• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

We made our position clear.

There will be a fan revolt if they end up accepting a bid, regardless of the fee.

If we were offered £12-£15m at the start of July I'd have been minded to take it but there's not a chance we'd be able to do anything with it now.

£12-15m + Lewis Grabban for the season would be fine for me. Of course we could get Dwight Gayle for £6m too. Both more than adequate replacements for a championship club.

£12-15m + Lewis Grabban for the season would be fine for me. Of course we could get Dwight Gayle for £6m too. Both more than adequate replacements for a championship club.

That would be well worth taking.

Grabban is pish. He can't finish.

If we could have taken Gayle and Antonio for Afobe it would have been worth it - but I can't see that happening now.

If we keep Benik and he scores 20 again - the offers will still be there next summer if we don't get promoted.

If we could have taken Gayle and Antonio for Afobe it would have been worth it - but I can't see that happening now.

If we keep Benik and he scores 20 again - the offers will still be there next summer if we don't get promoted.

What if he got injured?

I disagree on Grabban, he was good for Bournemouth. If KJ wanted a different striker we could go for Kormagant (sp). Most of all I would expect a bonafide LM like Antonio to turn up and I don't think it's too late at all.

However Benik is still our player.

If we can't replace Sako after several months, what chance do we have of replacing Afobe in less than a week?

£14m/£15m would be lovely and all that, but it's pointless unless it's used and I can't see how on earth we'd use it appropriately in such a short space of time. Other clubs aren't going to throw their best players at us to help us out.

If he does want to go, there's realistically nothing we can do about it but I'd hope we'd tell Norwich to do one, and tell Afobe to give us this season and if we still find ourselves in the championship in 12 months time, we won't stand in his way if his value is met.

Absolutely, grabban is crap - needs 4 chances to score. Plus he refused to be on the bench for them last night and went awol...

No chance I would sell him when the transfer window is almost shut. It's clearly going to be difficult to hold onto him in January, though...

What if he has a sex change and can't play mens football?

Erm, the point been, if we didn't sell when the offer was there then anything could happen in 12 months that could mean his value will plummet. You have to take it when the offer is there, not assume it will be there in 12 months time too. For a club that gives the impression of being tight, £15m is a lot of money to reinvest in new players.

Jackett and Grabban don't get on, see Calvin's book for evidence. £10m is a very good offer for Afobe and in pure isolation good business - £8m profit less any add ons to Arsenal in less than 8 months. In theory we could be a better team without Afobe but with 4 new players who are better than we already have, but I don't trust us to spend it wisely in the week that is left, the Solbakken trolley dash post the Fletcher and Jarvis sales has scarred me, so no deal. I doubt Norwich will go higher.

It would certainly solve our "how do we get Dicko and Afobe into the same starting 11" problem.

Go back to 4231 and relax....

Jackett and Grabban don't get on, see Calvin's book for evidence. £10m is a very good offer for Afobe and in pure isolation good business - £8m profit less any add ons to Arsenal in less than 8 months. In theory we could be a better team without Afobe but with 4 new players who are better than we already have, but I don't trust us to spend it wisely in the week that is left, the Solbakken trolley dash post the Fletcher and Jarvis sales has scarred me, so no deal. I doubt Norwich will go higher.

:facepalm: I've read that as well. Piss poor memory on my part.

I agree with you on not being able to spend it wisely, although it wouldn't be too hard to get Gayle as there has already been a £6m bid accepted and you would think with a bit more cash Antonio could be prized away from Forest too or Russell from Derby.

Only really once in the last 20-30 years have we sold a big player and used the money effectively to improve the rest of the team for a net gain, that was when we sold Keane and spent the money on Akinbiyi, Branch, Ndah, Oakes and Pollet. Otherwise we have a really bad track record at it so I'd rather we didn't.

1998 - sold Froggatt, funds not given to McGhee, Lee bought Flo and Niestroj when he took over
2000 - sold Akinbiyi, bought Taylor, Ketsbaia, Dinning, Butler, Roussel
2004 - loaned/sold Camara, bought Seol and Olofinjana
2006 - sold Lescott, didn't have the money to reinvest, Mick consigned to freebies and cheap lower league signings
2012 - sold Jarvis and Fletcher, bought Sako, Doumbia, Sigurdarson, Margreitter, Boukari

Before my time but arguably spending all the Steve Daley money on Andy Gray wasn't brilliant business either.

I'm not counting Olofinjana as the big lummox was only a big player in the sense that he was over 6 foot, we improved immediately just by selling him, let alone signing replacements.

£10m is a good market value for Afobe - he has only played 6 months of Championship football - but he is worth far more than that to us. Norwich would be better turning their attention to Charlie Austin if they want to go any higher.

Wolves comment:

"Wolves can confirm that a third bid from Norwich City for Benik Afobe has been immediately rejected.

The Club's position, outlined on Wednesday, 19th August 2015, remains unchanged."

I have faith we won't sell him. We stood pretty firm when Forest were interested in Sako despite his brief #headsgone moment.

Quote from KJ. "Benik Afobe is a Wolves player and when the window shuts he will still be a Wolves player"

Back