolves way above where it was, and also succedded in drinking the Mount Hotel dry.

I was at both league cup finals and many nights at the mount with the pair of them, and i wouldn't swap it for the world, but I must say it's a fucking blessing that there was no cypro in Wolverhampton at that time, ha ha ha .

Fond memories of the Big Fella and the Road Runner, and what a great time to be at Molineux.

I spent six months with Barney in Tenerife, magic fella, but i have no idea to this day how we are both still alive.ha ha ha

I don't think a front three of out and out strikers would work with our midfield.

Not particularly that for me, just that the same problem that everyone has had with narrow formation being that full backs are exposed again

Not particularly that for me, just that the same problem that everyone has had with narrow formation being that full backs are exposed again

Play Price in front of the back four behind Coady and MacD and he gives the full backs cover and licence to roam. (see Charlton thread)

Back