• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

The defeatism around now is truly unbelievable.

We don't have a God given right to cherry pick the exact players we need or want. KJ has said umpteen times before that he only wants players who improve us, not just to pad numbers.

That already shrinks the pool of candidates, and add in the fact that players who would improve us would improve most other Championship clubs and you've got quite the contest to land any of our targets.

I'll happily eat these words if we're sitting below 12th come October, but good grief. We're not nearly the shambles some seem to think we are right now.

I agree in principle but we've lost our top goal scorer last year and somebody who also chipped in with, what, half a dozen assists? That's upwards of 20 goals that Sako had a direct role in, in a side which finished outside of the play offs for scoring a lack of goals and you're suggesting we shouldn't be concerned at the lack of movement in replacing that source of goals?

Personally I'm giving it until the window closes but if it closes without further additions I for one will be very concerned.

So your level of success this year would be 12th then Alan?
No, but in October I wouldn't be freaking out at that position just yet. It would still be too early then.

Point of order, we didn't finish outside the playoffs due to a lack of goals, we scored very healthily after Afobe's arrival (41 goals in 21 games). We missed out because we took absolute thumpings through November which fucked our goal difference irretrievably.

I agree in principle but we've lost our top goal scorer last year and somebody who also chipped in with, what, half a dozen assists? That's upwards of 20 goals that Sako had a direct role in, in a side which finished outside of the play offs for scoring a lack of goals and you're suggesting we shouldn't be concerned at the lack of movement in replacing that source of goals?

Personally I'm giving it until the window closes but if it closes without further additions I for one will be very concerned.
I would honestly be shocked if we had no more incoming movement. And very disappointed. Still, I don't think the group we have isn't already good enough to at least challenge for top 6.

Jordan Graham and Ebobakahre had good games today according to official Wolves, might be worrying about nothing.

Yeah of course it's going to 'challenge'. The league is shit, 6th place should be bare minimum. We should be pushing for top 2. At the moment Derby, Boro are streets ahead and probably Burnley and Hull. Ipswich have improved as well.

Jordan Graham and Ebobakahre had good games today according to official Wolves, might be worrying about nothing.

If the club came out and said that that's the direction we were going in I'd be absolutely fine with it. If they rate Graham/Ronan/Enobakhare/Wilson that highly I'll be over the moon.

If the club came out and said that that's the direction we were going in I'd be absolutely fine with it. If they rate Graham/Ronan/Enobakhare/Wilson that highly I'll be over the moon.

Agreed, wouldn't it be fantastic if those young lads took us all the way to the Premier League.

Yeah of course it's going to 'challenge'. The league is $#@!, 6th place should be bare minimum. We should be pushing for top 2. At the moment Derby, Boro are streets ahead and probably Burnley and Hull. Ipswich have improved as well.

Not sure I'd really agree with that. Boro haven't replaced their strikers from last year really, having lost both Bamford and vossen, Derby have a side of individuals rather than a team, burnley aren't that great and lost their key players, hull will be massively hit and miss, whilst Ipswich have gained pitman but lost mings, so no real improvement there.

Not sure I'd really agree with that. Boro haven't replaced their strikers from last year really, having lost both Bamford and vossen, Derby have a side of individuals rather than a team, burnley aren't that great and lost their key players, hull will be massively hit and miss, whilst Ipswich have gained pitman but lost mings, so no real improvement there.

Indeed, and that's not even touching on the "we should be top 2 or it's a failure" mentality.

They are reportedly in for Rhodes. If they don't get him they will get someone else. Derby had it in the bag until the Schteve stuff kicked off. They are stronger than last year no doubt.

Ipswich have made more improvements than that and have one of the best managers in the league.

Burnley have a good manager and yes they've lost Ings and trippier but have replaced well and have a stronger squad than what got promoted.

Hull I have no idea. On paper very good but who knows.

Indeed, and that's not even touching on the "we should be top 2 or it's a failure" mentality.

We've spent enough seasons over my life time either failing to get in the play-offs or failing in them. This season is a big chance to get promoted automatically. Last season was the best chance, next season won't be as easy as the upcoming season.

I never said below top 2 was failure either...

Blackburn surely can't sell both Rhodes and Gestede while under an embargo that means they can't get a replacement. They would be fucked.

Ipswich last season was massively impacted by Darryl Murphy's 27 goals - he hadn't done it before in his career - likelihood of lightening striking twice?

Blackburn surely can't sell both Rhodes and Gestede while under an embargo that means they can't get a replacement. They would be fucked.

They could technically get a replacement in but it would have to meet strict guidelines as to wages/fee etc.

If they don't sell Rhodes they'll almost certainly be under embargo for another season as well.

Ipswich last season was massively impacted by Darryl Murphy's 27 goals - he hadn't done it before in his career - likelihood of lightening striking twice?

Agree that it's unlikely that he'll be as good as last season but Ipswich will also have a fully fit David McGoldrick, Brett Pittman and Freddie Sears for a full season who looked useful last year.

Oh dear. It isn't deadline day either.

As if we have done great deadline day business too. We have a really tough August to start this season and the squad is still lacking depth.I see it, you see it, pretty much everyone agrees on the need for 2 or 3 yet we have done very little and this has been a pattern for a while. Do we want to challenge or are we happy mid table? If we want to challenge we do need more depth. Not big time charlies but our much vaunted scouting team do have a list and do know what they want. Above all we should hit the ground running and give the home fans cause for optimism.Imagine A couple of home defeats in August and you could see some bids coming in for Dicko and Afobe whose heads could be turned if they think the club lack ambition If that was on deadline day and that would be disastrous . Strike while the iron is hot and strengthen now. You may want to add a another on deadline day in case but we know we are at least 3 short NOW. Gayle would be a step in the right direction. He has tremendous potential but that appears to be bollocks too

Gayle would be great but I'm not sure he'd want to play third fiddle.

If we sell Afobe and Dicko I will streak down Dudley Street. It just will not happen in any sane universe.

Back