• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

This is (one of many) reasons why we won't sell, to get anyone half decent to fill the gap we'd immediately lose half of what we got for selling him, adding in what we paid to get Afobe in the first place and that makes it the majority lost.

Along with that I presume Arsenal would have put a sell-on clause into the deal.

Don't know why everyone loves feeding the troll

It's not feeding a troll, for me.
DJV makes his points but I have challenged his view on this hoping he will ellaborate and tell me what he believes. He has done so in the past but I don't understand why he won't engage this time.
We all have our own views on different aspects of all things Wolves and we generally explain why we think that way even if it is "against the grain". So come on Deja, give me your opinion on Afobes value within the current market and to Wolves , as a player

Don't ban me. Look OK, he's worth £100m. Sorry.
Why can there be no middle ground with you?

The club are either cashing in and have no ambition if they sell a player, or they're letting a player run his contract down and wasting money for letting him go for nothing.

Its easy to understand why Afobe should cost more than Gray, he's appeared for the u21's, he scores more goals, and he's two years younger. All of those have their own premium.

Deja Vue is a funny one. It's almost convenient how he started posting again after the guy with The Wolves Way got banned?

Well we've tried again but it's time to let DeJaWUM be and put back in his little ignore box

Its easy to understand why Afobe should cost more than Gray, he's appeared for the u21's, he scores more goals, and he's two years younger. All of those have their own premium.

Deja Vue is a funny one. It's almost convenient how he started posting again after the guy with The Wolves Way got banned?

Deja resumed posting on here following a month-long "holiday".

So come on Deja, give me your opinion on Afobes value within the current market and to Wolves , as a player

I've no idea how much he's worth to Wolves as a player. It's pure speculation as to what he will achieve in his time with us, isn't it?

I would say however that his current market value would be no more than a quarter of World Cup, Euro 2012 and Champions League winning striker Pedro.

I've no idea how much he's worth to Wolves as a player. It's pure speculation as to what he will achieve in his time with us, isn't it?

I would say however that his current market value would be no more than a quarter of World Cup, Euro 2012 and Champions League winning striker Pedro.

Andy Carroll was sold for £35m.

Pedro is a player that was surplus to requirements though, nearly 29, and whose club had indicated they were listening to offers for.

Plus £21m/€30m was the buyout clause in his contract. And he'll be on six figures a week. Otherwise, great comparison.

Let's hear all your opinions on his current market value then?

Okay - we bought him for approximately £2m. He has years left on his contract, he is young, he is now a proven goalscorer in the Championship and he's British. All of those factors combines will increase his market value. As will the daft transfer fees flying around for inferior, older players.

Wolves do not want to sell, Wolves do not need to sell, Wolves would not be able to bring in a suitable replacement in the time left in the transfer market.

The fact is that the market value and the value of the player to Wolves are two completely different things - and due to the position we find ourselves in, the duration Afobe has been here and the duration left to run on his contract means he would command a pretty hefty fee. I'd be fuming if we sold him no matter the price - but if we had to, I'd be asking for over £12m, probably closer to £15m. I'm not saying he's worth that, I'm saying it's not worth us selling for less than that. Market value is a totally different thing to true value, and clauses, the business other clubs have done, contracts, the players themselves - all factors in deciding what a player is 'worth' to both the buying club and the selling club.

Your turn - why £5m? Is that just a figure you've plucked out of thin air?

I've got a watch that's worth what I'm selling it for - if you're interested?

If Jordan Rhodes and Charlie Austin have recently had £15m bids rejected for them, then Afobe as the top English goalscorer last season is easily worth the same.

Back