• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Now that i would be happy with, i mentioned him at the start of the summer and if we play the narrow four feel he would work quite well.

Agreed. Similar to the way I hope Wallace will fit into that formation or the way Edwards should but doesn't quite manage to pull off. A midfield rhombus of McDonald, Coady, Wallace & Dack could work quite well in theory. They'd certainly provide a greater goal scoring threat from midfield that we've been missing.

Seen quite a few Chmapionship clubs linked with him (Brizzle, Hudds, PNE, etc) so Gillingham might be able to drive up the price.

There isn't usually amount set in a buy back clause though is there, just that they have first option?

Yeah I think it's they get the right to match any other offers, or would have privy to any sort of minimum release clause that could be triggered, or that any offers we accept we need to inform them , or something to that extent.

3eaedb688c5bf0a498ad542835c0bb1c.jpg

Glad that is sorted then.

I know Tottenham always have buy back clauses on their youngsters, not that this means arsenal will be working exactly the same as them but I'd have thought this would be similar for all the big clubs.

There is no such thing as a buy back clause - they would be illegal for a start as in a restraint of trade. Arsenal no longer have any contractual relationship with Afobe and they do not hold his player registration. Even if Arsenal had an option it would be with Wolves, not Afobe, who would be within his rights to turn down Arsenal if he didn't want to go there.

Norwich have put another bid in for Afobe.

Hopefully its not more than £5m or we will be ripping them off.

As far as I'm concerned, they're clearly trying to get in the players head and unsettle him. Wolves couldn't have been any firmer with their statement that he is NOT FOR SALE. They addressed it on the official website, the manager has said it on TV interviews - notwithstanding the blatant chats that have happened behind closed doors with the representatives of Norwich.

For them to stick another bid in after all of that is clearly a tactic to unsettle Afobe and hope he asks for a move (like Berahino).

I don't think he will - but I'm with all of the Manager's and pro's who agree the transfer window should be shut by the time the season kicks off. Having all this uncertainty and tactical bidding once the season has started is ridiculous.

I agree with you Jinks but if we were Norwich wouldn't we do the same. Isn't this what we did with McD? I wouldn't blame Afobe for the move either, he'd clearly be #1 straight away and Norwich look decent under Alex Neil.

McDonald had a release clause.

Wolves just need to reiterate the statement. It'll be absolute meltdown if we let him go now given the past couple of games.

McDonald had a release clause.

Wolves just need to reiterate the statement. It'll be absolute meltdown if we let him go now given the past couple of games.

It was more the tactics rather than the fee I was getting at and I agree with the meltdown, but if the player's #headsgone what can we realistically do?

but if the player's #headsgone what can we realistically do?

Not a lot really. They would need Benik to publicly say he wants to go though and move bloody quick to replace him and hope who does hits the ground running (not that I expect Afobe to go though and Norwich will get the same treatment Forest got over Sako)

I dont think we'll reiterate the statement - it said that once we'd said he wasnt for sale, we wouldnt keep saying it didnt it?

he's not for sale, nothing to worry about in my view. Afobe doesnt strike me as the mercenary type like McDonald, and has only been here half a season. Norwich are just getting desperate as no-one wants to sign for them.

It's a completely different scenario when a player has a bargain bin release clause in his contract. 250k wasn't it?

We came in and offered the cash which they were obliged to accept. Maybe he was offered a new deal at the time? Can't really see how we can compare the scenarios.

Afobe will come out of it looking like an absolute cock if he throws a paddy and forces a move after his comments.

I dont think we'll reiterate the statement - it said that once we'd said he wasnt for sale, we wouldnt keep saying it didnt it?

he's not for sale, nothing to worry about in my view. Afobe doesnt strike me as the mercenary type like McDonald, and has only been here half a season. Norwich are just getting desperate as no-one wants to sign for them.

I'm not expecting us to release another statement - just that we'll point Norwich to the original statement and tell them to do one.

I hope we make no comment whatsoever.

If asked about it, just say it's a dead issue.

Back