• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Wallace fit & the McDonald saga finishing (which it will one way or another before the season start) will impact on the first 11 starters & the way we play.

Don't have a problem with Enokbahare being seen as the third choice forward - if Afobe & Dicko stay fit then whoever is in that position will have limited opportunities. Unless we can bring in someone who is a real challenger to one of those two then not sure it is worth spending much money to do so

If the club had stated the idea of using youth and not signing players at the end of last season then I'd be sort of with them (though IMO you need a sensible blend of youth and purchases). Stating it now would be tantamount to saying "guys, we fucked up. We couldn't sign who we wanted but it's ok because we have youth players!"

The lack of a left sided replacement massively detracts from theistic evolution signing in Coady. Relying on Graham on the left is a gamble that might cost us promotion and see us losing the good quality youth we have in our squad.

I'm ok (not ecstatic) about relying on a youth player as the third striker.

Only meant that if the club came out and said that that was the direction they were heading in I'd be 100% behind them. I'd obviously have my reservations but if they rated Ronan/Enobakhare/Graham over any potential signing then I'd trust their judgement until proven wrong.

I misunderstood you. Yes, I'd agree with that if the club really thought that and really pushed that out PR wise (or KJ picked them pre-season). A bit like Liverpool did with Sterling. You still need the experience and if there were better options available you would expect the club to buy. It would be foolish not to, but broadly, giving the kids a chance isn't a bad thing.

If Bright is the next striker off the production line come out and say so and say that's how it is. Instead we got Moxey stating stupid things.

Johnny...Would we of had Robbie Keane come through if we just bought? The whole idea of the Academy is to find gems of our own. Now I'm not saying we shouldn't buy anyone but if we have an exceptional talent, they must be given a chance to shine

I agree with that, if they are good enough they're old enough. But if they're good enough let the world know, it's not is if Rooney, Beckham or Owen were hidden away. Tell the world how good they are and then play them.

Having said that, it's a lot to ask Jordan Graham to occupy the left forward option on his own, or if Wallace is the preferred option there (a la Hazard) and he's broken already it doesn't look particularly good on the backroom team. But I've been through that before.

Interested in Sheyi Ojo on loan apparently

I've seen him play once but blimey the kid's decent. Raw but decent. Wouldn't be a bad shout.

Having said that and as stated above both Gnabry and Russell are proven and worth the money. The kids can always support this as neither will play the whole season.

Last edited:
I misunderstood you. Yes, I'd agree with that if the club really thought that and really pushed that out PR wise (or KJ picked them pre-season). A bit like Liverpool did with Sterling.

If Bright is the next striker off the production line come out and say so and say that's how it is. Instead we got Moxey stating stupid things.

Our PR has been mediocre for some time though - Moxey has been in post for some years now, maybe time for a change to get new ideas coming through. Longest I have ever done in one place is 8 yrs & I know that I was getting stale by then.

We pretty much know wolves either say nothing about transfers or plain out lie

We pretty much know wolves either say nothing about transfers or plain out lie

Who said anything about transfers? Telling the world the kids are good enough and shouting good things about them every time asked isn't transfer talk. It's policy. At the moment we look rudderless in the recruitment dept.

Obfuscation, if they are good enough they will attract attention, etc, etc yah de yah

That'll be you misunderstanding then.

I'll bow down to your almighty wisdom :)

Personally I couldn't give a shit about PR and how the fans perceive wolves ambition, it's bollocks. I want wolves to do well and succeed, preferably with youth team players. How people perceive that really doesn't matter, it isn't going to stop the real supporters following wolves.

Personally I couldn't give a shit about PR and how the fans perceive wolves ambition, it's bollocks. I want wolves to do well and succeed, preferably with youth team players. How people perceive that really doesn't matter, it isn't going to stop the real supporters following wolves.

Real supporters don't stop following Wolves - just get periods of despondency with, lately, limited periods of ecstasy

Personally I couldn't give a $#@! about PR and how the fans perceive wolves ambition, it's bollocks. I want wolves to do well and succeed, preferably with youth team players. How people perceive that really doesn't matter, it isn't going to stop the real supporters following wolves.

Ok petal, maybe you could write a blog on how to be a real supporter.

Real supporters don't stop following Wolves - just get periods of despondency with, lately, limited periods of ecstasy

That's pretty much what it's always been like following wolves though, at least in my life.

Ok petal, maybe you could write a blog on how to be a real supporter.

Dude really? You do have a very high opinion of yourself.

I was merely point out the vast vast majority of wolves fans support wolves because they were either born within 20 miles of the ground or their dad/grandad/uncle supported wolves, or probably both. That won't change unless we were to become bankrolled by a billionaire.

That's pretty much what it's always been like following wolves though, at least in my life.

Dude really? You do have a very high opinion of yourself.

I was merely point out the vast vast majority of wolves fans support wolves because they were either born within 20 miles of the ground or their dad/grandad/uncle supported wolves, or probably both. That won't change unless we were to become bankrolled by a billionaire.

Glad that you said the 'vast majority' as I would clearly fall into the minority camp seeing as how I have never lived north of London (apart from 3 mths in the Midlands on late 59/early 60 which is where my association comes from). Wolves fans come from all over - we all have our reasons for supporting this club rather than any other.

Glad that you said the 'vast majority' as I would clearly fall into the minority camp seeing as how I have never lived north of London (apart from 3 mths in the Midlands on late 59/early 60 which is where my association comes from). Wolves fans come from all over - we all have our reasons for supporting this club rather than any other.

There are still a group of 'glory supporters' from the 50s / 60s hanging on :)

Were we ever to get to that point again I could see PR being important, for now though keeping quiet about our plans is best business practice.

Wolves have a big support outside of Wolverhampton. Mostly because of the 50's and those famous matches against the best teams in the world, on the TV.
When I lived in England, I lived mostly in the south of England, in different towns. Quite often I met Wolves fans whose father's or grandfather's had supported Wolves and it was passed on through generations. The only Albion, Villa or Brum fans I ever met were people who had moved away from the Midlands and there weren't too many of them.

This for me too. Would much rather play graham and bright than any player we might bring in.

Call me cynical but while both have potential they wont get us to the premier league alone. They may be the future but not this year. It would be a miracle for them to 1. hold down a regular first team place and 2 win us promotion. It could happen but its long odds

Will freely admit to that - though didn't start till I had actually been taken to Molineux (though don't remember that much about the experience)

Sure it wasn't as prevalent in those days.

Were we ever to get to that point again I could see PR being important, for now though keeping quiet about our plans is best business practice.

And then there's me, picking them because they have pretty colors :icon_wink:

Attacking midfield when he came on at Burton. If he has more to his game then people suggest then Price could be history.
He played wide right yesterday with Price and Evans in the central roles. I didn't go to Burton, but his cameo at Donny showed a lot of promise. I'm not too sure if he is ready for 40 odd starts in the Champ though.

Back