• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I think there is a difference between the actual value of a player and the market rate for a player.

Afobe is a player with huge potential, several years on his contract and consistently scoring. Andre Gray provides us with an initial start point for the going market rate, if Gray cost £9million and Afobe has a better strike rate plus is younger then Afobe is a minimum of £10 Million plus. Aside from that; Wolves don't want to sell therefore this increases his market value!

I've got a watch that's worth what I'm selling it for - if you're interested?

How much do you want for it? Where did you buy it from so I can see if it's cheaper there?

Thing is your watch isn't unique and Afobe is

Any more words of wisdom?

If Jordan Rhodes and Charlie Austin have recently had £15m bids rejected for them, then Afobe as the top English goalscorer last season is easily worth the same.
Austin had Premier League pedigree, I'd definitely have him over Afobe at the same price.

Am I the only one who noticed he called Pedro a striker?

Taken from a Brentford fan re Gray but we could easily apply it to Afobe.

It's not just down to the player's worth, a major part of the transaction are the two clubs involved and their respective situations regarding finance, transfer targets, strength of squad, ability to negotiate. For instance, Brentford don't need the money and regard selling Gray as strengthening a play-off rival, therefore Brentford start negotiations from a position of relative power. Same went for Bristol City, although not a promotion rival, it was obvious that BCFC have struggled to recruit this summer and were getting desperate despite having funds available. We've opted to sell to Burnley rather than Hull (Hull's bid was apparently only £750,000 short of our valuation) as we had a very strong positions in negotiations and weren't likely to be messed about.

"I'm not saying he's worth that"

What are you saying he's worth then?

Okay - well I replied to you explaining my thoughts on the sort of value Afobe would fetch, if we sold him. Which we won't. And that's the reply you give?

You clearly have absolutely no interest whatsoever in contributing to a debate properly so how about you start to actually bring something to the forum rather than the trite nonsense you seem to post on a daily basis?

Totally up to you but if all you're going to do is try to wind up other posters you won't last much longer on here.

Fucking hell, what a debate...looking at the market, our need not to sell, age, english, goal scoring record, contract left.. i would say between 12-15m as many already stated..probably more parameters in there but this i made in 3 mins

Apologies for the brevity of my posts yesterday, it's not easy for me to type reams of prose when I am at work.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions on Afobes market value. Mine won't change just because I am in the minority. This is the same player we bought just a few months ago for £1m plus add ons, he was younger then, still English, and scoring goals in the lower leagues against poor defences. He was also at a club under absolutely no financial pressure to sell the player, but now after a few games for us his value has seemingly shot into the stratosphere.

Anyway, believe what you want. Ban me for not complying with the group think if that's what keeps harmony on the forum.

Apologies for the brevity of my posts yesterday, it's not easy for me to type reams of prose when I am at work.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions on Afobes market value. Mine won't change just because I am in the minority. This is the same player we bought just a few months ago for £1m plus add ons, he was younger then, still English, and scoring goals in the lower leagues against poor defences. He was also at a club under absolutely no financial pressure to sell the player, but now after a few games for us his value has seemingly shot into the stratosphere.

Anyway, believe what you want. Ban me for not complying with the group think if that's what keeps harmony on the forum.

Thanks Deja...You have given your reason for why you believe Afobe is worth not as much as some of us believe and that is all I had asked for.
I still believe that when you get to this stage of a Transfer Window all logic and common sense goes out of the window with clubs panic buying. This is what leads me to think we could ask for a substantial fee for Afobe...Not because that is what his market value would be, but because some teams will be desperate and will pay over the odds.
It's another reason why I prefer Wolves to get their deals done early in the window, otherwise you leave yourself open to extortionate asking prices

:shakehand:

Thanks Deja...You have given your reason for why you believe Afobe is worth not as much as some of us believe and that is all I had asked for.
I still believe that when you get to this stage of a Transfer Window all logic and common sense goes out of the window with clubs panic buying. This is what leads me to think we could ask for a substantial fee for Afobe...Not because that is what his market value would be, but because some teams will be desperate and will pay over the odds.
It's another reason why I prefer Wolves to get their deals done early in the window, otherwise you leave yourself open to extortionate asking prices

:shakehand:

Thanks darlo. I don't mind getting stick for bringing some balance to the forum. I didn't mind getting slaughtered on Wednesday for having the audacity to warn against under estimating a "dog dirt" QPR either. I never run with the herd, it's how I made my millions.

This is the same player we bought just a few months ago for £1m plus add ons, he was younger then, still English, and scoring goals in the lower leagues against poor defences. He was also at a club under absolutely no financial pressure to sell the player,
Why was his value so low only 6 months ago? Well, Arsenal sold him because he was getting nowhere near their first team. He was a young U21 squad player at a Premier League club who hadn't made a single appearance for the first team. He wasn't really on anyone's radar other than for scoring well at MK Dons, two leagues below his parent club. His loan the season before at Sheff Wed in the Championship only saw him score twice in 12 appearances.

The player also most likely expressed his desire to leave and get regular football after doing well at MK Dons and seeing no future at Arsenal. This was also before stupid amounts started getting thrown about in our division so the market value for him was much, much lower.

U21 player at top 4 Premier League club
13/14 6 month loan in Championship - 2 goal, 12 league app
14/15 6 month loan in League 1 - 9 goals, 23 league apps

His record hardly screams "best English goalscorer in the Football League". £1-2m sounds about right for him at that point in time.

but now after a few games for us his value has seemingly shot into the stratosphere.

He's now scored 15 goals in 24 games in the Championship since we signed him in January. That's not just a few goals against poor defences in League 1, and makes other clubs sit up and take note.

What is a market value anyway? Is Gray worth £9m? Was McCormack worth £11m? Afobe's value is based on whether the club want to sell, how much they ask and more importantly will a buying club spend it.

You think he is less than £5m but with Norwich apparently bidding £6m and we rejected it, his "value" at this moment in time is higher than your view.

He has got a lot to prove this season to be anywhere near what you guys are expecting of him then. So far, he has missed chances that a £15m striker should be taking. Maybe thats why he couldn't get near Arsenals first team?

3 goals in 4 games this season. Shocking stuff.

Aguero missed four clear chances before he scored last Sunday. Quick City, sell him for £9m.

Bully used to miss tons of chances too but I think you know all this, it's quite obvious you don't really think Afobe is only worth £5m and that he and Wolves live in complete isolation to the rest of the transfer market.

At a guess, I think he is worth about 12 million at the moment. It is an interesting point though, why didn't any Premier League clubs try to buy him from Arsenal?

I think Wolves have to take a big pat on the back here. They picked up on his potential and made a very good buy, at the right time.

Back