• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Has anybody got any links to this? Or is it just the odd Brentford fan on Twitter?

I've only seen it on Twitter, but there has been a few Brentford fans mentioned it. Whether it all start from the same person, I have no idea.

If the Jota rumour is true (and, tbh, I don't think it is, but I live in hope), it kind of implies that maybe the Henry to Charlton deal is back on as well, perhaps. We'd be overstocked with right-wingers if not, and the squad has probably a body or two too many at the moment as it is.

Not if we're persisting with our wacky midfield rhombus. Jota can play anywhere in attacking midfield, not just on the right.

As you say, it's probably not going to happen anyway, I haven't seen this rumour anywhere but on here.

Midfield rhombus...

Lycan - you need to copyright that term ASAP. Can just see Brendan Rodgers claiming it is a cutting edge tactical breakthrough in a couple of months. "Absolutely delighted. We've gradually evolved from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 to a diamond to a rhombus. This is the future of football."

‏@mrjakehumphrey 17m17 minutes ago
Agree. Offer 3m for Bamford & I reckon Chelsea would take it or Afobe for 4m and allow WW to double their money..?

LOLZ, Jake. Just LOLZ.

Doesn't he sometimes do MOTD?

£4M???? You can have one of Benik's boots for that.

When Benik goes it will be for in excess of £10m. We all know that Rhodes isn't worth £14m and McCormack wasn't worth £11m, but those figures set the benchmark. in fact sod it, he'll go for a club record fee.

Update: Hull City Tigers to bid £9m for Andre Gray. What? Afobe now worth £20m

Last edited:
Apparently Kenny Jackett was at the Villa vs Stoke City under 21 game personally checking on the versatile left footed Riccardo Calder.

Or he could have been just going to a reserve fixture like all managers do?

Or he could have been just going to a reserve fixture like all managers do?

There's surely some purpose to going though, no?

I doubt any manager just pops along to a random reserve game to get their football fix, it might not mean they're looking to sign anyone involved in the near future but surely there has to be some interest in an individual involved to make him go there?

There's surely some purpose to going though, no?

Not always, no. Often managers just go to look at how players are progressing and sometimes they go to meet other managers/ scouts in the game. It's one of the few places they get peace and quiet to chat to each other.

I doubt any manager just pops along to a random reserve game to get their football fix, it might not mean they're looking to sign anyone involved in the near future but surely there has to be some interest in an individual involved to make him go there?

And you'd be wrong.

Not always, no. Often managers just go to look at how players are progressing and sometimes they go to meet other managers/ scouts in the game. It's one of the few places they get peace and quiet to chat to each other.

And you'd be wrong.

Is that bit in bold not a purpose for going? It's essentially what I suggested in my second sentence.

Not really Mark, it might be a general look at what is about or coming through. To say it's a purpose for going is a bit like saying you're going to the pub, sometimes it isn't even for a drink but to meet your mates, no real intent, just to see what's happening.

And your second sentence 'I doubt any manager just pops along to a random reserve game' is the bit that is wrong, just for clarity.

Not really Mark, it might be a general look at what is about or coming through. To say it's a purpose for going is a bit like saying you're going to the pub, sometimes it isn't even for a drink but to meet your mates, no real intent, just to see what's happening.

I'd consider it a purpose.

I can't imagine Jackett is going there just because he fancies watching a game of football. Surely he'll be going to look at someone, or perhaps several players, or perhaps a particular side who's youth set up he's poached from before, regardless of the level of interest or how far down the line he's thinking in terms of a potential signing if such interest was provoked. Seems bizarre if anyone is just turning up to random games with no thought what so ever in the hope of finding some talent through nothing other than pot luck.

Who said he was going to find talent? And manager's do just go to reserve games to see what is about, I know this from experience not from hearsay.

This 'seeing what is about' is still a purpose though isn't it?

It's not like he's just going to watch the game as a neutral, there's surely some underlying reason behind it, he might not be looking towards an imminent signing but just someone he's heard things about or a particular youth set up he's fond of. He may not go there with any great expectation but there's got to be something, however minimal, to strike his interest to begin with otherwise it's just casual scouting by pot luck.

Back