• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Whats this Dack like, strengths and weakness?

He's only like 5"9 and quite slight but very skilful. Started as a winger at Gillingham and always had potential but they moved him into centre mid and he's really kicked on. Makes Gills tick, dictates the play and loves to get forward. Really good goal return for a midfielder, similar to Jed Wallace (we've obviously identified this as a weakness of ours).

Really good hair too.

Forshaw would be good, that said he's done poorly in the Championship so far considering the money that's been spent on him in the past year

He was alright at Boro, just unlucky that Clayton & Leadbitter were in such good form.

Bloody hell, another central midfielder?

For all the talk of freeing up money thanks to shedding the high earners, we're going to be paying wages for players like Rowe, Saville, even Evans, who appear not to have a long-term future here (though, admittedly, I don't really feel too bad about the first two of those three). Or this could be the club anticipating McDonald leaving?

Evans wages will be paid by Bradford... But aside from that your point stands.

Forshaw has had issues at his last 2 clubs apparently.
I'm unsold on both. Mainly because I am not convinced that midfield is the area that needs strengthening.

If Henry is off, we really have to be looking at bringing in at least 1 wide player. I'm in a minority, but I still tentatively hold on to some belief that VlP will be improved this year. Henry's lack of pace is too big an issue, and he was woeful when he came on v Cardiff.

Forshaw has had issues at his last 2 clubs apparently.
I'm unsold on both. Mainly because I am not convinced that midfield is the area that needs strengthening.

If Henry is off, we really have to be looking at bringing in at least 1 wide player. I'm in a minority, but I still tentatively hold on to some belief that VlP will be improved this year. Henry's lack of pace is too big an issue, and he was woeful when he came on v Cardiff.

Personally, I think Henry is our best winger. If he's off I'd hope we've got two good wingers coming in. VLP is shite.

I'm in the minority I think with VlP Penk. & to be fair, my faith in him is dwindling.

I think Henry is our best winger in every dept, except for the fact that he is too slow. He works really hard to run fast, but it isn't successful. If he had a bit more pace, not lightening, but enough, he'd be worth millions.

I think he's also good with younger players coming through too. If we upgraded, I'd be happy. I was however disappointed with how poor he was when he came on saturday.

L
I'm in the minority I think with VlP Penk. & to be fair, my faith in him is dwindling.

I think Henry is our best winger in every dept, except for the fact that he is too slow. He works really hard to run fast, but it isn't successful. If he had a bit more pace, not lightening, but enough, he'd be worth millions.

I think he's also good with younger players coming through too. If we upgraded, I'd be happy. I was however disappointed with how poor he was when he came on saturday.

For me I think the fact James Henry is 26 means he's only going to get slower in coming years which is quite a frightening really. I'm not a pace merchant because Beckham never needed bags of pace or even Championship wingers like Glenn Little but Henry seems even slower than those were. I do like him but the pace thing is his undoing.

If we played to van La Parra's strengths he'd be a decent player for us. Unfortunately we don't know how to do that at the moment. The worst thing about watching us hoof aimless balls straight at his head which he didn't even bother contesting was that I knew he was going to get unnecessary stick for it. What was he supposed to do? Make some token effort to win the ball against Slade's mutant defenders and get an elbow in the back of his head?

Get the ball in to his feet with good off the ball movement around him and he'll create chances. Hoof the ball and he'll just stand there watching it looking pathetic.

He annoyed me on Saturday not simply because he was shit (as everyone was), but because he clearly had the beating of Fabio, took him on three times and beat him three times. But he just flat out didn't do it for over an hour, just a load of unambitious slack passing infield. Might have been instruction I suppose but why would the manager tell his quick winger not to play to his (only) strength?

I can't see him being a success here as his delivery is still largely terrible. He overhits more crosses than Mo Camara used to.

From my few viewings of VLP he just seems thick as pigshit. He's quick with wildly inconsistent end product, I don't see that as a recipe for success really, think the best chance of getting any decent output from is going full on Allardyce style percentage football, take all the thinking away from him and just have him following rigid instructions, sprint in behind everytime a midfielder has the ball, get them to just keep trying to get it over the fullback's head and see where it ends up. He'll still probably end up shanking half his crosses into no-man's land but I think that's about as much as you can expect from someone so limited yet erratic as him.

3rd Norwich bid of £10m (apparently) rejected.

What made me laugh as SKY reporting that our evaluation is £14m...

You reckon this will turn his head now then... I believe Jackett when he said 'He'll be a Wolves player after the window closes'

It's all down to the player, it always is. I'd be pushing for a move if I was him. Norwich have a good chance of staying up, we might make the play offs. Similar sized clubs, Norwich have a better manager. Not saying he'll go, but if he wants to, he will.

You reckon this will turn his head now then... I believe Jackett when he said 'He'll be a Wolves player after the window closes'

No, but I'd imagine they'll get nearer to the £15m which we'd be silly not to accept.

The £14 million has come from the Daily Mirror who probably looked at the biggest fee we ever received for a striker and picked that. The only slight concern I have is how the stories of the rejected bids keep getting out, Norwich releasing them to show Afobe they want him I'd imagine?

It's all down to the player, it always is. I'd be pushing for a move if I was him. Norwich have a good chance of staying up, we might make the play offs. Similar sized clubs, Norwich have a better manager. Not saying he'll go, but if he wants to, he will.

I'd agree with this Del. i don't think there is anything we can do and we will have fantastic value out of the lad and I hope we buy accordingly as there will literally be no excuse.

We made our position clear.

There will be a fan revolt if they end up accepting a bid, regardless of the fee.

If we were offered £12-£15m at the start of July I'd have been minded to take it but there's not a chance we'd be able to do anything with it now.

Back